May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Perry M. Kissam, LGF, 3 invisible), 957 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,619
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a great letter. I wonder if that Shelhamer-stocked Farquarson has come to light?

Sidelock
Sidelock

He's some pics of the last one of the 'Niedner' type buttplates I picked up at a gunshow some time back that I mentioned above.
They were lying out on a parts purveyors table among the Mosin Nagant trigger guards and SKS accessorys.

I just thought they were nice butt plates for custom projects no matter who made them so I bought the bunch.

The checkering is entirely uniform and sharp (without being painful!), not cast.
The edge border appears to me to have been milled out to the depth of the checkering.
I think these were done on flat stock already checkered by what ever means. The border milled to the correct outline (you can see milling marks or some sort of machining marks in the closeup pic), then the flat piece was formed to it's present shape.
On first look the screw holes look punched out with the flashing on the back side, but they are drilled and countersunk.

Just my guess of course. A lot easier than pounding one out of semi round stock and checkering it, but that is the way I heard it done too.
Maybe just copys made later for sale 'to the trade'.

I have no idea if these are Neidners or not but thought they might be interesting.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Tom Davis
For those interested in Shelhamers, check out this listing:

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Custom-...un_id=100262641

A interesting early 50's rifle. The most interesting part is reading the letter that the seller has posted from Tom to the Dr. who commisioned the rifle. An interesting read. The pictures also show what I believe to be an example of a case colored niedner style buttplate.

Dr. Smith owned 100's of custom rifles from many makers. I have an inventory of his collection. If anyone ever needs a provenance on one of his rifles let me know.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a taped interview I did with Carlyn W. Behrmann where he tells how the buttplates were made.

In a nutshell the put a big piece of tubing (pipe) between centers in a lathe and knurled the whole thing. They then cut it into lengths, formed it into shape with a lead hammer, cut the edge and screw holes then case hardened.

Sidelock
Sidelock

That answers my question about the checkering pattern being used more widely than on my two. I like Model 70's but I think the Niedner and Shelhamer 03's are more classic.

gbehrman
RJH Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kutter,

I picked up the exact same butt plate as yours from an auction about 6 months ago. Seller was in Michigan and my plate has all the same marks as yours and is CCH. It is different from the Nieder type butt plates that Midway is selling especially the reverse side.
Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

I finally took the stock off the C W Behrmann rifle and find that there is no other marking under the barrel. The inletting is superb as Shelhamer's was and very tight. I took the opportunity to oil the inside and outside of the stock with Shelhamer recipe stock oil which was bottled in 1940 by C W Behrmann and is still as good as new. I also found that the swivel studs are color case hardened.

I plan to shoot the rifle when the stock is ready and will ask Michael to post pictures if the rifle groups Ok.

gbehrman
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Some more pictures from Gary,

Sidelock
Sidelock

Let me be the first to say "that gun is the cat's meow!"

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice cat

_________
BrentD, (Professor - just for Stan)

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.