March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Jimmy W, fullandfuller, craigd, Lloyd3, gasgunner, 1 invisible), 303 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,980
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here's the link to PGCA that Drew posted on p.1 this thread if you missed it.

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7889

Sidelock
Sidelock

I cannot say I agree that the manson gauge is without merit. While it does not offer the quality of measurement that either the Hosford or Galazan gauges do, it does offer a much better than nothing solution. Further the dial can be swapped for a digital one from harbour freight.

I admit it is not prefect, but it is far better than flying blind and I expect it is close enough to rule out borderline guns

Michael Dittamo
Topeka, KS
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rabbit, you are right about the barrel holding situation. It should be a piece of cake to design some bracket to hold and rotate the barrels, eliminating the need for a helper. However, I measured a pair of second tier English game guns at an auction using a friend for a helper. He had never seen a Manson gauge before and had no trouble holding the barrels to the table for the ten minute procedure. As far as finding and maintaining "zero", the Manson, used horizontally with the eye hook, is as reliable as the Galazan table gauge or the Hosford.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Well, at the risk of a scolding from eightbore, the "Truth Tool" made by Johnathan Poole has been around for a dozen years at least and is the original horizontal tuning fork type wall thickness gauge and would appear to be much easier to use than the Manson. It was designed to be used in the horizontal position. Its upper fork is longer and can be hung in the end of the barrel when you are zeroing the gauge. The block has a hole in it that is large enough (1-1/2"?) to be hung from your thumb. It must be "hung" on the thumb so you don't torque the forks and throw off the reading.

It was $200 the last I knew.

I get repeatable measurements from it. On three different barrels I measured the minimum wall thickness with my Truth Tool and got within 1/1000th of Kirk Merrington's measurement. I measured them before I sent them to Kirk for some work.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 09/12/12 10:34 AM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Not a scolding, Mike, but I am very familiar with Jon Poole's Truth Tool. I was in Vegas at the Riviera when he introduced it to the American market. It is identical in use to the Manson tool. The Manson tool is zeroed while out of the barrel, holding the "ball" in one hand and the loop in the other. If you want to hang the Manson by the thumb, you can do it. You can put a block with a 1 1/2" hole in it or use a rope loop, like I do. The result is the same.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Having measured the same barrel on two different gauges I got a different reading of.001" . You can also get a discrepancy if the gauge is perfectly square on the table as the weight of the barrel "leaning" if only a fraction can give a false reading . Lets face it if a barrel wall measures .015" one gauge and .016 on another ,a .001" makes no real difference .

Sidelock
Sidelock

My recollection of various company's metrology (gauge calibration/cert) and inspection departments was that they would advise using an instrument capable of 1/10th the required tolerance. So, if you have a tolerance band of +/-.010", you should use an instrument capable of repeatable accuracy to .001". If you need +/- .001 on the part, you should use an instrument repeatble accuracy of .0001".

Sidelock
Sidelock

My Truth Tool is not accurate to 0.0001"(one ten-thousandth). But I have no doubt it is at least accurate to plus or minus 0.001" (one thousandth) which to my mind is adequate for my purposes.

I am glad though that you airplane guys are so anal retentive about accurate measurements. Mechanical failures at 30,000 feet while traveling 500 mph could really ruin a day.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck of all people knows that the limiting factor of repeatable accuracy in long calipers is rigidity and that sufficient rigidity isn't available in most materials with a diameter which will slip inside a shotgun barrel of 12ga. or under. Did you go any further with your experiment with carbon composite as either arm of the WT gauge, Chuck?

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

The main problem with most of these wall thickness gauges is they are supplied with a very cheap dial caliper. Once I got that figured out I purchased a high quality Starrett dial caliper from eBay. Since then my readings have been much more consistent and I have a lot more faith in the results. The Manson design has nothing I could fault, except at that price it would have to have the very cheapest gauge available.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.