April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, skeettx, Marks_21, 2 invisible), 717 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,484
Posts545,273
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've hunted Ft Huachuca and the surrounding region for quail. I've had more issues with cactus in SD than I did down there, but it may be because I was mostly hunting 4-5,000 feet, as mentioned above. I understand it's perhaps the worst year for Mearns' that anyone can recall. And that's very sad. They're special birds with a pretty limited range.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Phil and I have taken some heat in the past for discussing SE AZ quail hunting on public forums. Especially in low bird years, the extreme pressure will move the remaining Mearns to less desirable habitat. Gardner Canyon road off 83 looks like a California plate parking lot in Dec. I was hunting near Greaterville yesterday and had 3 vehicles drive by my spot, and met 3 more on my way out on FR 229. Part of the problem is that access to the Coronado National Forest west of 82 between Sonoita and Patagonia is mostly through private property and strictly limited. Lots of pros winter out here and several times I've seen quads loaded with a guide, 2 hunters, and a 3 dog box.

2 nice threads by Walt Lister here about Gambel's hunting north of Wickenburg with pics of the country
http://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/showthread.php?1851-Honey-hole
http://bbs.shootingsportsman.com/showthread.php?1889-A-walk-in-the-desert
And more pics here http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/21096662

In a good year, a fella could harvest all three quail in a day. Gambel's are found in the prickly pear on the northern (lower) end of Las Cienegas, and as Richard said, no cholla above about 4000 feet. Keep climbing (south) to the oak canyons for Means, then back down into the big grass for Blues. You can access the south end of Las Cienegas off Curly Horse Ranch Road, and work along the private ranchettes.
http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/az/images/cuenegas.Par.89522.File.dat/LasCienegasMap.pdf

I am finding more of these SOBs around frown

Dennis is another good one but likely booked http://www.montanabirdhunts.com/

Last edited by Drew Hause; 01/03/12 06:35 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I killed a lot o quail on Fort Huachuca when I was working there. More across the Border in Mexico. I dont think there was public access on the post grounds then. Is there now?

Sidelock
Sidelock

No personal experience with Bob Corley, but good reading
http://myweb.cableone.net/rcorley/index.htm

and should probably pay attention to these signs frown

Last edited by Drew Hause; 01/03/12 12:47 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hunted in the area near Fort Huachuca and the border last year for Mearns. Pretty slim pickin's. It took all day to find a covey. We found it within an hour or two of sunset as I recall. I intentionally took only two birds. I'd say the Mearns need a break. No sense in erradicating the bird entirely. I'm not going there for Mearns until the reports of their numbers are on the rise. Beautiful land to hunt quail in, though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tamid
You guys that run dogs in Arizona, how do you keep the cactus off them and out of their paws? I was in Tucson last year and my dogs only lasted abut an hour. Coryreb, don't mean to highjack your thread.

Your dogs after a good day will learn to avoid it. Some dogs take a little longer than others. The country varies greatly in the desert and it is not all solid cactus as it is often portrayed.
Gambels Country

Scailed Quail Country

Mearns Country

Coryreb Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Really looking forward to some quail hunting in the area.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That last picture looks like it was from the southwest side of the Huachuca mountains and Parker reservior.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Last Dollar
I killed a lot o quail on Fort Huachuca when I was working there. More across the Border in Mexico. I dont think there was public access on the post grounds then. Is there now?

When I first hunted there, you had to be either military, retired, or a civilian employee on Huachuca. Last time, they'd changed the rules so that someone in one of those categories could bring one guest. I'm retired military, so good to go.

Joe Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I just spent a month in Tucson, where I was born, and hunted some Gambel's and doves. Please, DON'T HUNT MEARNS QUAIL. They are extremely low in numbers this year and last year. Every bird you take won't be able to help replenish the population, if/when the area gets a good monsoon season. Gambel's and scaled quail have a much larger range, and while low in numbers, they are still huntable at least. Seeing all the out of state, retired hunters crawling all over the Mearn's habitat the last few years (me included), makes me wish that people would respect the birds, and keep their mouth's shut! I know some will disagree and say that hunting doesn't adversely affect the populations, but in the case of Mearns, I think it does. Taking even 2 birds out of a small covey can't help. In a good year 8-10 birds is a good covey. In a bad year there may be only 2-3.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.