May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 504 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,462
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#287314 07/30/12 08:51 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I was wanting to add an English SxS to my quial hunting guns but can't affoird a Purdey. What does the commener (i hope that is the right term) buy there? I know you can buy Spanish and Russian guns here pretty cheap and Stoger makes a SxS for around $400. I am an L.C. Smith lover and what i shoot most but i have a few old Ithaca's, Remington's Winchester's and Browning's. I know nothing about the English guns.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Tommy

Sidelock
Sidelock

A good start would be a Webley & Scott Model 700. It is a relative modern BLE gun, has proven reasonably durable, has typical game gun handling, and is generally available in high condition for reasonable money. You could go to Holt's or Bonham's auction sites, go to the archives and search "W&S 700" to see recent auction gun configurations and realized prices. Be sure you understand whether the buyer's premium is shown in the price or not. Also, note that import to the USA will cost a substantial additional amount. You might also commission Dig Hadoke (a generally all-around good dude) to find you a suitable gun. If you are OK with a vintage gun (I sure am), pre 1899, Toby Barclay is also a very fine resource.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you don't want an ejector there are plenty of nice boxlock non-ejector guns out there for much less money than they are really worth. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

You might check out www.hillrodandgun.com

Rob

NRA Benefactor Member
Sidelock
Sidelock

Look at vintagedoubles.com

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi BH, first off, let me say, once you get a Brit gun, they are like a drug. Your going to get hooked!

If your first strating out, I would heed Dons (Rocketmans) advise. A W&S 700 series is a good safe bet for a first Brit gun. They will have fewer problems than can be found in a vintage gun. That's not to say all 700's are perfect, but if you find one in good condition, it's a safe bet you wont't have to worry about wall thickness, proof etc. But be aware, there are some W&S that were made in Turkey and just had the W&S name stamped on them. So double check to make sure that the gun was made in the UK.

Vintage Brit guns can be a joy, but also a money pit. I would do a lot of homework on vintage guns before buying. There are so many variables and nuances it can be mind blowing. Not complex, just a lot of things that could leave a bitter taste if you get a bad one.

Ask lots of questions and stick with a dealer who will be helpful and willing to guide you. Kirby from Vintage Doubles and Charlie from Hill Rod and Gun are two of the best.

I would also suggest you get Dig Hadoke's book. It is an absolute MUST read.

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Guns-Modern-Diggory-Hadoke/dp/160239198X

There are way to many factors to give you a complete answer to your question. Just follow what others have and will say on this post.

Good Luck to you!!! You won't regret getting a fine Brit gun!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, opinions are about like sphincters, everyones got one...

I, for one, am not thrilled with W&S 700s. Typically, this is a gun that uses a pair of hammers that have firing pins integral with same, and in the event of failure of the pin, you now have a single shot. Of course, a gun with a firing pin built separate from it's hammer can also suffer a firing pin failure, but, if the gun is equipped with disc set strikers, and you have the tool and a spare pin, you can easily repair it in the field. It is not easy or cheap to repair a hammer with integral strikers. I am told some 700s were built with disc set strikers, but, I have looked for years and never seen one.

I can think of a few other things to say, but, I'll start with this. You need to do some research. The more reading and study you can do before coming to a conclusion and parting with post tax dollars, the better off you are going to be.

Best of luck and do tell us how things work out.

Best,
Ted

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tommy- an English SxS is a wonderful thing!

There are two questions you have to answer for yourself in this quest.

First, What's your budget?
Second, What is it that you're looking for?

Not every Purdey or H&H or Boss is 100K.

A BLNE is still a fine gun and is relatively cheap. It will give you the British game gun "feel" if not the cachet.

I don't know where you live but the best thing to do over the next 6 mos. or yr. is to look at as many of these guns you can.

When you actually handle guns things tend to sort themselves out!

But most of all, have fun

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks to you all for you help. I am on a limited budget because of a double transplant that has made it where i can no longer work. I am looking for a relatively inexpensive quail hunting gun but don't know the prices or the makers names. The research i have already started. I love vintage guns and would love an external hammer gun but that want stop me from a hammerless gun. Like someone said when i pick up the right gun for me i will know it. I work on double guns as a hobby and have since i was 10. I just finished restoring a "New London Arms" 12ga. for a friend that came to me in a bag and a box. Stock was in 5 peaces and many parts had been lost. Had to hand make a few springs and hard parts and reharden them but it was fun. This is what got me wanting an english gun. If i am in my little shop working on a gun or in the field with my pointer Haley and carring my 1915 L.C.Smith 20ga. that my grandfather bought new in 1915 or just sippn on some BirdDog Blackberry Whiskey after a day in the field or shop i having fun or reflecting on it. So i know this is going to be a fun adventure.

Thanks again.

Tommy

P.S. If you are ever comming to Alabama during bird season let me know and i will set us up a hunt. I'll let you know what i come up with.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tommy - God bless you!
Try looking at a 25 or 26-inch barrel gun.

These guns are absolutely superb even if out of fashion. They are generally significantly less than 28-30 inch guns but are great upland guns.

Try out a few!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.