May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
9 members (Borderbill, David Williamson, 4 invisible), 263 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,505
Posts545,553
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Earlier this week I stumbled on a nice little 20ga Sterlingworth to keep company the 12ga Fox pin gun my dad gave me for my 16th birthday in 1968. This gun is s/n 252xxx (1913 I believe) with 28" barrels. Yes, it has been restored, and while not Turnbull level work, I think whoever did it did a pretty decent job. New case colors, barrels reblued, and I'm pretty sure it is not the original stock. Not a mark or ding on the wood, and the checkering is not the flat diamonds but rather sharp with the side panels also checkered. It is 14 1/4" LOP and what appears to be an original hard butt plate. A nice, tight gun with the opening lever well right of center.

The only real issue was with the safety in that with it in the on position and when the forward trigger was pulled, it would force the safety to the off position and fire the right barrel. Using the excellent procedure I found by Mike Campbell on stock removal, I was able to solve that problem within a couple of hours. Thank you Mr.Campbell! BTW, there was no auto-safety rod, in fact no tunnel present, and no s/n stamped in the wood.

I had a local gunsmith measure the chokes and chambers before shooting the gun. The chambers at one time had been opened up to 2 3/4", but the thing I found odd was that the right choke measured .027" constriction while the left is only .009". On Wednesday I got to shoot 4 rounds of skeet with it using some light 3/4 oz. loads I whipped up, and came away with 4 decent rounds of 25-24-25-23. I tried going from back trigger to front on some of the doubles, and while it seemed to work OK, it sure doesn't feel natural. Since the gun is no longer original anyway, I'm thinking about having the right choke opened up a bit, and of course leaving the left alone. Any thoughts?

Anyway, at $1200 I almost dislocated a shoulder going for my wallet!

(Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics.)

Last edited by ShootingStar; 11/02/12 06:54 PM.

Mark

A sailor's creed - "If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of 'em."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like a great little shooter. No reason to not make it more user friendly for you.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If I broke 97 X 100 skeet targets with the way your gun is choked, I don't think I'd be looking at changing anything just yet. I'd also consider getting a 2nd opinion from another gunsmith regarding the choke constrictions. wink

Wild Skies
Since 1951
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonder if it started out IM right/ full left and the left was opened for 'skeet in'. Reverse chokes were common in the early days of Skeet. Might explain the absence of the auto-safety also.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wild Skies
If I broke 97 X 100 skeet targets with the way your gun is choked, I don't think I'd be looking at changing anything just yet. I'd also consider getting a 2nd opinion from another gunsmith regarding the choke constrictions. wink

Yeah, it's always nice run a round or two with a gun you've never shot before. whistle

I'm just wondering if I want to keep the right barrel at .010-.015" for now or go right to a skeet choke. Can always open it up further, but can't really put any back.

Last edited by ShootingStar; 11/02/12 07:43 PM.

Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Great looking Fox! Bobby

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good buy, Mark. Very pretty gun. If it is a re-stock, and it most likely is judging by the condition of the wood and the fact that the metal has been redone, it is a very nice job. Just enough figure in the wood to be interesting, and lines that are faithful to an original Fox. Well done.

Your comment about "stumbling onto it" reminds me of an old saw, "We'll back over more good luck than we'll ever chase down".

SRH

Last edited by Stan; 11/03/12 06:49 AM.

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wild Skies
I'd also consider getting a 2nd opinion from another gunsmith regarding the choke constrictions. wink

I'm pretty sure those measurements (R- .027", L- .009") are accurate. The right barrel turned 20-25 yd. skeet targets inside out, and the left barrel looked more like a normal skeet choke.

I'll probably just open up the right choke to about .006" and have fun with it.

Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

All I get is three red x's.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Fin2Feather
All I get is three red x's.

I used Imageshack and the site appears to be down this morning.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.