April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
13 members (David Williamson, Birdog, dearmer, graybeardtmm3, 3 invisible), 257 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,036
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
CJO Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Im looking for some pictures to be able to ascertain what the correct checkering pattern looked like on an early straight grip B grade
I found a couple on the net but Im not sure theyre correct, any help would be appreciated

Thanks

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

The B-/BE-Grade pictured in the 1907 A.H. Fox Gun Co. catalogue is a straight grip gun --

Over the years, I've seen a lot of slight variations in B-/BE-Grade checkering. All the A.H. Fox Gun Co. catalogues I have from 1908 through the end of the B-/BE-Grade show the half-pistol grip, as do the 1905 and the 1906/07.

cgs Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

CJ,

Here is a link to one that I did a wood restoration on a few years ago. The grip panels were small, angular and very unattractive but all original.

Hope this helps.

http://www.classicgunstocks.com/A.H.html

Best, Dan

Sidelock
Sidelock

CJ don't you think it time you showed us a few of your projects.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I always liked those B grade Foxes.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Cladio, here you go. Per the records.... one of only nine 32" straight grip B Grades (12 gauge) made with second gen engraving. Frank

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
CJO Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thank you Reasercher, and Dan, I can see the pattern is quite plainnot sure if I should deviate from the norm but I think I will a little.

Frank.since I put a nice piece of wood on it perhaps will do it to look more like the picture on your gunI also will not put a pad or plate on it, I will leave it with a checkered butt, more flexible that wayif I need a pad I can always add one later.

Joe, are you sure you want to see more of my stuff?plenty of how tos on the board as of late, dont want to steal anyones thunder you know

All best

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

CJ,
If you don't want to deviate much from the orig pattern, I'd recommend just elongating the grip pattern a bit by pushing the forward "V" up a little (maybe and inch) on the grip more like Silvers' later pattern. That should change the aspect ratio to be more pleasing without really deviating into "custom" styling.

CJO Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Frank, are you telling me there were 9 made in total?......yours and mine make 2, are there any more that you know of ?

Chuck, I guess in this case I should keep it as original as possiblemaybe even put a butt plate on.

CJ

Sidelock
Sidelock

CJ, yep.... a summary done by Fox Director Craig Larter in the Spring 2011 AHFCA newsletter shows a production total of only 9 straight grip 12 gauge 32" B Grades with 2nd gen Gough engraving. The newsletter summary shows complete 2nd gen/B Grade/12 gauge production stats by barrel length and stock grip style

The cutover from the early B to 2nd gen B frame engraving occurred in about October 1913, and Craig used s/n 20261 as the first gun in the summary. It's the earliest B Grade s/n that has "New Style Engraving" noted on its production record card.

One of our members sold a 32" BE straight grip a year or two ago, however (as I recall) its stock was refinished and checkering modified somewhat and recut. That's the only other 12 gauge 32" 2nd gen B Grade straight grip Fox I've ever seen or heard of. The gun in the pic I posted is all original except for a replaced genuine S W Silver's pad.

AHFCA members get two very informative newsletters per year, and membership is well worth $30.00 per annum. Please readers, don't ask me to cite how many BE's were made with other barrel lengths or stock styles. That info was provided for members only; join the AHFCA and you can read all the past newsletters on line in the Members' archives. Frank Silvers

http://www.foxcollectors.com/ah_fox/content/

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.