May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jtplumb), 439 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,462
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi folks!

I have not been back to this forum for quite a while, since my interests ebb and flow. However, the haunting question has been "date of manufacture" of my Merkel, purchased in Munich, Germany.

Merkel Model 122

S x S (same as Simson Model 76E)
Pre-owned, highest grade box-lock
Selective ejectors
Bushed firing pins (3-hole)
Game-scene engraved side-plates'
Brass-pin cocking indicator, protruding from each side-plate
Double triggers (black)
Arabesque engraved trigger-guard (black), edge zig-zag engraved
Receiver/forend -- Silver Nitride finish,
Receiver floorplate, modest Arabesque and the "Suhl Tradesman" 'trademark' stamping, with 'SUHL' stamped underneath
Barrels - raised solid rib, but slightly swamped, single brass bead
Pistol grip stock
18 to 19 lines/inch checkering stock/forend
Germanic cheek-piece (tear-drop oval)
Stock/forend - straight-grain, with medium dark bands of figure
Dark-stained stock/forend, oil finished
Forend - Arabesque engraving on lock-release mechanism

I am confused What might be the date of manufacture?

Gun has the following stampings:

Watertable

1a) 470299 (s/n ?)
1b) ((one each) stamping appears to be a "toadstool or 'lamp & shade' or torch")

Barrel Flats(looking down, chamber-end)
"left-side

2a) JS (encircled) ((Suhler Jagdwaffen ?), I think era of Soviet Occupation, about 1946 to 1998.)
2b) 18.5
2c) "toadstool or 'lamp & shade' or torch" stamping
2d) 10KG
2e) the Suhl Proof House "shield"
2f) 1/2 (choke ?)
2g) 12/76 (12-bore/3-inch chamber)

Barrel Flats (looking down, chamber-end)
"right-side"

3a) 18.6
3b) 470299 (s/n ?)
3c) 1/1 (choke ?)
3d) 12/76 (12-bore/ 3-inch chamber)

Under-barrel rib

4a) 'K2101' (between ejector rods and forend lug)
4b) 0 (at right angle to the 'K2101', but between the 'K2101' and the forend lug

Double-barrel (sighting rib - side)

5a) 1st line - GEBR. MERKEL SUHL
5b) 2nd line - MADE IN GERMANY
5c) Importer's name under left barrel N.E.Custom Guns Ltd-Plainsfield, NH (Mr. Appel had controlling interest at that time.)

Forend/lock-release casting (barrel-side)
6a) 70299 (s/n identifier ?)

Hope some of this helps! :)John

We're only responsible for the effort, not the outcome.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Send me any images & I'll post them for you. I wonder if the 10KG is the datecode?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

10KG as a datecode doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to me as I've never seen anything other than straight numbers - month and year - for the datecode.

Pictures....

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

It would make sense if it was from the period when a letter sequence was used and I think it is used today. Something like A-K for 0 - 9 or similar.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yes, I believe you fellows are on the right track. I vaguely remember a similar cipher discussed on the other forum
(general forum), before this German/Austrian forum was hatched.

Raimey, I sent you a PM.

:)John

Last edited by smilinjohn; 11/21/12 10:04 PM. Reason: correction

Sidelock
Sidelock

The PM hasn't arrived. Post 1968 the letter convention was to be used but I don't think all subscribed. Don't know when or if the Jahreszeichen fully converted back to numerical but after unification I think the Jahreszeichen went back to letter. It may have been an attempt to prevent the easy ID of the year of proof and inject a bit of haze as to how long a sporting weapon had been in the shop. Anyone have a post 2000 with proofmarks? Also remember that I/J are one.

A 0
B 1
C 2
D 3
E 4
F 5
G 6
H 7
I/J 8
k 9

So 10KG must might be for October 1996?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, Raimey, 10KG = Oct., 1996

Then I came along in Oct., 1999, put gun on my credit card, and have wondered how this gun survived so well for perhaps several years....all along it was only three years old when I bought it. It sure looked well taken care of. smile

Raimey, thank you for offering to post photos for me. I'd still like to share some photos of my Merkel, yet, don't even know how to attach photos to a PM, nor email, but want to learn. This was the crux of my PM to you.
:)John

Last edited by smilinjohn; 11/22/12 12:53 AM. Reason: character-spacing correction

Sidelock
Sidelock

John:
Email them to me & I'll make sure they are posted & I'll try to describe how you could do it. The mixing of numeric for the month and letters for the year is a bit odd but I guess it is possible. I would say the position the mark holds might be a clue. Ground truth would be to contact Merkel with the serial nr. & they would put us on the straight & narrow.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: ellenbr
... Post 1968 the letter convention was to be used but I don't think all subscribed. Don't know when or if the Jahreszeichen fully converted back to numerical but after unification I think the Jahreszeichen went back to letter. It may have been an attempt to prevent the easy ID of the year of proof and inject a bit of haze as to how long a sporting weapon had been in the shop. Anyone have a post 2000 with proofmarks? Also remember that I/J are one. ...

Well, that can resolve the mystery. My Simson has "1079" on the barrel flats, so at least as of October 1979 Simson hadn't signed on to changing to letters.

As noted, ground truth would be to contact Merkel, but this is much more fun.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

Indeed a guessing game and we all eat, breath & sleep it for some unknown reason. I guess one would call it a hobby or refer to it as an obsession?????

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.