May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Don Zahringer, buckstix, j7l2, 3 invisible), 274 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,164
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline

I don't want to end up with a reputation like ED1 here, should I just remove the auction and start over?
Thanks to Mike and Chief too...

Sidelock
Sidelock

I feel your pain. If you really want to know what a beating feels like, go over to the Shooting Sportsman BBS. The guys here are hospice nurses in comparison.

OP Offline

Well Hansli, I appreciate your kind words. Looks like you signed onto this forum close to the time I ducked out for a while. For the most part, guys on this site are something out of the ordinary. I ducked out for a while to deal with a drinking problem...one that I couldn't have come to terms with without the support of many people you see post here every day. Bob Blair blasted me point blank and forced me to face it. It's these people that keep me coming back, and likely you too. So in the end I'll take the ribbing in return for the comeraderie.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Randy, I don't think anyone was too out of line. But to the drilling. Regardless of what a local gunsmith may say, that is going to be a hard gun to move. A truly pristine gun with great screws, a recognized maker, and some real cse coloring might push into just below the low end of the price range you listed. For what you are quoting, someone can find a 7x57r or 8x57r fairly easily. The utility of those rounds are orders of magnitude greater than the 9.3x72 (think a mild 30/30). Your gun, however tight, appears to have a lot of surface wear. If it is truly sound, then around $1800 is the max I would expect to get for a guild gun in roughly 65-70% condition in that caliber.

Sidelock
Sidelock

OT: Randy, congratulations!!! Not easy to tackle the problem you had.

JC(AL)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well the first thing is to get or take better pictures. Detail, focus, light, shadow, all angles and sides with some closeups would help. A detailed description always helps when selling.

75% of the world hates drillings as they are different, 20% could not care one way of the other, 2% want a certain caliber or no interest, 2% like odd calibers if they know the gun is solid, 1% are real potential buyer because they want one and have the money in hand. Post a Parker and you will get 1,000 hits verses post a drilling and get 5 hits. Fact of life.

Since you have a small market you need to get as much attention as possible for your gun. Great photos help. Solid description and all the information you have will help. A good looking paper target to show the guns accuracy would even help.

Thin skin is a problem sometimes, just like the ease to take a shot at someone when they are not in the same room. Do not get mad, get even. Sell your gun and then post the results. Snide remarks have been made but you need to understand that there is solid basis for some of them. Learn from them and move on or ignore them.

I have taken a chance and bought a gun with poor pictures on the net but not in this price range. My wife will tell you that I am prone to buy anything. Bought a fuzzy pictured, busted stock, Baker awhile back and used the barrels on another gun, stripped the reciever to fix two other guns, then sold the reciever for more than the gun cost me in the first place. So you may get a buyer with your pictures but it will be a low price bidder only.

YOur other choice is to use a dealer and let them take a large part of the selling price as a consignment fee. I would try selling it myself first.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Randy-

I think they treated you honestly and fairly and no one even remotely hit below the belt. THey were actually doing you a favor. WHen I first clicked the link to the auction I did not realize it was your gun-I thought you were bidding on it. I won't tell you my exact thoughts and reaction when I saw what the strating bid was, but trust me, they were very kind to you. I have no way of knowing what is going on, so all I can say is from an outsider's perspective it seems like you got your feelings hurt because your gun is worth considerably less than hoped. I believe if you had seen this happen to someone else, it would not have seemed harsh to you at all.

But hey, that's perfectly fine! We are all human and sometimes when we are caught up in emotional things we don't see them as clearly as we would if it were happening to some one else.

The guys were actually doing you a favor, as you said you wanted the drilling to move. WOuld have probably literally taken years to move at the price you set, so they were doing exactly as you asked.

Don't sweat it man, just looks like typical buying/selling emotions. It's all good!

PS-I still loooove those hammers in particular and the gun in general!!!

skunk out
OP Offline

Nah, frankly I was poking at Geno a little, you read too much into it. So do I remove the auction and start over? Yes seems to be the answer. I am having a hell of a time getting good detail pics, even with my camera on macro...any tips? I did learn about the caliber here, that explains the mint rifle bore...nobody could afford to send a lead message down THAT tube! I'll pull the auction and wait to hear from anyone who can help me be a little more informative about the thing. (That's your cue there, Local Drillings Fanatic) And thanks JC (Al) yes it was not easy...and thanks to those who helped talk me out of the tree.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hey, Randy, I see your nice guy, but I was joking saing Johan is from Russia, of cause he's 100% Austrian and everybody knows about it, so it looked like little untruth, when you told about Johan and his appraisal.

Geno.

Randy

I bought a drilling that looked much like that in nearly the same condition at Jaquas for $800 about a year and a half ago. Mine is a Kettner (Ed I believe) made about 1920. It shoots great and I love it. I had wanted a drilling for years but never wanted to plunk the money. I bought this one since it was a good "play" guna and scratched an itch at a reasonable price.

I am not a drilling expert, but I looked for years and will mirror a few comments made here.

Modern calibers and hammerless drillings start at near the level you listed. Hammer drillings in odder calibers hardly ever get close to that range unless they are something really special, and I am talking ornate and pristine. (Yours honestly looks like it has a lot of "character". I have never been sure if this because of the caliber or the hammers. With the huge increase in interest in hammer doubles in general, I am inclined to believe the main driver is the caliber.

In general, I think a drilling like yours would be $750 to 1500, depending on the individual gun. A really nice hammer drilling in an older caliber would be 1500 to 2750. A modern plain hammerless in an available caliber would be 2800 to 4500 and a really fancy modern piece can go up to five figures (very rarely).

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.