April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ted Schefelbein, NTaxiarchis, Jtplumb), 334 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,474
Posts545,167
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Because I hunt every day of the bird season, and change guns almost every day, I have seperate identical vests clearly labeled with the guage....Aint I smart?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
=italiansxs Would anyone on this forum like to take 100 different 12 ga shotguns drop a 20 ga shell in and then put in a 12 ga shell and pull the trigger? One incident or even two or three incidents statistically tells you nothing . That's one of the reasons I've never agreed with the conclusions of Sherman Bell's damascus vs. fluid steel testing as it was far too limited(sample size wise)in scope to have any real validity
Jim

Sherman Bell's sample size has been increased exponentially by all of us shooting twist and damascus barrel guns. I haven't read of too many failures, have you?

Sidelock
Sidelock

The link on the Birmingham Proof House website to this research report doesn't work but I found it on a British website "Pigeonshooter" absent the artwork. The wildly varying pressures in these tests tells me that sometimes the gun would be unhurt, sometimes bulge a barrel and sometimes suffer catastrophic failure. The odds look poor enough that I'll do all I can to prevent a 20 gauge shell getting into a 12 gauge gun or a 28 gauge shell getting into a 20 gauge gun.

http://pigeonshooterhomepage.webs.com/safteyandthelaw.htm

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: FlyChamps
The link on the Birmingham Proof House website to this research report doesn't work but I found it on a British website "Pigeonshooter" absent the artwork. The wildly varying pressures in these tests tells me that sometimes the gun would be unhurt, sometimes bulge a barrel and sometimes suffer catastrophic failure. The odds look poor enough that I'll do all I can to prevent a 20 gauge shell getting into a 12 gauge gun or a 28 gauge shell getting into a 20 gauge gun.

http://pigeonshooterhomepage.webs.com/safteyandthelaw.htm

Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone of this study. In the US today we risk having the federal government through OSHA mandate an outright ban of 20ga shells to protect against an accident from occuring.

Sidelock
Sidelock

fifty odd years ago olin had a film of a shooting accident a 20 gauge shell in 12 ga. berral the shooter lost a few fingers. I believe it was a safety film.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: italiansxs
One incident or even two or three incidents statistically tells you nothing . That's one of the reasons I've never agreed with the conclusions of Sherman Bell's damascus vs. fluid steel testing as it was far too limited(sample size wise)in scope to have any real validity
Jim

I was thinking the same thing...his tests proved nothing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Experts on Guns and Shooting George Teasdale Teasdale-Buckell 1900
http://books.google.com/books?id=4xRmHkr7Lp8C

On the subject of steel v. Damascus, Mr Stephen Grant is very clear, and much prefers Damascus for hard working guns. He related an anecdote of one of his patrons, whose keeper stupidly put a 12-bore cartridge into his masters gun without knowing that he had previously inserted a 20-case, which had stuffed up the barrel. Fortunately, no burst occurred, but a big bulge, which, however, Mr Grant hammered down, and the gun is now as good as ever.

Last edited by Drew Hause; 09/22/11 09:29 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: HomelessjOe
Originally Posted By: italiansxs
One incident or even two or three incidents statistically tells you nothing . That's one of the reasons I've never agreed with the conclusions of Sherman Bell's damascus vs. fluid steel testing as it was far too limited(sample size wise)in scope to have any real validity
Jim

I was thinking the same thing...his tests proved nothing.

There are so many variations in shotgun barrels, especially older ones I don't believe you could ever get enough similar to each other in construction and condition to have a Statisticly valid test - you probably could on later Barrels but that is not the area of interest.

Bell provided antecdotal evidence which is better than none, IMO.

Last edited by postoak; 09/22/11 02:09 PM.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a 20ga barrel off a Beretta Semi Auto which was fired with a 28ga shell lodge forward of the chamber. The barrel didn't fail catastrophically but there is a slight bulge and that is at a relatively thick area just ahead of the forcing cone. It was donated by a member of this board to my Hunter Education classes and is now sectioned so the students can see just where the smaller case lodges and what can happen. Will the barrel rupture or bulge every time - probably not. We are not worried about everytime, only those which do fail and can cause injury to the shooter. Homeless showed you photos of an o/u which blew right at the chamber. That was either a really gross over charge with perhaps the wrong powder or with an obstruction just at the forcing cone. Now what could lodge just at the forcing cone and go unnoticed. Squib loads normally clear the shot and leave the wad about half way down the bore which is where a squib rupture would show up. I suspect it was a smaller gauge shell.

Sidelock
Sidelock

They should have tried with English gun with long string from behind solid cover. I heard the "blow up" nicely. I would not test this but I suspect most resistant to damage SxS would be Russian IZH.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.