March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (SKB, skeettx, LRF, Lawrence Kotchek, Karl Graebner, canvasback), 880 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Overall I'd agree with Alexsey(H-D) except point that slugs wear the chokes. I shot mooses, bears and boars from smooth bore double gun and big issue in this case is barrels regulation. You can't regulate barrels yourself, but everybody can choose the right double with minimum cross at aprx. 50 yards. And its very important the POI from the first barrel you shoot, under or left or whatever. If the gun shoot well, but front sight doesn't match, replace it to right one, thin and better something like TruGlo. Install rear sight, if needed.
12G double gun loaded with heavy Brenneke slug or such is very effective spopper and vital at close distance up to 25 yards, if you going to shoot dangerous animals.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not sure that slugs exactly wear the chokes, but Geno, don't you know of cases when a good long-range gun stopped delivering effective long-range patterns after being shot with slugs? I don't know what causes that, wear in choked, micro bulge, or something else, but it does happen to some guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Humpty Dumpty
I'm not sure that slugs exactly wear the chokes, but Geno, don't you know of cases when a good long-range gun stopped delivering effective long-range patterns after being shot with slugs? I don't know what causes that, wear in choked, micro bulge, or something else, but it does happen to some guns.

Never heard about any problems in real. Sounds like 'just another grand-pa story' to me. Same with 'micro bulge'. Looks like you collect stories from guns.ru smile

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is great to hear from guys like Geno and Humpty Dumpty who "have been there and done that".

Questions:

1. About how many slug loads might need to be fired before negative effects are seen on long-range patterns? What kinds of negative effects have been noted? (E.g., reduction in pattern density and/or reduction in pattern evenness.) What kinds of slugs seem to be the worst offenders?

2. Has anyone actually measured the wear or damage that might result from firing slugs in choked d/b barrels. How might these effects compare to, say, firing a lot of buckshot loads?

3. I have heard it alleged that the soldering between barrels can be adversely affected by shooting slugs. Has this been noted?

4. Have either Geno or Humpty Dumpty ever tried choke-appropriate patched [?] round balls?

Sidelock
Sidelock

About 60 yrs. ago a hunter in our group used a shotgun with the Foster type slug. Forget the model no. but it was a Savage with a 28" full choked barrel. It would keep 5 slugs within the 8 ring of a 25 yard pistol target. It was the only long gun the fellow owned and was an excellent waterfowl hunter too. I don't believe slugs effected the choke in his barrel at all. In those shot charges were not in a cup, so as with slugs it was lead going down a steel barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I never heard of such damage.

Sidelock
Sidelock

1. Have to admit I've never been there personally. I've heard people, real people, who have no reason to disinform, complain about the problem, and other people, who witnessed it, confirm the cases. The cases involve tightly choked guns, slugs fired without checking out if they fit the chokes, and the loss of efficiency happened with a very limited number of shells fired, resulting in both density and evenness loss. The hunter would finish the bird season with the gun and everything's fine, then take the gun for its first big-game season, and everything's fine too, than come the next bird season and the hunter realizes he can't hit anything with the gun at long ranges any more. Might be something psychological, might be an old wives tale, wouldn't bet my bottom dollar on that, but the folks who taught me shotgunning warned me about this potential problem, and I'm passing the warning. Edit: the warning didn't imply that every choke will be damaged by any slug, just that it can happen if one is doesn't know what one is doing.

2. Not to my knowledge.

3. Me too, but the cases of barrells coming apart from firing slugs that I know of happened to the brands of guns that are notorious about ribs coming apart with anything harder than regular hunting use, so I'm not sure whether the culprit is shooting lots of shells or shooting lots of slugs.

4. Erm, yes, sort of. I loaded once a few of "old-timer" loads with a ball that would come through the full choke of my Izh54, paper hulls, felt&cardboard wads and black powder - it's a bother to get a 17.5 mm ball center in 20 mm hull, btw - but I didn't get to test-fire them for accuracy, and they ended up wasted during a plinking outing by my wife, busting up some outdated computer equipment smile So they worked, but I have no idea how well smile

Last edited by Humpty Dumpty; 09/13/11 09:09 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Years ago I wanted to go deer hunting. I owned one gun: Stevens 16 ga. SxS, bored IC&Mod. I got some Remington foster-style slugs and "sighted-in" at 40 yards. Left barrel shot 12"low and 12"right. Right barrel shot12" low and 12" left. Good enough for me; just need to allow a little Kentucky windage.

I never found out how it worked: didn't know much about deer hunting! On the other hand, I learned a lot about deer and what not to do when hunting them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Humpty Dumpty
1. Have to admit I've never been there personally. I've heard people, real people, who have no reason to disinform, complain about the problem, and other people, who witnessed it, confirm the cases. The cases involve tightly choked guns, slugs fired without checking out if they fit the chokes, and the loss of efficiency happened with a very limited number of shells fired, resulting in both density and evenness loss. The hunter would finish the bird season with the gun and everything's fine, then take the gun for its first big-game season, and everything's fine too, than come the next bird season and the hunter realizes he can't hit anything with the gun at long ranges any more. Might be something psychological, might be an old wives tale, wouldn't bet my bottom dollar on that, but the folks who taught me shotgunning warned me about this potential problem, and I'm passing the warning. Edit: the warning didn't imply that every choke will be damaged by any slug, just that it can happen if one is doesn't know what one is doing.

Do you really believe that? Me not. When people talk about long distance shooting effectiveness I make a face, that I hear very carefully laugh wink

Personally I try DO NOT shoot slugs through full chokes, anyway lead allow slug will be deformed through these chokes and accuracy will be poor. I prefer improved cylinder.

All cases with slugs I heard were associated with home made and reloded slugs. I could talk probably dozen of stories about human stupidity.

I believe I've never shoot round balls as using round balls at hunting is illegal here. Its dangerous, too much recochet.

Geno.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.