May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (LGF, Jem Finch, playing hooky, Sandlapper, 1 invisible), 492 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,592
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

isn't going anywhere? Who isn't going to get another shotgun or do any hunting (not counting a random trip to the closest miserable patch of public access land)?

I'm not complaining, and is there any need to say I wouldn't have traded the new baby boy (he's why I stay home) for any quantity and quality of guns and trips. What I mean is, the general trend on the outdoor minded boards is for those who do and have to post about it, and for those who don't and haven't to read and envy in silence. This may be right, but... but why can't the other end of the spectrum have their say too?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Archery opened here today, Dove and Goose have been open.

What am I doing. Staying at home, alternating between working on building a muzzle loading shotgun, restoring an 1880s double, practicing engraving and watching TV.

No kid, I got thrown from a horse a few days ago and hurt my shoulder and ankle. SO no walking around or shooting the bow. Best part, I'm supposed to be leaving for an Elk hunt in Colorado I've been planning for close to two years in about 5 days. mad

Sidelock
Sidelock

Relax HD, many of us don't go anywhere, and do very little hunting. But I do admit I bought a cheap Drilling last week...
Cheers,
Jani

Sidelock
Sidelock

I didn't have a baby, get thrown from a horse or buy a new to me firearm. Was planning a chukar hunt next weekend, but work precludes me from going-awfully poor excuse not to go!

Cameron Hughes
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been taking my son dove hunting as much as I can this year. One nice hunt in KY and four now on Ohio state land. Next year he is off to college and my youngest does not want to hunt. So hunting will be on hold for a few years while my son is off to school.

Trips are not in my future as I already have one in a Ivy League school and will have two by this time next year. Sometimes all A's get you even more bills than you ever dream of. Oh well, I did not want a new gun anyway.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Humpty Dumpty
What I mean is, the general trend on the outdoor minded boards is for those who do and have to post about it, and for those who don't and haven't to read and envy in silence. This may be right, but... but why can't the other end of the spectrum have their say too?

HD, from your post I get the impression that it rankles you somewhat that others post about hunting trips. I am sensitive to that feeling by some who may not hunt, or go to shoots, etc., and always wonder if I am projecting a "look at me" image when I post about a dove shoot or duck hunt. The thing that has kept me posting such is the positive comments from those who have repeatedly said they greatly enjoy reading about others' exploits in the field, because of their inability to participate. It is quite believable to me that there are some who can't participate and resent others being able to do so.

A new baby is one of the greatest gifts God gives a family, and takes a back seat to nothing. You are extremely blessed to have him, and have my congratulations. I would say that there are those who "have and do" who should, and may, be envious of your position as a new father. You have every right to have your say that you will not be hunting anywhere, or buying/trading any guns.

My apologies if I have ever stepped on any toes by sharing my blessings with those not able to get out and do for themselves. It was never my intention to brag, I despise that.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

There have been periods of life when I didn't do much but work; Work in the business, Work on the business, Work at home, Work on the home, Work on the car, Take the boy to practice, Take him to games, Help him with his homework, Work on the car some more. Now the boy is a 31 year old man and the business is established and I have time to play and I have a little spending money.

I did manage to take the boy hunting and fishing and he still does both.

Some of the best hunting adventures I have had have been on public land. Unloading the dogs on to a piece of land I have never seen before and coming off of it a few hours later with enough birds to feed me and mine for a day or two is good.

So Humpty I think it is just the part of life you are in right now.

Stan thanks for taking the trouble to take pictures and write up your hunts. It is most appreciated.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I completely agree with Mike.
Steve
PS I don't think we have any subsistence hunters here. So what if it's state land, it's still fun to get out and hunt and when you finally do get a bird it feels that much more rewarding.

Last edited by Rockdoc; 09/09/12 08:29 AM.

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Some of us enjoy photography along with our gun collecting and hunting. Many who read this board and others enjoy seeing photos of fine shotguns and or hunts they are used in.

I can tell you that it takes time and work to carefully photograph guns and hunts. I do post photos of guns, SxS events, and the occasional good hunt. What amazes me is that strangers come up to me at SxS events and thank me for my photos. I guess some of the readers do enjoy seeing photos and learning of what others are doing.

When time allows please post photos of your hunts, SxS guns, and events so that others may enjoy. There is a thread on this board for member's photos. Humpty, how about a photo of you and your newborn hunter?

Mark

USMC Retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

Humpty, This is something we all go through. Responsibilities taking precedence over pleasures. Eventually responsibilities are taken care of and we can get back to our recreational pursuits. Of course, by then we are starting to get creaky in the joints, as I am.

Still, planning a few days in Vermont next month for grouse, several days in Tennessee in November for quail, and one day of seaduck hunting off Cape Cod in December.

Rob

NRA Benefactor Member
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.