May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Stanton Hillis, Jusanothajoe, 1 invisible), 778 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,402
Members14,412
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have a hard case from the 30's covered in a coarse canvas material with leather trim. Is there anything I can use on the canvas to preserve it? Rather nice case from Army & Navy.

When an old man dies a library burns to the ground. (Old African proverb)
Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe,
I have a 30's Gibson archback guitar that was my father's that had a hardcase and fitted canvas cover with leather seam trim. The canvas was fine but the stitching and leather crumbled apart and left me with just pieces of canvas. I don't think I'm going to spend the money to have it rebuilt. Something you might consider is inspecting the strength of the seams and if they are weak, have it stitched over before it falls apart. Old stitching was likely cotton or linen. Over stitching with new polyester thread will hold the seam together indefinitely.

Last edited by Chuck H; 10/10/12 12:34 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Chuck, I did run a seam of white glue along the seam between the canvas and leather--it had begun to pull away and stitching wasn't an option. Worked fine with minor discoloration. But something is neeeded to "feed" the canvas itself. Humm.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

you could try using filson wax to help it. it is going to look a bit different than it does now, but should help preserve it.

start with a cleaning, use a dry vegetable brush for as much cleaning as possible, maybe a damp sponge for any spots.

you may want to explore using a fabric waterproofing spray like REVIVEX or Scotch guard.
i have never tried using it for this purpose, but it does have some bonding qualities that could really help keep the fibers in place.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck - If you're not going to bother getting the original case fixed I hope and trust you've got that Archtop in a suitably protective alternate case.....right?

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I were going to wax a canvas case, I'd probably liquify the wax with gentle heat and mineral spirits (carefully). Get it thin enough to brush on and penetrate the fibers. It will darken the color.

There are spray-on fabric preservatives that could work on canvas that is in decent shape. Look at automotive interior products with a UV-blocker.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Traditional English way to waterproof and preserve canvas covered cases is to work beeswax into the fibers. Gough Thomas mentions doing this to his guncases. I have tried it and it works. Mixed turpentine (the pine variety) with beeswax making it toothpaste soft and worked it into the canvas. It makes it look like a coarse weave Barbour coat, and it is waterproof.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I never cease to marvel at the subjects that come up here and the fact that someone will know the answer!! With above information, I have a couple of canvas cases that just moved up the to-do list in maintainance. Thanks guys!!!

DDA

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A member of this board sent me this link from a restorer of old trunks. In it can be found their recommendations for preserving canvass.

http://www.brettunsvillage.com/trunks/howto/finish.html

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.