May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (earlyriser, AGS, prairie ghost, Guy Ave), 443 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,500
Posts545,469
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Chuck H #273335 03/30/12 10:09 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Good luck on that. I've seen leather doodads that fit cuplike over the butt end, but for the other end of thesling you're pretty much stuck either drilling holes or wrapping it around the barrels and blowing up the sight picture.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Have to call a "Voltaire" on this one, INMHO slings have no place on a fine shotgun, hideous, best (keeping my head down), Mike

Boxlock
Boxlock

Since this thread is about swivels, I hope it is not OT to ask about using shotgun slings in the field. I once saw a photo of hunters (in Germany, I think) carrying slinged shotguns in an unusual way. Rather than the military "barrel up behind the shoulder" they had the buttstock behind the left shoulder with the barrel down. This seemed awkward and dangerous to me. However, I later acquired an older Sauer double with sling swivels and tried that carry. The barrels point enough ahead of your feet that there is no danger there. This carry is completely inappropriate in heavy cover or if dogs are present, IMO. That said, with your left hand on the forearm of the slinged shotgun, it is possible to "swing up" into shooting position with surprising speed. I've tried this informally with my "step on" clay thrower and find it is possible to get the shotgun up, safety off, and dust singles starting from slinged position on release. I'm not fast enough for doubles, though. With a little practice, this carry should be comfortable for open cover. I have not tried this while hunting, since I usually hunt with dogs and often seek pheasants in waist deep cover. Does anyone use this method of shotgun sling carry? - Bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

I spent a couple years in Morocco, where it was very common to see doubles equipped with slings. Do not remember seeing anyone carry a slinged gun as you describe, but it's been a long time. But here's undoubtedly the funniest sling image I remember: Moroccan hunter, Moped mounted, shotgun slung diagonally across his back. Wife perched behind him, facing backwards, holding hunting dog in a big box on her lap. Wish I'd taken a picture!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Bill, I carry that way constantly when crossing country, more engarde when expecting a flush. (though I'v shot a lot of birds bringing it up with the left hand exactly as you described--have no dog to worry over) I'm too lazy not to have a sling. I even buy the magazine caps with sling swivel for autos. The only gun in my safe at present without a sling is a Browning auto .22... Though i did have a nice very light English straight grip 12/20 that I could carry all day without fatigue. To each his own...Steve

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you don't like them, just plug the screw holes in the center rib with plug screws and leave the butt "eye" in place. Don't "screw" anything up by altering anything!

Pesky, they are not!

Ole Cowboy
Don Moody #273485 04/01/12 09:01 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

The "barrel down" carry is meant for use in brush where the barrel would snag on branches if carried in the "barrel up" position. I find barrel down to be very comfortable and safe, and much easier to control the muzzle when bending over.

Bill9430 #273490 04/01/12 10:23 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Bill9430
Since this thread is about swivels, I hope it is not OT to ask about using shotgun slings in the field. I once saw a photo of hunters (in Germany, I think) carrying slinged shotguns in an unusual way. Rather than the military "barrel up behind the shoulder" they had the buttstock behind the left shoulder with the barrel down. This seemed awkward and dangerous to me. However, I later acquired an older Sauer double with sling swivels and tried that carry. The barrels point enough ahead of your feet that there is no danger there. This carry is completely inappropriate in heavy cover or if dogs are present, IMO. That said, with your left hand on the forearm of the slinged shotgun, it is possible to "swing up" into shooting position with surprising speed. I've tried this informally with my "step on" clay thrower and find it is possible to get the shotgun up, safety off, and dust singles starting from slinged position on release. I'm not fast enough for doubles, though. With a little practice, this carry should be comfortable for open cover. I have not tried this while hunting, since I usually hunt with dogs and often seek pheasants in waist deep cover. Does anyone use this method of shotgun sling carry? - Bill

Bill - I can't visualize this - is the shotgun over the shoulder? Where is the sling in this carry? I tried to figure this out this a slinged (slung?) gun but can't.

I rather like slings, by the way, and find that with regular carry they don't get in the way and are nice on long treks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Although I don't use slings on shotguns, I have always used the barrel down carry for rifles. I'm right handed, so I carry the rifle on my left shoulder and it stays put. The weight is all below the carry point, the barrel won't snag and I can grab the forend quickly and swing it into position. The buttstock is behind the left shoulder, with the underside of the rifle faceing foreward, if you're having trouble visualizing how it's done.

Boxlock
Boxlock

Gnomon, the bottom of the sling is over the top of your left shoulder (assuming right handed shooter) so that the buttstock is suspended behind your left shoulder. The shotgun hangs down with the trigger guard forward and barrels inclined downwards and towards the front so that the forearm hangs naturally by your left hand. The barrels point to the ground a few feet in front of you. (Which is why this carry is not good if dogs are present.) Grasping the forearm, you flip the shotgun over as you pull it forward and across with your left hand to raise it into shooting position. It is easier to do than describe. -Bill

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.