April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, Lloyd3, Jeremy Pearce, gunmaker, rtw, 1 invisible), 898 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,819
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#256878 12/17/11 07:52 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The temperature has been down to zero for a week here. The American Falls reservoir is now frozen over and the only open water is where the rivers enter the reservoir. This water is 19 miles long and 12 miles wide and is a major water fowl migration stop over. Many of the birds now leave and go south. The birds that stay move into the river bottoms and springs that feed the reservoir. We call this huge area the “bottoms”. Below is a hunt I had this week in my 1946 Ford coupe.

David

#1. Here is where I arrive at the bluff overlooking the river bottoms entering the Fort Hall Indian Reservation.

#2. This is where I choose to enter the “bottoms”. The temp is 8 degrees and the heater in the 1946 Flathead Ford is working nicely.

#3. This is Spring Creek. I have spent the last 60 years hunting and fishing this space. It is special to me. As each fall comes I cannot get it out of my system.

#4.5,6. Most of Idaho is open range but there are fences. These are Indian ponies and they just run loose here on the bottoms. They are fun to watch in their “wild” state.

#7. These bastxxds are neither fun or amusing. You always give them the path and stay clear. They belong to the Shoshone Bannock Indian Tribe. The tribe raises the Buffalo and then sells them, trades them, and eats them for sustenance. I have always preferred eating Elk to the buffalo.

#8. This is where I hide my car. Others do not need to know where I am hunting.

#9. My companions for this day are a 1935 Browning and “Lucky Duck”.

#10. This is my secret bridge to the hunting area. I and the coyote are the only hunters on the bridge these days.

#12. Beaver dams create 2 miles of ponds that do not freeze. This is good waterfowl habitat.

#14. This was the first duck to challenge the Superposed this day. This old gun and I are in tune and do well. Before the end of the day I had 3 ducks and one lone goose. About 3 hours in I was almost 2 miles from the car, a little wet and getting cold. I had all the birds I wanted to carry so I called it a day and headed to the car to warm up. The heater in the old Ford still works like new and the smell of the mohair interior made the ride home magical with many thoughts of days gone by. I am old now, but this is always a new experience for me,and I cherish it!
[img]http://myweb.cableone.net/plien/pictures/11duck014.jpg[/img]

#15. I arrived home with my take for the day. I was tired and cold but it was a day well lived......
[img]http://myweb.cableone.net/plien/pictures/11duck015.jpg[/img]

I see that Miss Mary ((wife of 50+)) has our christmas tree up. (Window)
[img]http://myweb.cableone.net/plien/pictures/11duck016.jpg[/img]

Sidelock
Sidelock

David: Nice day in the field and thank you for sharing a piece of it with us. The only thing that might make it better is a furry canine! Gil

[IMG]
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Here are the rest of my pics that did not show up in the first post.

David

#14. This was the first duck to challenge the Superposed this day. This old gun and I are in tune and do well. Before the end of the day I had 3 ducks and one lone goose. About 3 hours in I was almost 2 miles from the car, a little wet and getting cold. I had all the birds I wanted to carry so I called it a day and headed to the car to warm up. The heater in the old Ford still works like new and the smell of the mohair interior made the ride home magical with many thoughts of days gone by. I am old now, but this is always a new experience for me,and I cherish it!

#15. I arrived home with my take for the day. I was tired and cold but it was a day well lived......

I see that Miss Mary ((wife of 50+)) has our christmas tree up. (Window)

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great story and I love the car. My first car was the old family 1950 Ford 2 door sedan with a flat head. My dad fished out of it for years.

W. E. Boyd
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great picures and nice description to go with them. Glad to see there are still some wilderness areas left.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

You are the man! Helluva day. Love the vehicle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

David, great pictures and story. Thanks for sharing.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Really wonderful story and pictures. Made me forget my health issues for awhile.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I love that old Ford and your great pictures! You are a fortunate man to have a great place to hunt.When i was a boy i use to hunt and fish with a man who had a burgandy colored 46 Ford. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Very much enjoyed the photos and essay-thanks!

Nice to learn something new about my native state. Didn't know the Shoshone Bannock's raised bison or anything about the bottoms.

Cameron Hughes
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.