April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (WJW), 1,065 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,142
Members14,409
Most Online1,299
Apr 26th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Guys, I recently purchased a Beretta/Orvis Uplander. It has a straight grip and slim forend. I'd like to do some "upgrades". I thought about restocking the gun (work done by Coles). But I've also considered changing the finish on the action. Right now, it has a blued receiver (polished... not matte). But I thought about color casing it... or even better, would be a "French Gray".... kinda like the finish found on the old 682s...

I found this gun and I just love the look of the receiver and how it goes with the high grade wood.

Any reccomendations or thoughts? If you have an upgraded Beretta, please share photos!

Thanks for your input!

Adam

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why? If the gun doesn't meet your needs/standards the lest expensive way to get what you want is to sell it or trade it to get one that does. It isn't as if you are working with a rare or extremely high end gun here. You will get more for your money this way than the upgrade route and that buttplate is hideous!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Adam,

To my knowledge, the gun you have there is a Beretta 686 Black Onyx (or White Onyx) that has been enhanced by Orvis' special upgrades.

Bottom line, when I had to restore one I had I needed to use HK tactical finish on the receiver (Duracote) because the metal could not be blued or color hardened. I believe the receiver is Aluminum or an alloy thereof. Incidentally, the black painted on matte finish looked excellent and the gun did sell after full restoration for $3000, so it certainly didn't turn out as cheezy as it sounds. (the entire value of these guns are the Orvis upgraded wood with the leather covered pads and the 28 LPI checkering)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Adam - Coles does CCH and engraving work as well as restocking. I don't know what it cost you to buy the Beretta Uplander, but it may be cheaper just to have Coles build you a custom Beretta from scratch than have him restock and refinish your gun. I think his basic custom (687 non-sideplated action, CCH, no engraving, custom stock) is in the $6k range, and $8k and up if you want engraving.

The silver finish Berettas have a coating on the action that I believe would make engraving and CCH difficult if not impossible. I am not sure if they used that same finish for the blued actions.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have owned 680 series Berettas for about 25 years now, think they are the best $1200 over under gun ever made. No matter what upgrades you perform, the 680 series will never be a $5000, much less an $8000 gun. If you want a fine Beretta 12 gauge, find and restock an ASEL or a nice old SO.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Adam,
If you have enough wood to change out the pad for a leather covered one and add two triggers that should satisfy the customizing urge for a lot less money than a full restock, etc. I had Cole upgrade a 20 gauge 686 DU banquet gun with his "field grade" wood and double triggers. The wood had plenty of figure for the $300 it cost but is no where near the beauty of the wood on your gun. My original wood was pallet grade. The double triggers cost was just under $300. The wood on your gun looks pretty good to me, but do something with the pad if possible. Gil

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Sorry for the confusion guys. The gun pictured above is not my Beretta. Its a 682 I found. I just like the way the finish on the action looked with the high grade wood. I'd like to achieve something like this with my Beretta.

I don't have a photo of my new gun but here is a shot of another Orvis Uplander that I've owned. My newer one is basically the same except the figure in the wood is not as nice as the one pictured below.

Another route I thought about, was sending the current stock and forend to fellow board member, Mark Larson, and let him "enhance" the figure.

Regardless, I'd still like the refinish the action. Its not a matte blue like you often see on the Onyx models so it can easily be refinished. There is quite a bit of wear on the edges. Any recommendations for a good smith to "French Gray" the action?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Adam,

Read my post again. It's an alloy receiver. Standard finishes may not be possible.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Beretta used several finishes on the 680 series of actions including a “painted” finish which is like a Duracote finish (682X), the Greystone finish which I think is an electro deposited finish as well as a satin nickel finish. I believe this satin nickel finish is what is on the gun displayed above.
The 680 actions are apparently capable of having a color case hardened finish as is seen on the Coles website. However, I do believe that they are made of an alloy that does not accept traditional bluing well due to the particular alloy - not aluminum. For that reason, I believe that all of the Beretta production guns are either electro deposited with nickel or similar finish or are “painted”.
I would think that a gunsmith that can due electroless nickel deposition, like on a K80, could do a Beretta 680 series action. If you want to have a case hardened look, then I would try Coles.
Thanks
Z

Sidelock
Sidelock

You will probably exceed what you have into the gun already,and never be able to recoup it either.Your best bet in my opinion,is to have your metal fully nickle plated,and have your wood stripped and oil finished.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.