May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (graybeardtmm3, earlyriser, montenegrin, Chantry, 2 invisible), 540 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,713
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#281920 06/19/12 10:34 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I went to a gunshow recently, saw and got to handle a decent number of Parkers, most in 12, in the G grade and below. This followed on a friend showing me his 16ga VH. All fine guns.

This has gotten me interested. Something like the siren song of jazz wafting out of a bar a young man knows he shouldn't go into, but where there's too much of a promise of fun to pass up taking the chance. whistle

So. Beyond the usual stuff of lockup, bore quality, dents, reblueing jobs, buggered screws, mismatched serials and the like that one would look at when buying any other double, what should I look out for when shopping for Parkers? I know the darned things are all old enough to have been collecting Social Security for a while, but I'm looking for a shooter grade and not a collector's item. I know the heads of their stocks are susceptible to breakage but forget exactly how and need a refresher on that and how to spot it. I figure, any deal I'm going to make will be contingent on running it by a barrel man to give it a good once-over and if the seller won't go for that, he won't sell to me.

I know. This is a bad path I'm following. But, the company seems good. And the drop in those old stocks seems to be "right" for me.

And then there were the Sterlys, but that's another story.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave, go on guns international and look at the Parker GHE just listed today and BUY IT NOW you won't find a better gun for the money

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave, I thought you already had some Parkers...

I haven't looked at the one Jim recommends but you should consider it.

What type of shooting do you plan on doing with "a" Parker? (I say "a" because one Parker is rarely enough if you do several kinds of shooting and hunting).

There is a lot to learn about Parkers but be advised to not just jump in and grab the first one that presents itself. You'll need to consider the fit, the weight, the appropriate gauge for your shooting needs... You know all of this stuff - you've been around doubles for a while. If you choose carefully you won't be disappointed.

Dean

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: DAM16SXS
There is a lot to learn about Parkers but be advised to not just jump in and grab the first one that presents itself. You'll need to consider the fit, the weight, the appropriate gauge for your shooting needs... You know all of this stuff - you've been around doubles for a while. If you choose carefully you won't be disappointed.

Dean

You're quite right, and I had no intention of jumping in in a hurry. I have a voice in the back of my head telling me I need another shotgun like I need another hole in my head, and another voice telling me I need to be open to having experiences.... I've decided to compromise and look and shop around and be open to something popping up and to govern my buying by requiring a certain dollar level in the bank account before saying "yes". I was hoping for some of the harder technical details I need to look for - or being pointed at references where I can study - so I can be an intelligent buyer.

All that said, I've tried for years to live in that "be open for experiences" mode and it has had some excellent results. I once got a prewar Payne bamboo rod - needed some work, but nothing out of the ordinary - for $300 when I bumbled into it at a fly shop and just happened to have my checkbook in the car. Post the work, it's worth 6-7 times that. But I like to fish it and it's a good rod to fish.

Quote:
(I say "a" because one Parker is rarely enough if you do several kinds of shooting and hunting).

I was afraid of that.

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 06/19/12 11:42 PM.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Assuming you are looking to get a using gun, I would only add to the comments of DAM16SXS that you choose a later vintage Parker with the pinned/replaceable bolt face on the front lug.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't err in retrospect to say my 16ga hammer 0 grade is magic to me; the others don't come close. It seems to come up by itself. I'd use it all the time except the hammers are always something to think about. If I became familiar with them, I'd let all the others go. But you know how it is. . .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Dave in Maine
Originally Posted By: DAM16SXS

Dean

You're quite right, and I had no intention of jumping in in a hurry. I have a voice in the back of my head telling me I need another shotgun like I need another hole in my head, and another voice telling me I need to be open to having experiences.... I've decided to compromise and look and shop around and be open to something popping up and to govern my buying by requiring a certain dollar level in the bank account before saying "yes". I was hoping for some of the harder technical details I need to look for - or being pointed at references where I can study - so I can be an intelligent buyer.

All that said, I've tried for years to live in that "be open for experiences" mode and it has had some excellent results. I once got a prewar Payne bamboo rod - needed some work, but nothing out of the ordinary - for $300 when I bumbled into it at a fly shop and just happened to have my checkbook in the car. Post the work, it's worth 6-7 times that. But I like to fish it and it's a good rod to fish.

Quote:
(I say "a" because one Parker is rarely enough if you do several kinds of shooting and hunting).

I was afraid of that.

Parkers and Paynes-- Leonards and LC Smiths- Harold Steele "Pinky" Gillum and Greeners, R. L. Winston and Winchesters- so many grouse and woodcock hunters are/were also dry fly fisherman- mainly "Down East"-- I had two Payne rods in my "fly fishing era"-- a 9 & 1/2" salmon rod, and a 8 & 1/2" 6 wt- both 3 pc and with two tips-- real "Steinways" but my favorite cane rods were the pre-fire Leonards- my 7 & 1/2 ft. 3/2 M49 and my 8ft. 3/2 Hunt DF50-- Steinways indeed, especially with Hardy reels-

There is a bargain GHE also on GunBroker- but it has VHE barrels- Vulcan steel- go figure--Good luck in your quest

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

The vast majority of Parkers have more stock drop than their British and European contemporaries. 1-3/4 x 3 is really common. I was used to pushing my cheekbone down on the comb and when I got my first Parker I didn't like it. After a few thousand rounds I now shoot a low stocked Parker well (for me).

My shooting student Joe Wood usually has his bent and I think they come out to about 1-3/4 x 2-1/2. But I don't think you could get to 1-1/2 x 2.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 06/20/12 10:01 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Any SxS can get cracks inside behind the receiver- Parkers are no different - but not any more likely than any other SxS. If the wood is proud behind the receiver I'd be suspicious. Paul

Sidelock
Sidelock

You probably know about it already but

http://parkerguns.org

will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about Parkers, and more.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.