April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (LRF, Roundsworth, montenegrin, 1 invisible), 373 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#260828 01/13/12 04:27 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am looking at a pretty little 16 ga. boxlock made by George Hinton of Taunton. Apparently, the firm was ultimately acquired by Hellis and had some of their guns made by S. Wright. If anyone can provide any additional information on this maker, or a good reference source, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks in advance, Doverham

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a Hinton SLE which I bought from Cape Outfitters back when they were still in business. Pretty nice gun.

According to Boothroyd, George Hinton held patents on both an "intercepting bolt for hammerless guns", and was also "the first maker of the original ejector". I remember reading something else about Hinton and an ejector system, but can't recall where.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Doverman,
Records show that George Hinton,a Birmingham gunmaker was associated with Joseph Needham in the development of Needhams patent ejector #1205 of 1874.This was the first effective ejector system .The patent was purchased and refined by W.W.Greener.
From the profits on this invention,George Hinton was able to purchase the Gunmaking business of George Shephered of 54 High Street Taunton Somerset.
I have avery fine rifle by Hinton and whilst on a visit to the U.K some years ago I visited Taunton ,sorry to say Ifound that 54 High Street was a Shoe store!I later learned that Hinton was in business in Taunton from 1885-to circa 1925
George Hinton was active in local politics and was mayor of Taunton in 1913.
If the gun that you are interested in was made by S.Wright it will be a quality gun.These people made the majority of Churchills boxlock guns.

Last edited by Roy Hebbes; 01/13/12 10:03 PM.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've seen the odd Gun by Hinton on the net,& I'd love to find a Gun by this maker , as I was born pretty damn close to Taunton,but I have to say that Taunton is in Somersetshire,,,not Devonshire, a small point to most, but not to me ,& I had to speak up smile
Somerset is the hard Cider capitol of the world.
I remember going on Cider Runs for small barrels of Scrumpy with my Dad at the local farms...what an awesome bevvy..that & a few hunks off a cottage loaf & some real gum tingling Cheddar cheese (actually from Cheddar no less),plus a few pickled onions...I was a happy ploughboy
Do you have any pictures of any Hintons, anyone?
Good luck with it Dover'
cheers
Franc

Last edited by Franc Otte; 01/13/12 09:19 PM. Reason: forgot cheese
Sidelock
Sidelock

Frank,
Thanks,post corrected.

Roy Hebbes
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the information. By all accounts, they appear to have produced well-made, mid-quality guns. The gun in question is well finished (and has been refinished). Can anyone hazard a guess if the hinge pin is replaceable based on these photos:

Sidelock
Sidelock

No info for you, but it looks like a nice gun. Is it local? I'm in Sherborn, not too many places with doubles in our area.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The joint pin in this gun based on the photos, is a loose pin. Whether it is a screw or just a knock in is impossible to say. However the caps that cover the access will have been screwed in and filed off ,as there is no screw driver slot the only way to will get them out is to drill them . I've been at this for years and it is very very rare to get them out without damage.
The outcome of this is that new caps will have to be made ,engraved and will never colour to an exact match. Personally I always thought this was a daft way of doing things,but that that's how they were made.
Most Hinton guns I have seen have been quite well finished ,mid quality actions .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith Chard has the gun and sport shop in Exeter, he often comes across Hinton guns and may even have some on his website, he hqas plenty of knowledge on these guns, the gun and sport shop exeter.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: StormsGSP
No info for you, but it looks like a nice gun. Is it local? I'm in Sherborn, not too many places with doubles in our area.

StormsGSP - yes, I am one town over. SxS pickings are little thin in this part of the world - Robin Hollow has some nice guns, but their pricing tends to be umm optimistic. Otherwise, you need to be prepared to drive a few hours to New Britain (more optimistic pricing) or to one of the Cabela's. It is one thing to buy a Beretta online but buying a gun like this online is definitely more challenging.

Gunman - thanks for that input. It does seem a rather odd bit of engineering.

Barrel Browner - I checked Chard's website. No Hintons (but some other unusual guns).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.