March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gunning Bird, L. Brown), 864 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Glasbedding required - 'Long Cracked' Smith. And the cracks all start at the head of the stock
http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17090409

Glasbedding superfluous - M21

Glasbedding an insult to the incredible skill of the stocker - C.J.'s Purdey

Last edited by Drew Hause; 03/22/12 11:29 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wow the detail on the Purdey is incredible! Talk about workmanship.

"Sometimes too much to drink is not enough" Mark Twain
Sidelock
Sidelock

Agree 100%. I did say "properly" & I should have added professionally. As I'm sure you know, epoxy can be thinned so that it soaks into & seals the wood w/o requiring any extra wood removal when used on something as nicely done as the Purdey inletting. More of just a sealer when used on a properly inletted stock w/o any issues.

I admit that I don't have the head of the stock sealed on all of my guns but I wish I did & especially the guns I intend to shoot a lot.

Last edited by Brittany Man; 03/22/12 12:25 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

How does one thin the epoxy...sounds like a great idea.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thin Acraglass wtih Acraglass thinner & solvent from Brownells. There are some other commercial epoxy thinners available & I have been told that solvents like accetone will work but have not tried this myself. You can get Acraglass as thin as water with the Brownells product.

I've also read somewhere that thinning with solvent degrades the bond & strength of the epoxy somewhat but I don't know that for sure. It doesn't matter anyway if the thinned epoxy is being used on properly done inletting as a moisture & oil barrier but if you are using epoxy to correct issues such as cracks, wood defects or poor inletting you may not want to thin it.

Please don't try this on something nice like the Purdey example until you have done it a few times on something that does not matter & you are still going require a very very thin release agent on the metal even though 99% on the thinned epoxy will soak into the wood you still should assemble the metal to the wood while it cures.

I've done this a lot on rifle stock inletting including under the butt plate or pad & on some of my shotguns. It's a PIA to do on already finished stocks & you need to use some care.

2holer Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Is the thinned Acraglass any better than the thin cyanocrylate (Super glue) which I have let soak into inletted wood?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: steve white
How does one thin the epoxy...sounds like a great idea.

Ive gone through gallons of epoxy, in my old hobby, building and restoring little boats.

I have thinned epoxy with acetone, lacquer thinner, and alcohol. It only takes a tiny bit (Ive read no more than 5%). Solvent thinning significantly reduce final strength. Avoid skin contact because the solvents make the epoxy easily penetrate skin, which is not at all healthy. I have abandoned this method.

Heating epoxy increases viscosity. Pot life is shortened by a lot. Ive had batches start smoking. I dont think heating Acraglass is advisable because that crap kicks too fiercely as is. I dont like Acraglass at all.

Heating the wood works very well. When the epoxy contacts warm wood, it warms and the viscosity lowers. Better yet, as the temperature of the wood falls, the epoxy is sucked in. This is a common technique to repair rotten end grain on canoe ribs and such. This is how I do stock heads. Ive only done a few. Dont take any of this as gospel. Im a rank amateur.

It should be said that impregnating punky wood with epoxy does not restore strength. It only makes the wood harder. The wood fibers are still damaged.

Sidelock
Sidelock

2holer

I've never used cyanoacrylate as a sealer for the head of the stock. Just a SWAG but based on my experience using cyanoacrylate for other things I'm thinking yow will get better penetration & less worry about surface build up with the thinned acraglass or other epoxy. On sound wood & good inletting you dont want any build up & when done really shouldn't look any different except maybe a little glossier & any pores mostly filled.

Steven Dodd Hughes touches on this in one of his books (Double Guns & Custom Gunsmithing I think) & if I remember correctly soaks up the inletting cuts & head of the stock with thinned poly finish such as Permalyn. Done correctly, several different methods will work here & IMOP are better than leaving the wood unsealed. Sealing against oil migration will for sure prolong the life of the stock & properly sealing it can't make it any weaker.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of the Smith fellas favor Goat Tuff Glue http://www.goattuffproducts.com/index.php?op=11

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've used thin cyanoacrylate glue to soak into punky wood that was oil soaked and the oil removed with solvent soaking for over a week. The thin cyanoacrylate really got sucked up in large quantity. I kept putting glue into it until it wouldn't absorb any more. I believe it restored a lot of strength, but there's no way to quantify it.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.