March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (David Williamson, SKB, HalfaDouble, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 391 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: whitey
Joe I know you have some really super Martini's already done
or in progress. How about posting some pictures.?? I know I would enjoy them. Whitey
Sorry Whitey, my photobucket contents have become unavailable to me since their latest 'improvement'.

Obviously the electronic world doesn't believe in the old tried-&-true dictum, "If it ain't broke then don't try to 'fix' it!"
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe for sure I know what you mean I have the same problem. Whitey

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe had a couple pictures of your martini's in my computer. And asked Fred to post them. Hope you don't mind. Whitey

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok, so here it goes, the new photobucket is confusing to me, but I will try. Here is one picture that Whitey sent me
martini1

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PhysDoc
Ok, so here it goes, the new photobucket is confusing to me, but I will try. Here is one picture that Whitey sent me
martini1
This is a Greener takedown under construction and since traded off. The takedown method is the common split receiver ring with the subassembly pin used as the tightening mechanism. Engraving is by The Infamous Engraver, Ben Shelor (RIP Ben, you were 'a man to ride the river with' indeed).

Photo was taken to show the rib treatment for unobtrusive scope mounting. The chambering is 224 Maxi, a rimmed wildcat using the 357 Maximum case along with the 222 Rem chamber form. Just about perfect IMO for these little rifles except for being a wildcat.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe had another of 2 of your martini's .BUT with the mess can't get it to post. But Fred tried. Thanks Fred Whitey
PS Joe you are sure right about our friend Ben. I miss him all the time. And I still laugh about the time he said he needed all the 223 Gov't Brass. And wanted all I could find.And at that time I had a 55 Gal barrel full.Smile you can guess the rest. Whitey

Last edited by whitey; 11/15/12 10:17 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: whitey
PS Joe you are sure right about our friend Ben. I miss him all the time. And I still laugh about the time he said he needed all the 223 Gov't Brass. And wanted all I could find.And at that time I had a 55 Gal barrel full.Smile you can guess the rest. Whitey
Whitey I didn't hafta guess, Ben TOLD me!

For the rest of our colleagues here, Ben told me that he finally hadta threaten Whitey in order to get him to stop sending any more of that !@#$%^&! BRASS!

Simple pleasures for simple minds....(ROTFLMAO, a great way to remember my old friend)
Regards, Joe

PS don't want to hijack the thread, need to start a new thread if/when I can decipher Photobucket's latest improvement. Regards, Joe

Last edited by J.D.Steele; 11/15/12 11:40 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: joelblack88
The only way to date is that if the "ELG" proofmark has a crown over it, it is post 1893. Francotte made those Martini rook rifles from the late 1880s through the 1930s. Generally they were nicely made and the equal of British made Martini rook rifle. Its a shame Colin Greenwood elected to leave Martini rook rifles out of his otherwise fine rook and rabbit book.

Hello Joel,

The clue is in the title of Colin Greenwoods book, the operative word being 'CLASSIC' It's a matter of opinion I know, but some of us think that a Rook and Rabbit Rifle should be one designed and built specifically for such shooting rather than reboring or relining an existing rifle designed for another purpose to take a Rook Rifle round. It's horses for courses but what the hell. lol. To my mind the ideal Rook and Rabbit rifle is a lightweight single shot rifle of classic British sporting rifle lines. Not a converted military training rifle with all the balance of a lead brick. Just my opinion of course, and worth what you paid for it.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Harry,

This 297/250 I. Hollis Martini was purpose made and cataloged as a rook rifle. For that matter Greenwood did include miniature Snider rook rifles.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Harry Eales
[ To my mind the ideal Rook and Rabbit rifle is a lightweight single shot rifle of classic British sporting rifle lines. Not a converted military training rifle with all the balance of a lead brick. Just my opinion of course, and worth what you paid for it. Harry
Harry, IMO you REALLY SHOULD look at some of Bob Snapp's creations before universally denigrating the converted militaries.

After all, the actions are, for all practical purposes, identical. The action parts will interchange between/among almost all the removable-subassembly models and makers, so basically the only difference is in the barrel and stocks.

Anyway, please take a close look at some of Bob's rifles and try to look at their shaping and general grace over and above all the glitz and bells&whistles.
Regards, Joe

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.