April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (LRF, GETTEMANS, 2 invisible), 596 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,814
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's SLANDER, I say, just slander against a good fellow SEC school. I mean how would you like to be basically called an Ohioian?? *shudder*.

OK, you win. You got me with the SEC thing. Blood is thicker than water, and we support all our SEC brothers. Actually, we're even closer than you think regarding SEC schools. I am a graduate of Auburn University College Of Veterinary Medicine. Almost half of my classmates (and all other AU Vet classes) hail from... your great state of KY. The reason is that KY is one of the states that doesn't have its own Vet school. Therefore the Southeastern Regional Education Board (SREB) many years ago negotiated an agreement between AL and KY for Auburn to serve as KY's Vet school. As a result, KY students are treated as in-state students at AU, and are promised the same number of slots in each freshman class as AL students.

They certainly haven't let us forget it (or maybe those hurt feelings come from being bounced around on the hardwood in Basketball for so many years??).

Basketball?? What is basketball? I don't think we have that in Alabama. We play football.(Grin).

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KyBrad3
I mean how would you like to be basically called an Ohioian?? *shudder*.
Interesting that you talk about Winston County not seceding. I think there were a few counties here in Mississippi that didn't secede either. The south wasn't quite as unified as some might like to think during those crazy times of the Civil War.

Ohio was just as crazy during the Civil War. It was home to the Copperhead movement of all things. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copperheads_(politics)

Illinois fielded the only state unit armed totally with lever actions. Trouble is, they never got much further than southern Illinois and Missouri.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

KY was not the only state that did not follow its desire to leave the union. Maryland was also a Southern leaning state that did not go south because of a large number of Federal troops being posted in the state at a key point in the movement to leave the union. MD was a slave holding state and had much more in common with the South than the North. It would have been just a little sticky if MD had gone South as that would have forced Washington DC to move the capital north until the war was concluded. Hard toi have the North's capital right between two Southern states.

But most modern historians have lost the facts of the reasons for the Civil war. Slavery was a side issue that only later in the war took on major weight and no one really disputes that facts that slavery was dieing anyways. By 1880's slavery would have been a thing of the past. The south was cottoned out and slavery was a economic looser, not a money maker. The market price for slaves was in steady decline and had been for years. When a slave could no longer pay for their own keep the owners would have been forced to set them free and slavery would have died a natural death in 20 years as it did almost the world over. The land was ruined by cotton and tobacco with no great way to replenish the land with modern fertalizers, plus the mechinazation of industry and farming made cheap unskilled hand labor a thing of the past. It cost more to feed and cloth a slave than they could produce by farming.

It was about States rights and the attempt of a few states to stop the ever increasing centeralization of power by the Federal government that motivated most state to leave the union. The Civil War nullified the tenth amendment of the US constitution, that all rigths not clearly given to the federal government shall reside with the states. Now in fact, all power resides with the federal governemnt, not the states and too often a case with the courts not the legslative or executive branch. Our founding fathers would not be amused. Thank goodness those old slave owners are all dead.

OP Offline

Here's the man's description of the Lefever, on GB. (whom he cheated out of a commission by failing to use buy it now to complete the auction at the negotiated price).

"Description for Item # 64551016

Nice old Lefever with 30" barrels. Barrels have turned brown, but bores are nice and shiny. No dents or bulges. This gun has a nice overall brown patina. Serial #47230 all numbers match on this all original gun, right down to the very good condition butt plate. Gun locks up great and barrels ring true. Only fault with this old classic is the safety needs adjusting, it will fire in safe position. No cracks in wood that I see. Please ask your questions before bidding. I will do my best to answer them. Thanks for looking!"

and here's the gun (the other side is also cracked but this makes my point...the long crack opens and closes visibly when you flex the stock)...and btw there is a dent in each bbl near the muzzles:

Last edited by doublegunhq; 02/10/07 05:57 PM.

doublegunhq.com
Fine English, American and German Double Shotguns and Rifles
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: KY Jon

But most modern historians have lost the facts of the reasons for the Civil war. Slavery was a side issue that only later in the war took on major weight and no one really disputes that facts that slavery was dieing anyways. By 1880's slavery would have been a thing of the past. The south was cottoned out and slavery was a economic looser, not a money maker.....

It was about States rights and the attempt of a few states to stop the ever increasing centeralization of power by the Federal government that motivated most state to leave the union....Thank goodness those old slave owners are all dead.

KY Jon,

Well stated! However, the Union imposed a crushing blow when it blockaded southern ports and prevented cotton shipments to England. The English certainly took notice, they shifted to getting cotton from India. It is true that by 1888 slavery had ended in Brazil. However, with out the Emancipation Proclamation and the 13th Amendment, we would be a very different country today.

Some years ago, I took a great interest in reading about the development of the abolitionist movement in this country. My reading inevitably lead me to the civil war. (I snored through this part of history class as a youth.) One of the things I learned was how amazing and complex humanity is. From the southern view point slavery was not the reason for succession. From the northern view point abolition became a cause to preserve the union.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you read Lincons speaches and letters along with the editorial of most of the Northern newspapers, abolition did not become a major "cause" untill 1862. This was in part to try and keep the British from being more favorible to the South's cause. Slavery had long been outlawed in GB. In fact several letter from old Abe clearly spell out that he would gladly accept the states in succession back into the union with slavery in tact. Not untill not 1862 does this seem to be dropped.

The PC people of the world will insist that the only reason for the Civil Wars was slavery. Tarrifs had more direct cause than slavery in many ways. The north wanted high tarrifs to protect their new industry while the south, which had little industry wanted no tarrifs so they could by cheap goods. Facts are often inconvient and sometime down right bad for popular viewpoints.

Now I agree that slavery was a blight on the US. It should have been eliminated much earlier. But it always came down to money. If the Federal government "liberated" the slaves would they pay the owners for their property? Under the constitution slaves were legal property and if conficasacted the owner were due compensation. Slave owners were not about to set free a large part of their wealth. Even if it was getting cheaper by the day.

Until the land was "cottoned out" the slaves made their owners money. After that time many of the slaves were sold to areas which had not been depleated. They were down in the deeper south, hence the term "sold down the river". Slave prices had been in steady decline in VA for 20 years. And the real truth is that 99% of the south owned no slaves.

By the way, your blockaid would have lasted about a month if the cotton crop failed in India. The British navy would have opened the ports in a heart beat to keep the mills in GB running. Then the war would have ended differently. British and French wares would have kept the South alive and made it impossible for the North to prevail. Lincoln would have lost in 1864 to the Little General and the North would have sued for terms. Slavery would have still died, but you are right a few diehards would have tried to make it last as long as they could. All in all the war turned out fine but I wish that State rights was a little stronger these days.

OP Offline

Here's the Parker Deal.

Description for Item # 64551015

Nice old Parker sxs with 30" damascus barrels. Beautiful wood that I'd assume has been refinished at sometime. Barrels ring true with no pitting in bores. No bulges but the right tube has a very small ding, the size of a pin head. Not much finish on barrels and none on receiver. This gun is a 2 frame and weights in right at 9# give or take a ounce, plenty of meat in these barrels. The serial is #89567 and all numbers match. Please ask your question before placing your bid, I'll do my best to answer them. Thanks for looking!

And here's the pitting:

Last edited by doublegunhq; 02/11/07 02:32 PM.

doublegunhq.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

doublegunhq,

I don't see in the description of the Parker where he says that there is no pitting on the receiver?

Having followed the threads on SS and DblGun titled "Caveat Emptor" regarding Mr. Gould's previous dealings as seller, it appears that the old saying about "what goes around comes around" came around sooner rather than later once he became the buyer. There's a certain symmetry to this one.

"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it" - Capt. Woodrow Call
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: erik meade
doublegunhq,

I don't see in the description of the Parker where he says that there is no pitting on the receiver?

Omissions are almost as bad, in the double gun world, as flat out misstatements. He did say it was nice...and he does talk about the receiver colors...but no mention of the obvious and extensive pitting and the partial polishing). He doesn't say the gun isn't stolen either (still have to check that...if it turns out it is stolen, then are you saying I don't have any recourse because he didn't say it wasn't stolen?" But I agree, the Lefever was the really flagrant one.

doublegunhq.com
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.