March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (Karl Graebner, Perry M. Kissam, Jason Dubois, GeorgeGibbs505, Licensed to kill, 1 invisible), 881 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,019
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I dropped one of my Republic Metallic Cartridge 10 guage blackpowder shotshell with 5 drams of BP and 1 and 1/8th oz of Bismuth during the last waterfowl season. We found it in the driveway after several days of rainfall and heavy frost.

I figured it was ruined so I opened it up. The overshot card was indeed wet and swollen. It was a .125 cardwad. The shot I salvaged, the next was was a 3/8th inch waxed fiber wad. The next card was a .03 cardwad over the powder. To my surprise...the powder was dry! The powder charge was 120 grains of bp measured from my powder measure.
I thought five drams of bp formula was 5 x 27.34. I rounded to 135gr of bp. I quess that explains why my 5 dram loads were not patterning very well. I have a 115grain load ready to pattern in my old 10 bore, W. Richards. It's been looked over and ok to shoot. It is a H & D Folsom gun I'm sure of it but it has Birmingham proofs, go figure. It' is fun to shoot with black powder!

Sidelock
Sidelock

You're lucky to have some of those shells left, they've been out of production a long time. I've got a box and a half I'm saving for a special day.

DLH

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Destry, I have 12 rounds left!

Vince

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want to see something really neat, check these out:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/139/10/SHOT-SHELL-10-2-78

They are still spendy, but not nearly as expensive as shooting vintage hulls. I bought a few recently and so far my 10 gauge loves them. I've been experimenting a bit, and have settled on 4 1/2 drams of FFFg and 1 1/2 oz of Bismuth. My full chokes will throw 76% and 78% at 40 yards with this load.

Something new to play with is always fun.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

A little off topic, please forgive me, but where are you buying your bismuth for reloading?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Flintfan
If you want to see something really neat, check these out:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/139/10/SHOT-SHELL-10-2-78

They are still spendy, but not nearly as expensive as shooting vintage hulls. I bought a few recently and so far my 10 gauge loves them. I've been experimenting a bit, and have settled on 4 1/2 drams of FFFg and 1 1/2 oz of Bismuth. My full chokes will throw 76% and 78% at 40 yards with this load.

Something new to play with is always fun.

Track of the Wolf (through your link) makes the excellent point that one should carry proof of the shot being bismuth - e.g., the receipt or the package label - just in case it's your day to meet the game warden.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

I have a stash leftover from Ballistic Products. Precision Reloading has bismuth but it isn't cheap.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RHPierce
A little off topic, please forgive me, but where are you buying your bismuth for reloading?

Precision Reloading:

http://www.precisionreloading.com/mm5/me...de=BISMUTH_SHOT

A competent warden "SHOULD" know how to tell the difference between bismuth and lead. I try to keep a small leatherman pliers with me, so I can remove a pellet from the shell and crush it for the warden if I ever get questioned. So far I have never been checked while hunting, so I can't comment of how well wardens are trained in identifying bismuth shot.

“I left long before daylight, alone but not lonely.”~Gordon Macquarrie
Sidelock
Sidelock

I offered to eat a couple of pellets in front of a warden once, told her same product as in Pepto-Dismal, for an upset tummy. That convinced her.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Texas game wardens carry some sort of "sniffer" device that can determine what type shot you are using. I have been checked by them; I don't know what the Federal wardens use.

W. E. Boyd

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.