April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, Ted Schefelbein, Jtplumb), 182 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,046
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

I once had a Sauer that was hard to open after firing. The extractors did not have full free travel; starting to get tight just before seating in the breech recess.

Filed the ends of the extractors and worked fine. Too tight a fit;; needed more clearance.

Last edited by 2holer; 09/11/11 06:47 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gene..is that you 3 grains over max plus a different shellcase load ? smile
franc

Last edited by Franc Otte; 09/11/11 08:50 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Before you get too involved in mechanical reasons the gun is hard to open, clean the chambers really well. Use some scotch brite on the end of your cleaning tool along with some solvent/oil and really scour it clean. I have cured two doubles of really stiff opening problems with nothing more. If the chambers are not clean it is possible for them to retain the hulls requiring quite a bit of leverage to get the gun open. Also cured a couple of semi autos which wouldn't properly function the same way.

Sidelock
Sidelock

First thing I'd do would be to look at my ammo.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Stevens doubles are pretty simple and if it opens fine before fired, then it should open fine after firing (in theory).
If the pins are not sticking in the primers, then you can rule that out.

Another thing to check would be if it is in fact the cocking mechanism. The Stevens 5100 (311) cocks by the barrels lifting an arm in the base of the action. What I would do is uncock it (by dry firing it against a block of wood as to not chance breaking the pins), and then assemble the gun and open it (to cock it) without anything in the chambers. If it opens fine at that time, then the issue is related to the shells being in the chambers.

What type of ammo are you using? I have found that some of the cheap Winchester target loads (from walmart) what to expand the matal base when fired and make them stick up in the chambers of some guns. This also loosens the metal base on the shell as well. I have had some guns where I cannot put a fired shell back into the chamber due to the expansion of the shell base.
I also once had an ejector single shot that would not eject the shell due to this issue as well. Talk about a pain in the ass at the trap range...

B.Dudley
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to all who responded. The shotgun will indeed open, it's not locked, but it's difficult to fully open it.

I'm using Fiochi hulls with 16.5 gr. of Green Dot.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
First thing I'd do would be to look at my ammo.

Me too.
It could be ejector-extractor wear. In this case it's possible to see some tracks/swellings on hull cooper.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Genelang
Thanks to all who responded. The shotgun will indeed open, it's not locked, but it's difficult to fully open it.

Genelang, you may be talking about the built in limit in the gape of the 311 which is there on purpose to prevent your shells from falling out when you carry it open. That's a pretty handy feature IMHO, and I wouldn't try to change it. There is a way to do something with the cocking rods to allow the 311 to gape fully open...Geo

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.