April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (dblgnfix, ClapperZapper, Ian Forrester, AGS, Gunning Bird, 2 invisible), 410 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,060
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#22143 01/26/07 12:22 AM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

AMMO FOR VINTAGE SHOTGUNS
Available exclusively through Midway USA, Federal's newest Gold Medal load is completely safe to shoot in all types of vintage shotguns built to handle modern ammunition(??????????) The 2-3/4", 12 ga. shell contains a 7/8 oz.-payoad of 7-1/2 shot with a muzzle velocity of 1200 fps.................................
The above appeared in the latest Rifleman.

How were "vintage shotguns" built "to handle modern ammunition"???
They might be fine, but there was no mention of pressure.
Whadya think?

> Jim Legg <

tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think I'd send an email to Federal and ask them what the pressure is.

The problem with ads is they are usually written by ad people. Ever see one of the cigarette ads with some Macho man holding a fishing rod with spinning reel on top side, i.e., upside down !? No telling how many tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars were spent to convince any real outdoor person that they were complete idiots, knowing nothing at all about fishing ..so much for 'Mr. Macho man'

Federal will likely give you the pressure, if you ask. Ad guys are just that. They are selling ads, and that is quite likely all. And just as likely the ads are being approved by someone else who in fact does not have many.

tw #22155 01/26/07 07:17 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

From Midway USA
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=417403

Quote:
Federal Vintage Gold Medal Ammunition 12 Gauge 2-3/4" 7/8 oz #7-1/2 Shot Box of 25 (Not for Use in Semi-Autos)

This vintage ammunition was produced specifically for MidwayUSA to the following specifications:

7/8 oz shot, 1200 feet per second velocity, 5,000 pounds of chamber pressure

These specifications were designed to be kind and gentle to all older break-open shotguns that are safe to shoot with modern ammunition. This ammunition is also ideal for trap and skeet practice, or for use as a light game load - wherever a 20 gauge load would be acceptable. Perfect for lightweight game guns, for youth shooting or for anyone sensitive to recoil. Will not cycle most semi-auto actions.

When you click Technical Specifications & Use the above is repeated with this addition:

Quote:
MidwayUSA does not claim or guarantee that this ammunition is safe to shoot in older guns, or any gun, for that matter, and we recommend that you have any older gun examined by a competent gunsmith or other authority before firing.

This is the only gauge, length, loading that they carry. They are selling them by the box-$6.99 and flat-$64.99.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

What they are probably talking about is your Model 21, Parker, LC Smith type guns. I use the same loads in my Model 21 as I do in my Ljutic without batting an eye. 1 1/4 oz.- 17 gr of Titewad- around 1150 fps and about 10-10,500 PSI depending on which wad I use. Usually a figure 8. But a lot of your older guns like damascus can't take these high pressures..... The disclaimer is because they can't be responsible, even with their low pressures, that someone's damascus or a thin walled gun is going to hold up. The shells are made for a gun that needs to have low pressures, but they can't guarantee a gun that they have never seen or inspected. Even if they did, who's to say a barrel obstruction won't occur? It keeps them out of a lawsuit. At least, that is the way I take it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If that 5,000 psi is correct, those shells would be safe in just about anything that's safe to shoot, period. Would be interesting to have them pressure tested by someone like Tom Armbrust.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sherman Bell's last two articles in DGJ were about shooting proof loads through Damascus barreled guns. He used 15 different guns, Remingtons, Parker, L.C. Smiths. His loads were Remington High Pressure 2 3/4" shells with 1 1/2 oz of #9 shot, wad is RP12 SAAMI loads. The velocities were taken with each gun and recorded, looks like it averaged a little over 1400 FPS and pressures were 18,000 psi. Each gun was held down in a Caldwell lead sled. Not one of the Damascus bareled guns received any damge to the barrels, one had the wood crack through the wrist.

He also stated that he does not approve of shooting modern high pressure shells through Damascus barreled guns, and that they should be checked out by a compatent gun smith.

Many articles and some great information on the 16 ga Reloaders Group on low pressure shells.
Most feel that on older guns with Damascus barrels and even steel barrels should have no more than 8,000 psi loads through them.

David

Boxlock
Boxlock

I use the federal shells from Midway in my LC Smith with damascus barrels. Virtually no recoil and they work good on grouse. Less recoil then the winchester lite loads I was using. I worry about cracking a stock as I had that happen to a Savage Fox.

Newby question:

I wonder why they are in 2 3/4 and not 2 1/2? Aren't you running a risk with the shorter chambered guns with this load?

Todd

Youth is stolen by Wisdom.
Ozpa #22254 01/26/07 06:26 PM

How do these loads compare with the Winchester Featherlite low-noise/low-recoil trap and skeet loads available at most ranges?

Sample my new book at http://www.theweemadroad.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

The Winchester featherlites are SLOW...about 900fps, and 5000psi, as I recall. Low enough pressure for most guns, OK at the clay birds, a little pokey for wild bird hunting.

A 2 3/4 length shell loaded at low pressure is a non-issue. The pressure is what you need to be concerned with, not the length.
Best,
Ted

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.