April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, Stanton Hillis, Sandlapper, Ted Schefelbein, Replacement, 1 invisible), 1,147 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,271
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
PA24 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For me, too much engraving is similar to a gaudy metal flake paint job on a beautiful sports car....and gold triggers and enlays are really tacky looking to me......(and yes, I have some).....your opinion......

Third world dictators love engraving and gold/silver plating to the extreme for some reason.......signifies power maybe....?....

It seems so many shotgun lovers base the quality of a piece soley on the engraving.....?.....Is it like makeup on a hooker or not, the more the merrier......?........Does it show quality and usefulness above that of the same piece that has no engraving.....?.....

Where do you draw the line.....?.....

Best Regards,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

Engraving can make a good gun great, engraving can make a great gun poor---it is totally dependent on the quality and competency of the engraver. Ditto for gold--when done sparingly.

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am not in lust for anything plated in gold or with great inlays. They are pearl handled pistols to me
In some respects beauty is simply a matter of taste, opinion, previous experience. For me elegance is understatement; however beauty still exists even in the most intense and complex if it has balance and symmetry. Appropriateness of design is a matter of taste, nudes, grotesque figures, and alike are not my cup of tea on a gun, but if someone else likes them, then fine for them, just not me. I find the fine bulino pictures inscribed on some guns today beautiful, but I question their durability over time.
My preference is to scroll work, both English traditional and Celtic. My best guns are a Belgian floral ribbon and scroll that I like.

Last edited by old colonel; 10/22/11 08:49 AM.

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with both Doug and the Colonel. I enjoy seeing when Walt Snyder posts pics of his high grade Ithacas or someone posts pictures of a high grade Lefever or LC Smith. As long as it is well executed like the English Rose and Scroll I think its fitting but its all a matter of each persons individual taste.
Would I personally take them hunting, no, but then again a fellow I know saw someone throw a Thomas Boss into the back of his Escalade after shooting a few rounds of sporting clays.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Engraving falls into the category of "art". As such, opinions will be all over the map.

I appreciate well executed engraving of most any style, have a banker's taste on a ditchdigger's budget, and so, have few engraved guns.

My taste runs toward game or game scenes appropriately matched to the gun type and gauge/caliber at hand. I don't care for the Germanic rabbit/deer scenes on a shotgun. I appreciate the complexity, craftsmanship, and labor of large fields of English fine scroll, but it's like watching the mandatory "figures" portion of "figure skating"...boring.

There's enough 'flying turnips' in my collection that I don't care to have anymore. The engraving on my Beschi 410 NID grade 4 copy looks pretty bad to me. Heavy handed.

A little gold is ok with me, but it definitely has limits with me. The Winchester pumps with the -5 pattern (no gold) are a favorite of mine. With gold, they are not quite as attractive to me, but I still like them. I've gone back and forth on whether to have my 42 engraved or leave it plain.

Some of the Galazan high end Fox guns that we've seen with multi-color gold ribbons and scroll all over, just leave me laughing.

Last edited by Chuck H; 10/22/11 09:40 AM.
PA24 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Engraving falls into the category of "art". As such, opinions will be all over the map.

I appreciate the complexity, craftsmanship, and labor of large fields of English fine scroll, but it's like watching the mandatory "figures" portion of "figure skating"...boring.

Very well said .......

+1..............................I'd leave the 42 alone Chuck....JMO... smile

Best,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like it well done, or not at all. No rolled, imprinted nonsense. Have mixed feelings about the acid etched work on Beretta O/U's. Relief panels, bolder scroll borders, and chiseled fences are fine with me--and animals if well executed (esp. deep relief). Gold barrel bands and matching lines on front sights seem appropriate. I don't even mind gold lines on the scope rings to match. I am glad some folks can afford to keep the craft extant. The arts have always needed patrons...Steve
P.S. does anyone know how the Sabatti double rifles are "engraved?"

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would prefer no engraving. I only have two guns engraved, an Ithaca 37 and my Sarriugarte. The Ithaca has minimal engraving from the factory. The Sarriugarte has scroll/floral engraving, enough that I'm going to be aggravated when I reassemble the thing to get the engraved screws just right. I will say that properly done it is beautiful.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
PA24 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: steve white
I like it well done, or not at all. No rolled, imprinted nonsense. Have mixed feelings about the acid etched work on Beretta O/U's. Relief panels, bolder scroll borders, and chiseled fences are fine with me--and animals if well executed (esp. deep relief). Gold barrel bands and matching lines on front sights seem appropriate. I don't even mind gold lines on the scope rings to match. I am glad some folks can afford to keep the craft extant. The arts have always needed patrons...Steve
P.S. does anyone know how the Sabatti double rifles are "engraved?"

A couple of Browning High Grades, I'm not sure how they applied the engraving, but it sure is nicely done and fairly deep and detailed very well.... an 1886 in 45-70 one of 3,000....and a Model 71 rifle in .348......Browning made these for two years only, 1986 and 1987.......

There are no raised edges indicating depression forming/rolling on any of the engraving..... It has highs and lows appearing as hand cut engraving......but I don't think it was hand cut......whatever the process, it was/is a good one.....

The older Herstel Brownings, rifles and shotguns (pre-1970 and the current Herstel custom shop), had very nice and not overly done hand cut engraving for many years,.....well executed IMO.....

Steve, I don't know who did the Sabatti guns but I'm sure someone on here will know.....

1886 Browning High Grade 45-70 Rifle.....

Model 71 Browning High Grade Rifle .348 W.....

Best Regards,

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

I like upland game scene engraving, dogs and birds together. The early L.C. Smiths had some very nice engraving of dogs and mostly quail, some grouse and either woodcock or snipe.
On the higher graded guns only the most skilled worked on these guns, and I would believe that would include the engravers as well.

David

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.