April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Argo44, Ted Schefelbein, smlekid, 1 invisible), 558 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,085
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Popular shotgun usage here is for predator hunting and it just became more important as AZ Game and Fish allows shot for Cougars now. I remember reading African Professional hunters are known to use large shot on follow up on wounded leopard so this is something of a classic question. Tightest patterns wanted with Hevi shot in size T or #4 buckshot(lead). Generally the club members use the fullest choke they can but none seem to have patterned them. Since this is the largest of shot, I seem to recall that tighter patterns were discussed as coming from less than the tightest constrictions. Anyone have any pertinent references or experience with such loads and chokes? One of the club members took a cougar at 15yds with T shot and shotguns account for many coyotes & bobcats.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Only way to find out is go to the pattern board...anything else is futile.

Sidelock
Sidelock

At 15 yds, 6's would have worked. I did some extensive patterning of Hevishot "Dead Coyote", 3 inch #4 Buck, 3 inch 00 Buck last year. The Hevishot DC did best with a less than full choke..00 Buck was pretty much useless at much over 35-40 yds. Shooting coyotes with # 4 buck gave quite a few hits, but its a very poor killer. Lots of follow up needed. The "Dead Coyote" which I think is T size was the best. None of it is as good as any rifle you pick.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

last Dollar, would you share the constriction or choke you found best with the Dead Coyote T shot? I need to buy chokes but prefer not to have to buy several just to learn what you already know. I agree that a rifle is superior but Game and Fish also opened cougars and coyotes with artificial lights and the coyotes are shotgun only under the lights. (These lighted hunts are limited to selected hunt areas and seasons where either desert bighorn sheep are being decimated by lions or coyotes where they are taking down the antelope fawns in devastating numbers.)

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Homeless Joe, I know your answer is correct but if I can get a head start with already developed knowledge (as Last Dollar just provided) it sure saves a lot of money when you start testing with 3 1/2" Hevi Shot loads at 10 rounds for $38. And some of these choke tubes are also priced at $30 -$50. Just makes sense to seek existing knowledge first. Unless you are volunteering to do some testing?

Sidelock
Sidelock

We shot a bunch of T's and found that only Briley's extended I MOD choke would pattern them. This was STEEL and not the higher priced stuff. The test consisted of at least 10 different chokes and two boxes of 3.5 steel T's.

bill

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.