April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (David Williamson), 189 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,045
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Greetings all,

I have a greener boxlock circa 1897, 12ga. 2 1/2" chambers, with either laminate or best figured 30" damascus barrels. Bores measure R.734" & L.735" and min. walls .027" in each except one thin spot 8" from muzzles on L outside which is .016" (probably a dent removed). Black powder proof with no re-proof.
Would you shoot modern nitro factory 2 1/2" shotshells out of it? Perhaps Gamebore F2's or B&P High pheasant? If not, what would you reccomend as the maximum pressure for nitro handloads?
My understanding is that these barrels should be in every way equal to or perhaps even superior to any fluid steel barrels from the same time period. I just need someone to agree or let me know I'm out to lunch! Thanks for any advice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I personally think the Gamebores and for sure the B&P High Pheasant are too stiff for the old damascus...........just my opinion....other opinions around here will differ......

Light hand loads are best for any damascus IMO.....7,000 PSI or less IMO......especially with the wall thickness you mentioned.....

Damascus & Twist wrapped barrels all have SEAMS....Fluid Steel Barrels DO NOT.....there lies the difference mate, especially with age and any previous owners "handy-work" figured into the equation..........

Doug

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only references I have found for pressures indicate a 12ga from the blackpowder era probably didn't exceed 8000psi. Unfortunately, it is hard to say how they were measuring pressure then, probably with LUP. If I were certain my damascus barrels were sound, and could get a pressure value for the ammo you are citing indicating it is less than 8000psi I would likely shoot it. If you handload the pressures can be brought well below 8000psi. It is the pressure and the weight of the shot charges which have changed over the years. You could also submit it for Nitro Proof.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for your thoughts. To the best of my knowledge, the bores are original and could have been nitro proved (if so ordered) at the time they were made. I have data for loads around 8000 PSI but I'm having trouble locating recipies for loads less than that which do not require exotic components. Any suggestions?
Those photos certainly are concerning...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lot of ifs here.

The bores are larger than 12 gauge, and may have been honed, any pitting?
.027 minimum wall thickness isn't bad, but you're talking nitro shells.
.016 is bad, although the location could be a lot worse.

Sounds like a nice gun, I wouldn't risk it. Might shoot black powder loads in it though.

Once you get used to cleaning it not such bad stuff.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Blue:
Try 16 grs. of Clays, 7/8 oz. of No. 6 and any one-piece wad designed for 7/8 oz. loads. Primer of your choice in a AA or STS hull.

Shot this for years. Easy on the gun and kills birds like a death ray. No worry in any reasonable Damascus barrel.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Why not just shoot black? End of concerns. In a smoothbore breech loader it probably cleans easier than nitro and in 2 1/2 in. cases you won't be giving up anything in performance.

Last edited by sharps4590; 10/12/12 08:01 PM.

NRA Benefactor 2008
NRA Patron 2007
NRA Endowment 1996
NRA Life 1988
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are 2 sources:

The Lyman data is for a muzzle loader.

I would want a bore scope to see that thin spot. Make sure some fool did hone it.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

IMR powders;PB and 7625 offer a wide range of very low pressure loads. I've been shooting them for years and they beat cleaning blk powder gunk out of your gun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great info. Thanks to all that have responded. I don't have the gun here to check the bores for the original proof size but will try to find out.
Pete- What would you be looking for at the thin spot? I understand that it is about an inch or so long in a isolated spot on the left side of the left bore.

I had never even considered using black powder loads. I have done a fair amount of reloading with nitro, including PB, Longshot, Int. Clays. All of the loads being at 8000PSI or less. Forgive my ignorance but can you handload black powder in modern cases? There is no chance, near as I can tell, in finding commercial black powder loads in Canada. Commercial nitro loads in 2.5" are hard enough.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.