March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (LRF, bsteele, David Williamson, Ted Schefelbein), 826 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#290088 08/21/12 08:03 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

How easy is it to dis-assemble a sidelock action with pins? I have taken apart MANY a boxlock of triggerplate action, also Anson and Deely, but never a sidelock. Should I be intimidated? At least bi-annual cleaning is the goal. Thanks, Steve

Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

The pins you see are actually screw posts and hold the bridle to the side plate. One is an axle for your sear and possible safety sear.
Just make sure gun is cocked, use the right size screw driver or bit to fit the screw/s perfectly.

A lot easier to clean than a boxlock and also to look at your mainspring, hammers and sears.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you're going to disassemble sidelocks make sure you either make or acquire spring clamps. It makes the job easier and avoids damage to the locks.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
James M #290131 08/22/12 06:18 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

if you're unfamiliar with the parts you are working on, I find a couple of digital pictures taken before and during disassembly can be invaluable. It's cheating I know, but quicker than a sketch and harder to loose or throw away by accident. Erm yes.... I've done both.

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

Depends on how far you want to take it down. If you are just looking to remove the locks for cleaning, then just a matter of one or a few screws and being careful to remove them. If you want to actually take the locks apart, then it can get more involved. Every one is differnt. Do one at a time so that you have the assembled one as a reference if you should need one. Or as El Garro states, take some pictures.

B.Dudley
Sidelock
Sidelock

Besides making certain the hammers are cocked, it helps to also have a smaller deadblow hammer to use in "tapping" to get the locks to release.

If you are thinking about taking apart the gun into small pieces, I like to speak to those already having done that. For example, I am intimidated by LCD Smith guns...

Sidelock
Sidelock

With a sidelock, you can look at the lock and easily see where all the parts go, plus since you have two locks, you can leave one lock together to use as model when putting the lock back together that youve taken apart. There are a few details such as making certain you keep track of the individual screws making certain you screw them back in in the exact same holes you unscrewed them from. I sometimes mark parts with Whiteout, since its easy to remove. Another thing is that its often easy to overtorque and break the screws during reassembly. I use medium strength Locktite and then firmly snug the screws down during reassembly being careful not to overtorque.

To remove the leaf springs I use a long-nosed vice-grips with several twists of black electrical tape wrapped around the jaws to keep from marring the spring.

Seriously, to my thinking taking a sidelock apart is a no-brainer, but then I have a very high aptitude for such things (God forbid that I would have an aptitude for becoming rich!). I guess what Im trying to say, and please dont be offended, is that if you have to ask, maybe you shouldnt try. Everyones gifts are different and whats simple for one person can be very hard for another and vice-versa.

Steve

Last edited by Rockdoc; 08/22/12 09:04 AM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Rockdoc #290149 08/22/12 09:25 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Get the DVD from Midway by John"Jack" Rowe. Gunsmithing British Sidelocks and Boxlocks. Best info and investment re: these firearms IMHO Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rowe

Jack Rowe has a 5-part video posted on youtube on disassembling and cleaning sidelocks. Above is the link to the first one.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.