Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Silvers Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm starting to load for 10 gauge 2-7/8" and just bought a MEC Sizemaster. It comes set up for 3-1/2" 10 gauge. In looking at the press I see another hole lower on the column and, in fact it's about 5/8" lower. Am I correct in assuming I can use the lower hole to set up the press for continuous loading of 2-7/8" shells? Maybe I missed it but I can't find any mention in the instruction pamphlet.

I would call MEC but they're closed for the weekend and I'm hoping to use the press later today. Any help from gents who own a 10 gauge Sizemaster and use it for 2-7/8" shells would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, Silvers

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a JR which I bought a short kit for. It is basically a riser plate for the crimp stations.
Tou can also roll crimp and not use your press for fold crimping if you have a roll crimp head and a drill or drill press.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Frank, I don't have one in 10 ga., but I believe it is not for 2 7/8" hulls, but try it on one or two.

If you cut the hulls to 2 7/8" and want a fold crimp, the componants will have to be at least 1/4" below the rim or 2 5/8" or slightly less.

For short 12 gauge 2 1/2" and 16 ga 2 9/16" I use my Mec 600 Jr up till the shot drop and then I use an old fashioned hand roll crimper that does just as nice a job as the one Brownell's or the others sell, and just as fast.

I have never used the reloader for complete short shells. For one it is hard to find data on crimped low pressure loads. Any low pressure load that fits into a crimp folded 2 3/4" hull will work for a 2 1/2" roll crimped hull.

For my 16 ga Mec 600 Jr. I made a 1/4" aluminum plate to fit under the last 3 stations, but don't use it for the crimp.

Last edited by JDW; 02/25/12 03:43 PM.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes you are correct the Sizemaster can be adjusted as you have suggested for 2 7/8" shells. I assume it works the same as the 600Jr.

The main upright bar can be adjusted for height by repositioning the large hex-headed screw located in the base beneath the loading surface.

The 10 ga 600 Jr has the holes in the bar and base set up by the factory to enable a change from 3-1/2" down to 2-7/8". All you need is the correct sized wrench.

I use a VersaMec in 10ga and had to use the "short kit"

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can make your own short kit - use the proper thickness steel under the bracket for start and final crimp stations. I load the 2 5/8 10ga for my Parker. You could also use wood or what ever works. Paul

Sidelock
Sidelock

The short kit for my 16ga Sizemaster cost 26 cents.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The MEC short kit is a cheap investmenst IMO......I put them on all three of my MEC presses years ago, 12,16 and 20, loaded a lot of short shotshells over the years without any problems using the short kits.......

I also removed all the modern MEC plastic crimp stations on the newer machines and replaced them with the old Chrome Steel crimp stations...original brass insert six and eight star crimp starters, no muss, no fuss, no wear...........no plastic parts for me except the wad fingers......

Also found that wiping down the MEC press bases with an EEZOX coated cloth after each use, minimizes the friction and paint loss on the bases. It also protects the entire press against rust..... same for the Super Sizer etc....keeping your presses covered when not in use also helps.....FWIW...

Later MEC equipment (post 1995) were powder coated and the finish wears much better.......the older presses like the 20 ga. above (1981) were painted with regular enamel and the paint does not adhere as well.......

Best,

Doug

Silvers Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I had something come up on saturday evening and wasn't able to fool around with the 10 gauge Sizemaster. However this morning I called MEC while on the road and a service tech told me the 10 gauge 3-1/2" press is not adjustable for 2-7/8" and thus I need the "short kit" or I can make the adapters myself. I asked to speak with his supervisor to verify that, and the supervisor elaborated by saying the actuator rod inside the column only has one drilled & tapped hole in position for 3-1/2" shells. He reiterated that the short kit or homemade adapters are necesaary for stations 3, 4 & 5. Silvers

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.