April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (SKB, montenegrin, GETTEMANS, Replacement, LeFusil, 1 invisible), 377 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,147
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't know if Savage ever made the rifle on the letter head but very fancy.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quite a few of those old original 99s could benefit from a recrown job. My most recent one was actually a 303 1895 model made by Marlin, and it keyholed bullets regularly. I had a 30-06 finshing reamer with no throat and I ran it into the muzzle for 1/4" until I could see sharp rifling. No further smoothing of the crown and it then shot into 1.25 MOA with open sights.

Durn good rifle for its day!
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is Kurt's 99, .22HP. I rust blued the barrel and installed a steel buttplate. Question directed to Kurt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

There seems to be a small revival of interest in the .22HP I'm
thinking ofassembling one from a melange of parts. First, I have a new 24" Massachusetts barrel, probably early 1960s, square breech threads, same contour as the usual EG or R barrel, made as a spare part and obtained a few years ago from the gent who used to sell Savage parts on the Savage Collectors forum on 24 Hours. For an action I have a straight grip .22HP from a solid frame featherweight. Serial number is about 260,000 or 266,000 when the heat treaatment changed - I forge6 which it is.
Stocks woould be fromn a Brush Gun - I don't care from the finger grooves but have to use the forend for something.
Sght would be a Kollmorgen BearCub 4x in a Stith mount, all from the 1950s. These old scopes are quite decent optically albeit they do not have a self centering reticle. This is a comparatively heavy barrel for a .22HP. I have only seem one, a FWTD sold at Amoskeag several years ao that had been back to the factory in the '20s for an extra 26" .303 contour barrel in .22HP. The gun was mint but I dropped out of the bidding around 2g. I wonder who has it and whether he has shot it. I also vaguely remember an article by Allyn Tedmon in the
Rifleman in the 30s or 40s about a long barrel 99 with a MAlcolm scope -there waz a picture of it. The FWs TDs had a terrible reputation for accuracy- probably the TD, and when Whelen had G&H make him a .250 he had the barrel soldered in place. It wax the first rifle Whelen got a 1" ten shot group from. We in th Rifled Arms HIstorical Assn own it today and it s6ill shoots lt wonderfully well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

correction, serial no. is abve the deviding line.

KVN Offline
Boxlock
Boxlock

Originally Posted By: mkbenenson
There seems to be a small revival of interest in the .22HP I'm
thinking ofassembling one from a melange of parts. First, I have a new 24" Massachusetts barrel, probably early 1960s, square breech threads, same contour as the usual EG or R barrel, made as a spare part and obtained a few years ago from the gent who used to sell Savage parts on the Savage Collectors forum on 24 Hours. For an action I have a straight grip .22HP from a solid frame featherweight. Serial number is about 260,000 or 266,000 when the heat treaatment changed - I forge6 which it is.
Stocks woould be fromn a Brush Gun - I don't care from the finger grooves but have to use the forend for something.
Sght would be a Kollmorgen BearCub 4x in a Stith mount, all from the 1950s. These old scopes are quite decent optically albeit they do not have a self centering reticle. This is a comparatively heavy barrel for a .22HP. I have only seem one, a FWTD sold at Amoskeag several years ao that had been back to the factory in the '20s for an extra 26" .303 contour barrel in .22HP. The gun was mint but I dropped out of the bidding around 2g. I wonder who has it and whether he has shot it. I also vaguely remember an article by Allyn Tedmon in the
Rifleman in the 30s or 40s about a long barrel 99 with a MAlcolm scope -there waz a picture of it. The FWs TDs had a terrible reputation for accuracy- probably the TD, and when Whelen had G&H make him a .250 he had the barrel soldered in place. It wax the first rifle Whelen got a 1" ten shot group from. We in th Rifled Arms HIstorical Assn own it today and it s6ill shoots lt wonderfully well.

A long-barreled, sold frame .22 H.P. 99 with Stith mounts would be pretty cool! If you decide to go forward with this project, keep us posted.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've decided to incorporate a Pac-Nor .228" HP barrel into my current 1899 takedown custom project too. It already has a .25/35 barrel fitted. No scope, just a Lyman 30˝ tang sight. Progress is slow (Mausers keep getting in the way!), pics to follow on completion. I can't afford to go out and buy pretty pre-war original custom jobs, so I'm forced to build them myself- a little at a time!

Last edited by Gary D.; 11/15/11 01:16 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I am puzzled, altho grateful, that Savage made a solid frame .22HP barrel as a spare part after the move to Massachusetts. I see no reason why the .22HP should not shoot as well as any .22 on the .30-30 case with good bullets.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Absolutely Mark. Making that caliber work in an original Savage Takedown rifle can be a real challenge, but it can be done. It should be a piece of cake in a solid frame. Having a fresh barrel with (hopefully) a decently tight chamber is another plus. Your barrel is only the second one of that nature I have heard of.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark may have identified a part (good bullets in factory ammo) of the original problem with the Savage 1899 Takedown. The 22HP did not receive all the developmental work (mostly from 3rd party makers) that went into .224 bullets for the wildcat 22s based on the 30-30 case. Savage made 1899 Takedown rifles in other calibers. Do rifles in those other calibers have the same reputation for lack of accuracy?

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.