Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

AZ Game and Fish is going to allow the use of 8ga guns for turkey! They finally figured out that an 8ga shooting about the same load as a 10ga mag or 12ga 3 1/2" isn't going to make much difference and if someone wants to try their 8ga on turkey tag it isn't going to endanger the flock.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I recall correctly, didn't you spend more than a little time and effort last year on persuading them to allow the 8 ga?

If my memory is correct, then you deserve a good bit of the credit (along with the F&G folks for seeing the light), and let me be the first to tip my hat to you.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave, it was a combined lobby effort by orthopedic surgeons, dentists and Jerry. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anyhow, thanks. Now if we can get the Feds to allow eights on the snow goose conservation program. It would give the guides a little boost. I can legally shoot 250 geese a day here in Maryland, but I can't use my eights. What's that all about?

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The AZ change was none of my doing. But finally one individual, apparently with enough clout to get heard made the point and the regs are being changed to allow it. I think it should have been permitted along with all the other gauges capable of being fired from the shoulder in the normal manner. And if they wanted to limit the guns by some measure it could be by total weight of shot fired in one round. I think it should also apply to all non migratory game in AZ. You would have to get the Feds to change for migratory and that probably wouldn't happen unless a whole bunch of states got empassioned about it. 10ga magnums are legal now and just how many of them do you see afield. Weight and cost of 8s and larger will limit the numbers to an insignificant level anyway.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Your post peaked my curiosity concerning Idaho's laws on using an 8 gauge. Near as I can tell, the only limiting factor for uplands and turkey, is the shell length-nothing over 3.5". I guess Idaho went the route of shell length as the limiting factor.

Not too familiar with the 8 gauge, but wasn't there a number of different chamber lengths produced?

Congrats on getting it done in AZ!

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

Clear thinking from a state government agency resulting in benefits to sportsmen? CONGRATULATIONS!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been working to change the AZ stance on the 8 gauge for hunting. The last word I recieved was that it would be address during their next rule making session. I will try to contact the G&F dept today to determine the ruling. Jerry can you let me know where I can find the change? This was the last information I have held during the June Meeting last year.

Presenter: Jennifer Stewart, Rules and Risk Branch Chief
Public Comment
Phil Carr, representing himself (called in from Region V): Requested that the Commission re-consider allowing an 8-gauge shotgun for taking game; the Commission had previously denied Mr. Carrs request to allow the use of an 8-gauge shotgun at the October 2009 meeting, but directed the Department to evaluate the request the next time Article 3 was open. Primarily, Mr. Carr would like to use the 8-gauge shotgun for turkey hunting.
Rod Lucas, Region VI Supervisor, informed the Commission that he discussed with Mr. Carr that the Department recommended the Commission deny his petition for rule change in order to be consistent with federal regulations and because only a minimal number of the people owned 8-gauge shotguns.
The Commission discussed and was in consensus to direct the Department to further evaluate the petition during rulemaking and determine if Mr. Carrs request might be accommodated.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Phillip,

Thursday evening Game and Fish rep told the AZ predator callers club about recent changes permitting shotguns with shot for cougars, and limited season/hunt areas for cougars and coyotes with artificial lights. He then told us the 8ga was going to be okayed because one guy (apparently you) had an 8ga and wanted to be able to use it. Check the online regs for changes as they are posting these things almost daily at the moment. I am having trouble recalling the Reps name but can probably find it with a little time.

Last edited by Jerry V Lape; 01/17/12 11:42 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks Jerry,

I am looking forward to taking the WC Scott and Son out hunting. I will now just need to draw a permit. This is absolutly the best patterning gun I own.

Regards,
Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.