Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Sidelock
Sidelock

Whatever a candidate's personal "beliefs" are, the political reality in this country is such that gun rights are not going away. I breathed a sigh of relief when Romney won the primary - he is sufficiently sane that most progressives can live with him.

Approximately a third of gun owners are Democrats. The right-wing does not have a monopoly on gun ownership. Most of the guys I shoot and hunt with are far to the left of me. The yahoos on some gun and hunting shows do far more harm than the anti-gun crowd (many of whom are political conservatives). Thank you to chopperlump for this thread!

There's a good article in last week's New Yorker magazine. The au was clearly anti-gun but she traced the NRA's involvement in the gun rights issue with some clarity that I had not seen before.

Last edited by Gnomon; 04/27/12 08:56 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If confirmed by the Senate. That's why its important that if Obama wins don't give him a Democratic House or Senate, both would make Obama's Presidency a living Hell and either one can effectively checkmate him.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gnomon, if one was to assume that Obama was able to appoint like minded judges to the SC, you would have to agree that the SC can and likely would interpret the 2cd in such a way as to likely curtail firearm ownership from how it exists today. Impossible to know how much but it would be different. It is within their rights as the SC to do so.

The point I was trying to make is that interpretation rests in the hands of a very small number of people, not the much larger group of gun owning Democrats.

And I agree that yahoos don't do anyone, even themselves, any favours.

I'll have to get that issue of the New Yorker. Always a good read.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
The legal erosion of the 2cd amendment happens at the hands of the Supreme Court. The Supreme Court's members are appointed by the President.

Thus it doesn't matter who else supports the 2cd amendment, leftist or tea party member, it's the President that counts, if he has appointments to the Supreme Court to make.

Obama is anti gun and his administration will happily break the law with lethal consequences (fast and furious) to further his anti gun stance.

As an outsider, the conclusion is obvious. As Keith says, a vote for Obama is a vote against guns and against the US Constitution.

There are two primary dangers to our constitional rights should Obama get a second term:
1. As a lame duck facing no more elections he no longer will have to pursue the abolishment of the 2nd Amendment and the institution of severe firearms ownership restrictions "under the radar". A real concern should he regain control of the House.
2. He is ONE Supreme Court appointment away,should one of the conservative justices retire ,from reversing Heller vs. Washington and negating the decision that the 2nd Amendment is an individual right.
Another Ginsburg, Kagan,Sotomayor appointment etc. would set the tone of the Court for years and I suspect we would lose far more than our firearms rights.

He needs to go period. An if some of the liberals who supported him in 2008 agree all the better.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: canvasback
Gnomon, if one was to assume that Obama was able to appoint like minded judges to the SC, you would have to agree that the SC can and likely would interpret the 2cd in such a way as to likely curtail firearm ownership from how it exists today. Impossible to know how much but it would be different. It is within their rights as the SC to do so.

The point I was trying to make is that interpretation rests in the hands of a very small number of people, not the much larger group of gun owning Democrats.

And I agree that yahoos don't do anyone, even themselves, any favours.

I'll have to get that issue of the New Yorker. Always a good read.

Very true - but it's to some extent a myth that one can appoint "conservative" (whatever that is) or "liberal" (whatever that is) justices and expect them to vote in a predictable way. Especially on social issues - and gun rights is a social issue. Just look at the expectation regarding how the current Court might vote on the Arizona immigration laws. It really isn't an"us" vs "them" situation but is far more nuanced.

The New Yorker article has a good summary of gun laws in the US from the early 19th c on - it also clarifies (at least to me) how the NRA changed in the last half of the 20th c. The NRA of today isn't the NRA of 40 years ago.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm glad the NRA has changed to meet the times as the opposition has gone over the top in it's efforts to disarm America.The "sheeple" of America, probably 50% of the adult population,are easily led and we could lose it all as far as gun rights are concerned if it wasn't for a very vocal and powerful "gun lobby."

Last edited by RHD45; 04/27/12 01:48 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I would vastly prefer to see shows chronicalling the differnt manufactures and the historical significance of their guns, Colt, S&W, Ruger, Winhester, etc ect including the european makers. The current crap on TV is in response to "car chase Shootem up". I think it was Samuel Goldwny who said nobody ever went broke under estimating the taste of the American public. Chops

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: chopperlump
I would vastly prefer to see shows chronicalling the differnt manufactures and the historical significance of their guns, Colt, S&W, Ruger, Winhester, etc ect including the european makers. The current crap on TV is in response to "car chase Shootem up". I think it was Samuel Goldwny who said nobody ever went broke under estimating the taste of the American public. Chops

H.L. Mencken. But you're right, which I suppose is why "black guns" are so popular.

Last edited by Fin2Feather; 04/27/12 08:14 PM.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
Sidelock

"Black guns" are also popular with the people who have survived an encounter with 2 legged predators intent on doing them harm.The finest double in the world, or even a matched pair with loaders, is not a match for most firefights with hostiles armed with rifles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Gnomon

Very true - but it's to some extent a myth that one can appoint "conservative" (whatever that is) or "liberal" (whatever that is) justices and expect them to vote in a predictable way. Especially on social issues - and gun rights is a social issue. Just look at the expectation regarding how the current Court might vote on the Arizona immigration laws. It really isn't an"us" vs "them" situation but is far more nuanced.

I'm astounded that you would put up the words conservative and liberal and then add "(whatever that is)", as if there isn't a distinct and easily recognizable difference. It is common knowledge that four of the current SCOTUS justices are commonly referred to as the liberal wing. They are pretty easy to identify. They are the ones who voted in Heller that the Second Amendment does not guarantee an individual right to keep and bear arms. The other five justices are the ones who are commonly referred to as the conservative wing. All five of them agreed in Heller that the Second Amendment means exactly what it says... not some twisted perverted interpretation of the truth which is supported by the words and papers of the framers of the Constitution themselves.

The four liberals vainly tried to twist the truth. The five conservatives affirmed the truth. That is statistically significant.

It is not, as you say, very nuanced. Admittedly, there are no guarantees that any justice will vote in a totally predictable way. Justice Stevens is a perfect example of that. But the 5-4 decision in Heller came as a surprise to no-one. And when it comes to preserving the Second Amendment, we would be wise to stack the odds in our favor. Supporting Obama does exactly the opposite.

Fortunately, voting on the Supreme Court is watched more closely than voting in Vermont or Chicago, because almost certainly, a couple dead liberal justices would have voted to deny our individual right to keep and bear arms.

Both of Obama's first term Supreme Court nominees shared his vehemently anti-gun vision. Both of them lied about that during their confirmation hearings. All too often, that is a way to tell the liberal from the conservative. But you already know that. Please don't try again to convince anyone that Obama is not a threat to gun rights and gun ownership. It will only make you appear stupid. Again.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.