May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (Argo44, eeb), 684 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,604
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Now what does that mean exactly? I have seen it engraved on the ribs of shotguns not made by H&H.
I'm looking at a reprint of H&Hs 1900 catalogue and you can have your Webley .455 MkIV 4" revolver shot and regulated as well as your Colt New Army Pattern also in .455, but they do not offer this service for the Colt Bisley Model in 455 or 450, I do not know whose .450 that is, might be the Mk 1 .450 offered for the Webley Green (WG) Army revolver. No semi auto pistols offered in this catalogue except the mighty Webley Fosbery "Automatic Revolver.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

"After WW1, Holland & Holland sold guns bought from Webley & Scott as 'H&H Shot and Regulated'. They were taken to the H&H shooting grounds and were there shot and regulated before being sold with the seal of approval of Holland's. The guns were of plain finish and medium quality. The actions are engraved ‘H&H'. The top rib is engraved ‘Shot and Regulated by Holland & Holland'."

The above is taken from Sproting Shooter written by some chap named... Diggory Hadoke

I am sure that H&H and many others had been doing this for decades.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One difference is that some makers of higher end guns simply put their names on Brummie-made boxlocks from "the trade" and sold them. H&H, at least until the brief period during which they owned Webley & Scott, chose not to take that route.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Apparently they were doing it into the 1970s (nice little 16 ga, btw):

H&H Shot and Regulated

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is an email from Holland & Holland regarding my shot and regulated by Holland and Holland 12 gauge.

"Dear Mr. Bates,

Thank you for your email.

We do provide a historical research service for a charge of Ł30.00 but having checked our records on your shotgun, the record is in fact blank and so would be unable to provide you with any further information.

However I can confirm that your gun was finished in 1967. Your shotgun was one of a number of Boxlock Ejector's that Holland & Holland commissioned to be built through the Birmingham gun trade as it was cheaper to produce and thus cheaper to retail. When the guns were nearing completion they were sent to the Holland & Holland factory for final test shooting, regulating and finishing. Therefore since they were not true Holland & Holland shotguns built entirely at the factory we engraved "H&H" on the sideplates and not the full "Holland & Holland" name and the model name; "Shot & Regulated" engraved on the barrels.

As mentioned these were made through the Birmingham gun trade with a large number, as you correctly pointed out, being made by Webley & Scott and coincidentally your gun was actually made at the Webley & Scott factory.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Andrew Ambrose
For Holland & Holland"

There is some question when it comes how close to finished the shotgun were when shipped for regulation.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

But, how did they "shoot and regulate" these shotguns and how do you "regulate" a MKIV 455 Webley service revolver, that's
my question.
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike Bonner
But, how did they "shoot and regulate" these shotguns and how do you "regulate" a MKIV 455 Webley service revolver, that's
my question.
Mike

with most fixed sight revolver it is matter of tweaking the front sight for the load used.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All the ones made at the Webley factory between 1969 and 1977 went out as finished guns .

Sidelock
Sidelock

For years they were having the Holland & Holland name put on W.C. Scott guns. The late 1800s to early 1900s "Climax" and "Dominion" Holland & Holland guns were actually pretty low-end Scott guns.

It always blows my mind that a Dominion will sell at auction for $6000 and a Scott Excellentia (a far superior model often on the same receiver type) will sell for $4000 in identical condition. 10x the gun, 2/3 the price, same maker in actuality.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I had 3 Climax type guns, a C&H 12 bore, a H&H Climax 12 bore and another Cogswell and Harrison 28 bore, the last one I regret selling, as you can imagine.
All by Scott, it seems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.