April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (buckstix, Sun Dog, AaronN, SKB, Marks_21, 1 invisible), 443 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,101
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#270369 03/13/12 08:21 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I don't think this is appropriate for "Misfires".

I am planning to retire this Fall (age 73); just me and my Drahthaar. Unfortunately, I am not as fit as I was a few years ago. Got to get out of the PRNJ. i still want to hunt with my dog (Blitzen) and my favorite guns. Any thoughts about the best destination?

Rob

NRA Benefactor Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Come to Canada.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Montana

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's warm here, taxes low, housing cheap, lots of ducks, dove.
Clay shooting is common, everyone has a gun. The food is outstanding. NO snow, lots of heat, education is poor to fair but the gov is trying to end tenure. This would make a big improvement. My taxes on a 2300 sq ft house are 750/ year

bill

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

King,

Can I bring my guns (several dozen)?

Brian, Cold? Certianly beautiful!

Bill, Hot, humid; though my daughter lives in Bay St. Louis, Miss.

bill,

Rob

NRA Benefactor Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the small towns in the Southern Flint Hills of Kansas is hard to beat. The people are friendly and access to large parcels of hunting land is generally available to "locals". Great quail and Prairie Chicken hunting and only an hour or so drive to good pheasant hunting. Fall is spectacular out on the prairie and winters are usually fairly mild with the worst of the cold over by mid February. Housing in the more rural areas is quite affordable. Oh yeah the ranch ponds are never fished and are full of bass and catfish plus we are over run with Turkey and Deer but don't tell anybody.

Sidelock
Sidelock

NW Kansas! Some of the guys on this BBS can attest to the fine bird hunting, and the great people.Homes can be had at a reasonable price...(I'll sell you mine) Lots of room, lots of birds, lots of ground to hunt....See post Double Guns on the Kansas Prairie or something...Chuck H, help me out here....if you want a lot more data email me...kribscw@gmail.com I am in Mexico for a while.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Take my advice DO NOT retire, you will begin to wonder how you found time to work.
Of course you could retire here to the UK for decent gameshooting, high taxes, and awfully wet weather (normally) but we have had a very dry period for two years and now already face months of drought.

GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Claybird,
Don't get caught up in the "grass is greener" syndrome. There are no better woods and streams than home waters. If something else is motivating your desire to leave, it will travel with you wherever you go. Good luck on your decision. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

claybird: of all the above, including mine, the caution of greener pastures should come first in your assessment of reality, the why of your thoughts of moving on. It's just you and your dog and a personal issue of perhaps not being able to get around as before. You've a double-barrel problem: abrupt change as a result of retirement and the more significant struggle of making the best of your declining years.

I'm still in the wage economy at 80 and will work till I drop as a freelancer so I'm fortunate there. Declining years you must be brave. It means drawing heavily on inner resources: curiosity, enthusiasm, books, a wide range of interests. Family and community support are dividends. Changing locales ordinarily won't do it if you're carting around old emotions or grievances. Life at the end aren't golden years.

A good example is a discussion this week with my wife about how to get more juice out of a flying carpet to local hunting and fishing spots and camp. This lion has become a kitten, great arms and legs now sticks. Our friends are young and old. Using lessons of bush flying on floats as bait, I'll have no trouble attracting young women and men to do the heavy work; their presence always makes me feel younger again.

PM me if you think I may help. As for the guns, no problem bringing them into Canada. Overall, from 10 years on this board, comparing US and Canadian protocols around guns and hunting, I believe our system---notwithstanding the long-gun registry blip which will be gone this month---is simpler without all your state-to-state encumbrances. As for enforcement, I've never met a game warden or conservation officer anywhere in Canada. On the street and in their homes, yes, but never on streams or in the woods.

Last edited by King Brown; 03/14/12 10:35 AM.
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.