March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Lloyd3, SKB, Owenjj3, Philbert, dukxdog), 800 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

pooch Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

As difficult as interpreting rivelling in a barrel. Interpretation the rings or light refraction in the barrel is more difficult. The light ring is caused by an anomaly in the barrel. The question is the anomaly a fatal one or one you can live with.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pooch
what you are saying makes sence to me. Sounds like a good way to check it.
Monty

monty
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: pooch
As difficult as interpreting rivelling in a barrel. Interpretation the rings or light refraction in the barrel is more difficult. The light ring is caused by an anomaly in the barrel. The question is the anomaly a fatal one or one you can live with.

Generally, if the ribs are tight, I would not worry about this kind of small ring bulging, from a safety concern.

pooch Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

You are probably mostly right. I do think you ought to back off on the loads.

Boxlock
Boxlock

There are a number of copies of Shotgun Technicana on Amazon.com... from $100 to $1100+ !!

pooch Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm not overly fond of McIntosh for reasons of my own. I won't be buying that book.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pooch,
If you want to back off even more from a conservative load, that's a personal choice and sure won't hurt anything. But my opinion is that the barrels themselves are not weakened from this condition. But if you are trading utility of the gun in order to back off your load, I would say it is not necessary for this condition. A quick look at some stress-strain curves for steels of similar strength will show that strength from this type of deformation is actually increased, not decreased, albeit a very small amount.

There are literally millions of products made from cold formed steels of similar charateristics to barrel steels. Many of these products carry critical loads. An example is hydraulic and fuel hardlines in airplanes. These lines are made from steel tubing. They are cold formed (bent) to fit the routing in the airplane. The deformation is many times more from this bending than a small bulge in a barrel. The function of these lines are critical to the normal operation of the airplane. These thin little hydraulic lines operate at 3000 psi with pulse spikes to much higher.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: pooch
...I believe it is caused by the light undergoing a slight shift when it hits the metal that has a different molecular structure then the metal beside it...

You mentioned that this may be a sign of deformation in the barrel but you seem to feel the tube is true. I think you are seeing deformation, but if the barrel is true, I don't know if differences in surface appearance could lead to significant conclusions. The book that was mentioned might be worth checking. You may not prefer one of the authors, but I think there is meaningful contribution by the coauthor.

Sidelock
Sidelock

G.T. Garwood has an illustration of barrel rivelling in one of his books. The photo was taken after striking off the barrel blue with a sanding block, the absence of blue on the high points clearly indicating the presence of a series of physical prominences or corrugations in the barrel wall. The angle of incidence and reflection of light from a shotgun bore is a very pretty thing and the relative concentricity of the rings has been said to prove a number of things about the barrels (straitness, relative vertical regulation of sxs barrels) but I've never encountered anyone who claimed to identify changes in the molecular architecture of an apparently homogenous material with the naked eye. I doubt if Thomas or Trevallion have either.

jack

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.