April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Vol423, Hammergun, Ted Schefelbein, Southern Sport, 1 invisible), 193 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,045
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Sidelock
Sidelock

A Dickson Round Action.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I thought I'd be able to write something down on the subject but the more I think about it, the more ideas pop into my head and the answer gets further away from me.
A gun for all jobs , a tough work horse or that 'something special' you've always hankered after but couldn't really afford, along with the costly divorce that would probably follow if you let your heart rule your wallet?
If I had to keep just one it'd be my AYA 20bore sxs. Nothing special but it suits me just fine. If it's something fancy, a Gibbs and Pitt actioned 12, or a westley drop lock, or a nice Jones under lever hammergun, or the beautiful scott baker sidelock (in my opinion, the prettiest looking gun ever) on page 40 of Mr. Hadoke's 'vintage guns for the modern shot', or....
Oh, I can't do it, please don't make me choose !

Rust never sleeps !
Sidelock
Sidelock

My choice would be an AH Fox smallbore with three sets of 20 gauge barrels and two sets of 16 gauge barrels.CE grade with finest european walnut,straight grip and also pistol grip stock and splinter and beavertail forends that fit the various barrels. Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

First, excluding multi-barrel guns makes this discussion a lot more interesting. Second, if it is truly a one gun situation, it has to be able to shoot steel, I would think. That unfortunately would eliminate my choice - a 16 ga. Sterly choked LMod/IMod.

Quote:
My 870 Wingmaster Magnum 12 with real checkering, 28" RemChoke barrel. Works for everything from doves to hogs.

From a purely practical perspective, this has to be the answer - aesthetics be damned.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think I'd give some consideration to the as yet seen Perazzi sxs in 20ga .

It should come in under 7 lbs and fit the bill for all my shooting. But then I wouldn't have a fo-te-an. So maybe that H&H 410.

Sidelock
Sidelock

12 ga. Boss O/U Funeral gun with 34" high rib barrels choked 15/25 outrageous English walnut pistol grip stock with slight palm swell and slender forearm. Weight 8 1/2 #'s. In an Oak and leather case with a label saying..
built by:
especially for:
Date:

Yep I think that'll get it.

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
Sidelock

If I could only have one it would have to be a sidelock side by side. Probably English and most likely a 12ga upland type. 2 3/4" chambers 28" barrels choked IC and IM.

I know the modern automatic shotguns we have are the most dependable most versatile firearm ever available to sportsmen, but if I can only have one it would have to have enough 'soul' to tide me through. A double'd do it, an autoloader wouldn't...geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Geo. Newbern
If I could only have one it would have to be a sidelock side by side. Probably English and most likely a 12ga upland type. 2 3/4" chambers 28" barrels choked IC and IM.

I know the modern automatic shotguns we have are the most dependable most versatile firearm ever available to sportsmen, but if I can only have one it would have to have enough 'soul' to tide me through. A double'd do it, an autoloader wouldn't...geo
Me too-Lewis Drake in KY had a matched pair of Boss 12 SLE's- 29" barrels, IC (1/4 choke) right tube and Imp-Mod (3/4 choke) left tube- zero cast 6 & 1/2bs. DT, AE of course, straight handed grip, Silvers pad- no cast-- chambered for 2 & 1/2" loads-- and I would shoot nothing but light RST 2.5" loads in mine- George, you can have the other "twin"-- I chose the finest (with Churchill a close second) of all the British made side-by-sides, as this is a double gun website- and also a man can dream, can't he- But as a waterfowler and pass shooter and with steel shot the issue- my Dad's 1937 Model 12- 12 gauge 30" Full with solid rib barrel--I've shot the beJesus out of that "Perfect Repeater" (and others in my working arsenal) since he handed it over to me in 1980- still on the factory set take-up notch, and no broken firing pin or any part for that matter- I don't much care for autoloaders or Over-Unders-- Model 12's or Sidelock doubles--suits me right down to the ground!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lefever "B" 16 ejector with straight stock and steel barrels bought by my great uncle in the '20's for $20.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One with free ammo. A generational inevitability that I'll agree with Foxy on model 12s so a m12 12 ga. w/ free ammo. I like my Charlin 12 a lot and most pre-war Supers. Shouldn't that question be if you could only have one gun safe?

jack

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.