Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks a complicated way of doing a simple job to me , but each to their own .

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

thank you for the input everyone, i was hoping it was something i could get done for a few hundred dollars or less.

as far as getting the gun back on face, there are 3 small divots or holes on either side of the lump (lug) where you can see a bronze colored solder that was used. The holes are centered on the seam between the lug and the flats, so aligning them "should" just constitute getting the holes lined up. Right now half of the circles are about 3/32 further back than the rest of the hole.
did that make sense?

so is the consensus that the lug is brazed and the ribs soldered, therefore trying to re-braze would weaken or completely destroy te rib soldering, even with a heat sink, or filling the barrels with water, ect.?

if this thing turns out to be more than $300, there may be a Remington 1894 C grade project gun for about $500 for sale soon.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

We are talking red heat . You need to get the whole thing to tempreture so a heat sink would be countre productive ,plus the fact you can not get it apart without the ribs coming off .To do the job proporly there is only one way and that will be quite expensive .

Sidelock
Sidelock

When you consider that soft solder melts at about 360F and the silver braze is probably 800-1000F higher melting temp, and the fact that the little stub rib between the underlug (lump) and the forend lug is soft soldered, you can see the rib needs to be removed.

What's this gun worth if not for this problem? Weigh that against the cost to fix and make your choice.

Last edited by Chuck H; 09/18/12 03:47 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Check with Keith Kearcher.He has a web site. Bobby

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

well, given the fact that the stock has had a crack repaired, english straight, the head has a pin in it, period repair with engraved heads, there is a small ring in the right barrel, and the forearm, with ejectors, numbers don't match the rest of the gun.....i am assuming that once the smith looks at it i may be in the market for a new gun.

even though it is a C grade gun, and other than the above faults, in relatively nice shape, if the barrel lug wasn't messed up, i probably couldn't get more than $700 for it.

my problem is i LOVE Remington guns, and would want to find another in either C grade or higher, with straight grip and Ordnance barrels, those seem to be tough to find for less than 2K.

if Keith Kearcher responds to my email, according to the pricing on his website having both ribs and the lug re-attached may only cost around $300.00, but then i may have to re-blue as well...

i can deal with $300 to get her shooting again, but much more than that, i have a hell of a parts gun to sell.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

new idea,

if the solder broke, i am wondering if i could just tap the lump from the breech end with a brass hammer to get it lined back up and on face, then, take it to someone who does laser welding and have them tack it back on. from what i know about laser welding (very little) it is relatively low heat. Is this a crazy idea?

we are talking about the flats and the lug here, i assume this is pretty thick material.

Sidelock
Sidelock

What goes around... I am pretty sure I took a look at this gun about 15 years ago. A long time anyway. The lump was loose, and had been. Someone tried to fix it by drilling shallow (I think) holes along the lump junction on the barrel flats, and looked like they had inserted some pins in the holes. Which of course did not hold. As I remember, I gave the owner an estimate to take it all apart, re braze the lumps, re solder, etc. And he of course declined the cost. I often wondered what happened to the gun after I returned it to the owner.

It goes without saying that the attempted repair with the pins, etc was not what should have been done, but I am sure someone wanted a cheap job. I think the only proper course is to have the entire barrel set taken a part, cleaned, re brazed, soldered, etc. But the cost for all of this is not going to be low, and probably more than the gun is worth, or would be worth. But I would not do any welding on the barrels/lump joint, as this would prevent any further proper repair. If the barrels are bulged, I would forget any repair and relegate it to parts. Sad ending to an otherwise fine shotgun.

Dennis Potter
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Its possible the previous owner may have contacted you. I purchased it about 2 years ago at an auction. Im a big fan of doing things right if possible.
Hoping i can fix it still, once it is all back together i can hunt it a few times a year, then maybe just hang it on the wall.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I will second the Laser welding, might be your answer. If not it shouldn't wreck anything.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.