Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think if you put some white crayon on the action flat to get into the stampings you will find there is a Crown over V and the Perron present. There are some letters to the left of the crown but I can't make them clear enough to read. My guess is a Belgium made gun. There are some other marks mostly obscured by the corrosion which may be decipherable with a little white crayon. Need to lay the barrels on their back and photo the barrel flats and area just forward of the flats. It appears there are some marks but at the present angle they are not readable.

cambo Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks Jerry I will give that a try. My arms are not long enough to see as well as I used to.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, Cambo,thanks, they should be small stamps like: crossed swords, a "V" or two. "65" or "70", (chamber length)
I have no doubt someone more knowledgeable that me will be along to assist, and there are lots of those here. Those look like Damascus barrels, so the gun might be made 1880ish
The gold barrel bands are more appropriated on muzzle loader barrels.
Raimey, wherefore art though?
Mike

cambo Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Here are a couple more close shots. You can see some markings. Is this any help?

Last edited by cambo; 03/14/12 04:35 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

The tower mark is the Peron of Belgium.

cambo Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Thanks Daryl, Any idea of a ballpark value?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Although this is a beautifully engraved gun the value is still in the barrels. We really need to know their condition, length, chokes, bore size and wall thicknesses. If the barrels are good the value is higher. If not then the value suffers because the buyer would have to either sleeve, rebarrel or use tube liners of some sort. Thanks for showing us this beautiful gun though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have a SLNE marked James and Reynold London on the rib, Damascus barrels, English black powder proofmarks.
But the watertable is curved at the edges like this gun,and very rough, like this one.
I am sure my James and Reynolds is Belgian in origin.
Has anyone heard of this maker?
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

cambo; If possible I for one would be interested in seeing a few pics. of the Bonehill. Thanks --- John Can.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The barrels are a crolle damascus. The Perron and the Crown over what appears to be an M are Belgian proof marks. That Crown M would be a very early inspector's mark. That style was used from 1853-1877.

According to Johnson's "Gunmakers of Illinois" Vol II:
Hasdell worked at 150 St John Road, London until he immigrated to Chicago. From 1871-1887 he was located at 20 E Madison.
In 1881 he was challenged in the American Field by LC Smith of Baker guns. LC Smith wrote a public letter in which he wagered $50 that his guns had a better choke than Hasdell.
Hasell made long taper chokes.

There is at least one example of a WC Scott with Hasdell's name on the barrels. An old ad shows him offering guns for $100-$300 (very expensive). He apparently had a real following in Chicago.

I am sure Phail can add much more.

So apparently Mr Hasdell could source both English and Belgian parts / guns. The Philadelphia Exposition of 1876 opened the door to many suppliers.

Pete

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.