April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,035 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,124
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

So I have fine doubles both vertical and horizontal type smirk ,all of which are rust blued in some manner.I may spray off the barrels before stowage with any of the following: Ballistol,B/C Barricade,wd40,and sometimes just Lemon oil with beeswax [that goes on the wood too].

Will any of this stuff work to harm the rust bluing?
What would be the safest,or what is best or better??

thanks

billy

Sidelock
Sidelock

Anything with acid in it will attack the "rust"; note that bluing is a thin layer of black rust (Iron dioxide FeO2). The best, IMO, is Renaissance Wax. It is a synthetic and neutral Ph. All oils tend to run off the surface over time. Grease and wax don't. Wax makes a fairly hard surface and has fair abrasion resistance; it is a solid.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd look into what's in your "Lemon oil with beeswax" I wouldn't use it if it has natural lemon oil or other acids.

This brings to mind a little Irish pub I frequent. They have tables covered in copper sheet. The tables get tarnished of course. One night a fine lass joined me and a friend for dinner at this pub. She started playing with the condiments on the tarnish and found a little ketchup or mustard cuts the tanish immediately. I can only imagine what it might do to a blued barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ballistol is probably the best all-purpose protectant for metal and wood. I like CLP on the metal. Wax may be OK for target guns and safe queens, but I just can't rationalize it for my field guns. Takes too much time to do it right, and I have found that wax gets a bit sticky in very hot and humid conditions.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As noted, rust bluing is a form of rust, and several gunsmithing books I've read caution against using WD-40 or any so-called polarizing or rust penetrating oil initially. They say the fresh black oxide is not tightly bound at first and these types of oils will remove some of the new finish. I use plain old Outers Gun Oil on a freshly rust blued barrel. I've come to like Ballistol, and have had no problems with it. I do like to use WD-40 with 0000 steel wool to clean a neglected gun as it seems to loosen any fine dry rust better than many other cleaners or oils, and still leaves the tightly bound patina. I agree that lemon oil is probably slightly acidic, and it might be interesting to drop a blued screw into a small jar of it to see if it might actually remove bluing.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Only problem with Ballistol is it's water soluble.

Sidelock
Sidelock

WD-40 is NOT a penetrating oil. It IS a water displacer (WD) and contains menhaden oil. The menhaden oil will go gummy after a short time and turn into a dust/grit magnet.

My prefered solution is a very light coat of RIG or 3 in 1 oil (a very light weight napthenic) or even NON-detergent motor oil.

W. E. Boyd
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have pretty much settled on Clenzoil as the best all-purpose "wipe-down" and rust preventive/lubricant/cleaner I have tried. Good for wood too and smells great.
JR

Be strong, be of good courage.
God bless America, long live the Republic.
Sidelock
Sidelock

For upkeep,,most any quality oil or grease sold for firearms maint. Keep it simple, it's just a metal finish you're trying to protect from corrosion. It's pretty tough in itself compared to other blues and the usual matte type finish holds protective coatings well.
Don't try to (re)invent a special oil for the task. There's no need.

I used WD-40 as a quick spray down/soak on fresh rust blued bbls and parts for quite a while in the past.
It was the water displacing property I was taking advantage of,,but it's already noted quirk of taking some of the new RB off made me stop using it.

Now after the wash down to clear the surfaces of any residue that may cause after-rust, I let them dry of their own heat from the hot soap & water/rinse used,,, wiping any obvious excess off of course.

While still warm I coat with a thin coat of Linseed oil,,same artist type drying Linseed Oil I use to top off a stock finish.
They hang for a day or so and any excess is wiped clear of the metal. An ultra thin coating is left, nothing you can really feel. It drys because it's so thin.
On top of this goes a coating of the favorite of the moment oil or grease during re-assembly.

Better looking bluing, no break down of the finish and no after rust. Just my experience.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I haven't used ANY kind of oil on the exterior of my firearms in years. IMO oil collects dust particles out of the air and after coating your firearm with any kind of oil over time you're wiping the gun down with grit infused oil.
I use a hard wax such as Flitz's Gun Wax or Renaissance Wax but I expect any good hard paste wax will work. Since the wax dries hard any air borne grit ends up on the wax surface and not the blueing.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.