May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jtplumb, Marks_21, Lloyd3, Ted Schefelbein, DSchrank), 257 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,546
Posts546,129
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Drew Hause #295767 10/03/12 03:15 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Drew Hause
Sir, gentlemen do not go sporting in such weather c. 1817

Great quote, Drew.

I said my piece about this in a previous thread. No need repeating it. Interesting to see I'm not the only one who feels this way, tho', Homeless jOe notwithstanding. grin

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemen,
I just carry a poplin roll up case in my pocket to protect mu guns from the rain( it rolls up smaller than a pack of cigarets).
Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rainy days are what my jam-o-matics and corn-shuckers are for...Geo

jmc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a Fox Sterlingworth out in a frog strangler whilst hunting grouse a couple of years ago. Dried it off and swabbed the tubes back at the cabin and got up the next morning to go out and the safety almost wouldn't budge but triggers and lever seemed OK. When I got back home I opened her up and nearly hit the floor when I saw how much rust had formed on many of the internals.. Apparently, there was no grease or lubricant on these surfaces when it's previous owner or his gunsmith had it serviced (it was re-case colored) at some point. I spent hours abating rust. Kind of has me freaked out about taking the old timers out in a real soaker.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Remington 1100 20 gauge, synthetic stock, RAIN GUN.

BUT why would one hunt in the rain? Plenty of nicer
days to hunt.

Mike

P.S. I live in Amarillo, we average one rain day a YEAR durning
hunting season smile
Really there are not many and usually if we arise to go duck hunting and it is raining the next stop is IHOP and then back home laugh

Last edited by skeettx; 10/03/12 05:02 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Geo. Newbern #295784 10/03/12 05:06 PM
Boxlock
Boxlock

I would never recommend using a fine gun to drive in tent stakes or such however I have used my (expensive for my wallet anyway) guns in some awful weather. Once while hunting (grouse&woodcock) in Vermont my Parker spent some time at the bottom of a small creek as a result of my trying an ill advised crossing of said waterway. After dumping the water out I hunted the rest of the day. That evening a complete disassembly, cleaning and oiling. With proper care, weather won't hurt it. Use it but don't abuse it.

Vern

Every true upland hunter should, in his lifetime, have one good shotgun and one good bird dog.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I can't believe all of you above hunt in the rain. Is it true? There are many better things when it's raining. Of course, I did not believe what I just wrote when I was three decades younger.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I asked the Old Woman if she could think of any activities that could entertain us on rainy days. She said "just go hunting".

Vern

Every true upland hunter should, in his lifetime, have one good shotgun and one good bird dog.
gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi all, my 2c worth on this subject. I really don't have a "rain gun", the reason is if the weather is that darn bad, I don't go. When I hunt I like to enjoy myself and getting crapped on ain't my idea of fun and enjoyment. I spent too much time in the infantry in crappy weather to know better! Besides, in my experience hunting is not that great when it's bad out, plus the dog does not work that well either.

I do view guns as both an art form and a tool. That being said, I do have some nice guns that I do take care of, ok, perhaps even baby. I didn't spend a bunch of money on a nice gun to just toss it in the back of the truck or use the stock as a boat paddle. I guess I'm from the school of you take care of what you have and it will take care of you.

If I wanted a beater gun, I'd get a pump. I won't waste my money on a cheap low grade double, that swings like a club and has no balance, and is not reliable when I need it to be.

Anyway, an interesting subject for sure!

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

I've stuck the action of a finer gun under my armpit on the way home, barrels draining downhill, but if I had known it would be really bad, the nod would have gone to the black plastic! Steve

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.