April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Der Ami, Jeremy Pearce, LGF, Jimmy W, 2 invisible), 792 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,837
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#299806 11/08/12 11:10 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Forum, I think I posted this on the wrong part of the forum.

Here is the link to my post. If anyone has any thoughts, it would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=299752#Post299752

Last edited by kcordell; 11/08/12 11:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Kevin,

Wonderful rifled choke gun, I'm definitely envious. The Exploras originally were regulated for the 2 1/2" Explora round that used the LT (Leslie Turner) cap bullet. Basically it was a pointed copper cone that has a lead base which is swagged on (could be the other way around, can't remember.) I am not sure if anyone has successfully recreated the actual thing, but I believe Ross Seyfried used to make them for his 20 and 28-Bore Faunetas. I'm sure there are a few people on here who would know if anyone has actually made a LT cap bullet for their Explora or Fauneta. If one had the know how and the proper equipment I'm sure it could be done.

Here is a cut away image of a Super Magnum Explora round with an LT cap bullet:

I do know that Exploras have been regulated for new Holland and Holland Paradox ammo with success.

Charlie

Last edited by cjhusn777; 11/09/12 12:10 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Here are some more photos of the LT cap bullets that I have found:

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Great data! Is it possible to shoot with conventional ball ammo?

Sidelock
Sidelock

What exactly do you mean by conventional ball ammo? Handloads using Paradox bullets? Spherical Balls?

Paradox style bullets are what you want to be running through this gun, or if you can find a source for LT caps somehow.

If you don't want to handload, I would definitely check out Holland and Holland's fatory Paradox ammo that they make now for their new Paradox guns. I have heard and seen pictures of someone using this ammo in their Explora. I think it would have to be re-regulated for it though. Not sure if there is any other options beside handloading or the factory Paradox ammo. I am hoping someone else will chime in on this.

If you are looking for anymore info, particularly on handloading, I will let the experts chime in as I have neither owned one of these guns or reloaded for one.

Here is a link to a thread on nitroexpress.com that might help. They talk a little bit about handloads, as well as the LT bullets:
http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=71907&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1

Charlie

Last edited by cjhusn777; 11/09/12 01:40 AM.
PM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a beautiful gun, ejector and I see pins so not a droplock. Single or double trigger? Westley's aren't that hard to figure out. Explora = 2 1/2" cartridge 730gr @ 1250 but with a capped bullet. It should regulate with a lead paradox style bullet to 50 and 100yds but might need some tweaking. Do you have bore and choke measurements? The gun looks to be pristine. The Holland ammo may be too slow to shoot well in your gun but it is worth a try. There are no capped bullets commercially available. Don't use modern slugs of any kind in this gun they are too hard. The cap doesn't really contact the choke.
I have a gun that shoots the capped bullet also, send me a pm.

A capped bullet should have a tighter grouping and better ballistics. Pretty impressive for a " ball and shotgun"

Last edited by PM; 11/09/12 06:27 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.