May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (trw999, Marks_21, 2 invisible), 1,077 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,504
Posts545,549
Members14,416
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Sidelock
Sidelock

I love my sub bore guns but my favorite all around guns are 12's, particularly 2 inch and 2.5 inch guns. My 2 inch, 12's, weigh in at around 5 pounds, 5 once's and are a delight to carry and to shoot. Ammo is readily available with a little forethought.

My 2.5 inch guns each weigh less than 6.5 pounds but do have the fell of 12 bores but are still delightful to carry and shoot. I might add that these 12's weigh less than many 20's on the market today, including one very nice Italian 20 bore that I own.

IMO, a 20 bore should weigh no more than 5 pounds, 10 onces, or so, and be on a true 20 bore frame. Ditto for 28's, which I don't shoot as well as a 12 or 20, but that is just me.

Almost all my guns are true game guns, mostly from the UK, have DT's, straight grips and so on. Perfect guns in my opinion.

Sidelock
Sidelock

All very well said, gentleman- but I am 'old school" so to me, Captain Paul A. Curtis, Ray P. Holland the "Shootin'est Gentleman from Deep Dixie all said it best- 12 gauge, and in Nash's own great phraseology, "Never send a boy to do a man's job"!! Now, I only shoot pheasants, waterfowl and turkeys, and live in the 'Nawth-- where we can't shoot doves or quail, those "midget birdies" maybe yes, a nice 20 bore would suffice.

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

this isn't a discussion of small bores... it's a BIG bore.

Sidelock
Sidelock

AmarilloMike nailed it.

Buzz, no offense, but it seems to me 'if you have to ask, you don't get it' applies. Hunters who don't "get" bowhunting may never get it. To some degree small gauges offer similar reward. It sure ain't light weight that is the attraction for me...my latest .410 is 6 1/2 lbs.

And I don't think America has as big a lovefest with small gauges as readers of this bbs might think. I think it's more confined to us old Willy-waggers that shoot obsolete design guns.

Now I have to get back to my lovefest

Last edited by Chuck H; 11/21/12 09:58 AM.
GLS Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: halifax
I love my sub bore guns but my favorite all around guns are 12's, particularly 2 inch and 2.5 inch guns. My 2 inch, 12's, weigh in at around 5 pounds, 5 once's and are a delight to carry and to shoot. Ammo is readily available with a little forethought.

Almost all my guns are true game guns, mostly from the UK, have DT's, straight grips and so on. Perfect guns in my opinion.

Halifax, welcome aboard on your first post. Don't be bashful to "show and tell" your guns, especially the 2" 12 that weighs 5 lbs, 5 oz. Gil

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike Bonner
I like a 28 ga Remington 1100s for ruffed grouse. I have 2, purchased mainly for training women and children in skeet and sporting clays, so why not take these guns into the ruffed grouse woods on my farm?

I agree that a 28ga 1100 (20ga too, for that matter) is about perfect for introducing woman and kids to clay targets. The only issue I have with the 28ga 1100's is they throw empties into the next zip code. When hunting especially, it is a PITA retrieving those precious little hulls.

Last edited by ShootingStar; 11/21/12 10:30 AM.

Mark

A sailor's creed - "If you can't tie good knots, tie lots of 'em."
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Small Bore
....I think the small bore fad on the vintage gun collector scene is motivated by a number of things. For some it is willy waving in reverse - "mine is smaller than yours, which makes me better". Never mind that so many try putting 12-bore loads down 20-bores, they think they are more skilled and sporting because they use a small bore gun.

Another reason is rarity. Collectors like to have something their friends don't have. As there are fewer small bores of quality, having one is a sign of success and wealth etc in the mind of some owners....

I would suspect it's right around here, more a want not a need. Never ever made sense to me to have a long list of advantages in the field for a safe queen.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have but one word to add to the conversation. Chukar.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: buzz
What is it with America's lovefest with the small gauge shotgun? I don't think anyone would argue with the superiority of the 12 bore in terms of harvesting game and the 12 is almost certainly more efficacious in terms of clay pigeons as compared to smallbores; hence the reason for the 12 ga for trap shooting. Now, why, if the gun is clearly advantageous for most shooting venues is there a rage in America for the sub gauges?? The subgauges are very much more expensive in terms of the cost of the gun and even the shells cost a lot more. Why then is there such demand and premium for 16, 20, 28 and .410 bore shotguns when a 12 will work just fine, if not better?? Even weight of the gun is not that much of a factor as there are light weight 12's out there. I just don't see much advantage for smaller gauge guns given the premium in cost of shells and guns. And in Europe, eg, England, the 12b is well established. Why not here? What's your opinion?

Back in Ole' England Old Farts and Women like 20br O/U shotguns too.

Sidelock
Sidelock

In a logical world small bores would be cheaper.

It follows the adage: "Less is more" which equates to there are less sxs's in small bores so you get to pay more for them. cry This is especially true of the .410 sxs's. Some of the sxs guns of middle quality in .410 cost easily twice what a 12 ga of the same model/make cost on the used market.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.