May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 685 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,638
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Unfortunately Marc, it is not a droplock, I have seen one or two sidelevers but never one that was a "best" with droplocks. I am not even sure they ever made one, I have a friend who worked at Westley for a number of years and still has a couple of mates there. I am going to ask if he can get someone to go through the archive and see if they did make any, great thread, best, Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your friendly words. Im glad you enjoyed my presentation.

Originally Posted By: lagopus
Out of interest, the License to Kill Game was only abolished here in England a few years ago. By then it cost 6 from the Post Office and remained more or less identical to the one in the photograph. At 3 then at the side of the cost of the case at 3.10 shillings shows just how expensive it was for the license. When it was abolished it cost 6 for the year which was more than the administration cost to issue it.

Hi Lagopus,

thanks for pointing me to the high costs of the License to Kill Game. Actually, I didnt notice it, but you are right: very expensive! This license is of special interest for me, because as a side collection I do collect vintage German hunting licenses. So I have a weak tooth as we say here for such papers. And the German licenses were also expensive, but the costs were only 1/3 of an English license. But still expensive anyway. And the high costs were intended by the Government to limit the number of hunters. I guess, it will have been the same in England.
Frank Albrechts license is my first English hunting license and my first license directly connected to a gun I own.

Originally Posted By: Kensal Rise
Sauerfan:
A fine gun indeed. Reminds me of my latest droplock. And... as you have so delightfully discovered, the story behind the gun is often as rewarding as the gun itself. Sometimes, more so.

Hi Kensal Rise,

wow.... reminds you of your latest droplock? I have now a picture in my head showing a six feet long rack filled with droplocks..

Anyway: I agree: the story behind the gun is often as rewarding as the gun itself. Actually, its the first time one of my guns comes with a more or less complete documentation about provenance/history. I was dreaming for such a documentation since very, very long..

Originally Posted By: GETTEMANS
This is the best detailed topic I have ever seen on this forum, my congratulations.
Mike, your side lever W. Richards, just what you are looking for you can find here
http://www.gunshop-eb.co.uk/Englishguns.php
Marc.

Marc,

many thanks for your compliments!

Regarding the sidelever you found: its not a Westley Richards, but a W. Richards, Liverpool, whats a totally different company:

http://www.wrichardsguns.co.uk/history.htm

Now its time for a confession: the snap caps of my Westley Richards arent made for Westley Richards, but for W. Richards, Liverpool.

I guess, Frank or Charles Albrecht bought these snap caps in Liverpool (where they were doing business) at W. Richards.

Best regards

Martin

Last edited by sauerfan; 12/31/11 06:05 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Martin:
Envy not. I've owned only two Westley droplocks in my life. Sold the first. Now have another that is about the same level of finish as yours with straight hand grip and detachable bottom plate.

Yours has the historical upper hand however. But I encourage you to shoot it. That's what they're made for!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great gun with the story to match. Hard to type as I am drooling onto my phone. Thanks for sharing.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Kensal Rise
Martin:
Envy not. I've owned only two Westley droplocks in my life. Sold the first. Now have another that is about the same level of finish as yours with straight hand grip and detachable bottom plate.

Yours has the historical upper hand however. But I encourage you to shoot it. That's what they're made for!

Hi Kensal,

Rest assured: I will shoot the gun. For this purpose I ordered from Westley Richards a leather covered hand guard, which arrived together with copies from their ledgers.

The wrapping paper alone

class and style. I like that.

Regards

Martin

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sauerfan, do yourself a favour, use a glove on the front hand instead. One day after you have shot a lot or its a hot day you will put the gun away with the handguard still attached, the leather will then play nasty tricks on the barrel blacking frown best, Mike

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Mike,

thank you very much for your advise. OK, I'll better use a glove instead.

Regards

Martinb

Sidelock
Sidelock

sauerfan:
Please "do yourself a favour" and use the Westley handguard first. You will appreciate it's style, how little a properly made guard wears your barrel finish (none of mine have ever done damage) ... and how little you'll resemble the late M. Jackson on the clays course.

Last edited by Kensal Rise; 01/11/12 08:38 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kensal, I agree they wont do any damage if you remember to always take them off and I also agree they are more stylish than a glove but dont leave one on ! best, Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you so much for sharing the comprhensive research you've done on this beautiful gun. Also, your photos are A-1 excellent and I enjoyed studying them as much as the text.

I've got a beautiful Westley Richards 12 bore from 1890. That's a good 3 years or so before the detachble locks were offered, so I missed out on that classic WR option! Oh well, they're still out there, as your recent acquisition gives testimony to.

Again, many thanks for posting - Marc

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.