March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (AZMike, jcn, battle, Jim H., Lloyd3, Gerry Addison), 831 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

In May, I am going to Africa for my first safari. I have traveled with shotguns and shotshells before, but not rifles.

I have heard stories that if reloads are not in factory boxes, sometime the TSA will give you problems. I have checked the rules and they don't say that. I was planning on using standard plastic ammo carriers.

Any advice from those who know?

Thanks in advance.

Jerry

PS I am flying Lufthansa, Through Frankfurt.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been to Africa and flown with rifles and ammo at other times as well. The "factory box" BS was an internet legend that worried me as .45-100 factory boxes don't really exist except for collectors. Nor did .45-100 headstamp brass, another internet BS legend.

What you do need is purpose built ammo boxes. And flavor will do. I like J & J slip top boxes. But the point was, no loose ammo in your gun case, no ziplock bags of ammo.

Brent

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sidelock
Sidelock

By the way, where in Africa are you going?

_________

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Limpopo region of So. Africa. A Plains game safari. my 1st. My wife has decided that she wants to hunt too! She has been a mild bird hunter in the past and shoots some targets with me so this is going to be a lot of fun.

On to Kruger for a few days afterwards.

Thanks for the response. I also have heard the headstamp issue too. I was told it was something that some African countries insist on.

Jerry

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gerald, I say specifically in Namibia, the answer is no. My .45-100 ammo was headstamped .348 winchester. I don't think the guys checking could tell the difference anyway.

Have A GREAT time. And don't forget the warthogs. By far the most fun hunting of anything.

Brent
PS. Here is a story of my trip if you are interested in hunting with esoteric calibers http://bpcr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=753

_________

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry,
You may have already engaged the help of a firm in RSA to help with the rifle permit. Such a firm should know the latest regs.
I used riflepermits.com, the guy's name is Henry. He was recommended by Steve at travelwithguns.com.

I was very happy with their services. I did not bring a rifle with ammo that did not match the box however so can not speak to that possible issue.
I can say that with Henry's help I was in and out of the RSA police station with my rifles in 5 minutes. It was reassuring to be personally met by not only my outfitter, but my gun permit person in the arrival area of the airport.

Upon return, British Airways had different rules for ammo than Delta (in July '10); or at least their agents in Durban did. Fortunately I was able to switch from locked container in the gun case to locked container in my baggage quickly. Stressful none the less.

Get your permitting taken care of a few weeks in advance. I mistakenly assumed that you could email or fax the RSA police application. Not so, they needed the original hardcopy at least 10 days in advance. That cost a bit to UPS overnight my application because the departure date was fast approaching.

Have a great time. I think about the trip every day, and would even if the heads on the wall didn't remind me.
Lou

If it weren't for the wonder of electricity, you'd be reading this post by candle light!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry, The most important thing to remember is that folks are doing these things on a regular basis so your pre-scouting should get everything lined out. My only trip to Namibia went like clockwork and I didn't even know my traveling partner brought a S&W .500 magnum for the Pro-hunter. Even that went smoothly. Flying Denver to Frankford and then non-stop to Windhook was great, no problems with baggage (guns) checked through!

The only hitch was re-entering US customs in Denver, (4457 permit you will need for your rifle) but we sorted that out. I took fifty rounds of .30-40 handloads in plastic boxes held shut with electrician's tape so I could reseal them. Brought more than half of the ammo home.

Brent, Really enjoyed your story on the other site! And have much respect for your choice of rifle, sights and ammo! You did really well and I think Namibia a great place for the same reasons as you. Great hartebeest!

Last edited by SDH-MT; 01/07/12 04:28 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a very bad experience in the US. When leaving Denver airport for Alaska,I had some .338 handloads in Plastic boxes. They were confiscated, and I had to buy new in Alaska. On the return, I had some loose FIRED cases in the rifle case. They were confiscated.

Sidelock
Sidelock

$ That is a very very bad deal. Never heard of such a thing either. What was the reason given? I suspect a counter-monkey didn't know his or her own responsibilities and rules. Good to have copies of the stuff, which is easier to do these days than it used to be.

All of my ammo is not only handloaded, it is not available on the shelf anywhere in the world. Because it is all blackpowder, I have a some special documentation that I take explaining that it is legal to fly although loose bp as a muzzleloader would use, is not.

It is not hard to know more about these rules than the counter-critters at the airports, but convincing them carefully w/o getting the riled up, that is the trick. So far, so good.

_________

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.