March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Marshgrass, Roundsworth, gasgunner, R. Glenz, Lloyd3, Wild Skies), 837 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
devrep Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm sure ya'll have discussed this. another post got me looking at photos of some of my guns and some of the photos are of patterns I shot a few years ago. most of the patterns shot do not match the choke measurements as to what is commonly listed on choke charts.

for instance, I have a superposed 410 skeet that at 30 yrds patterned mod/full as far as percentage of shot in the circle.

28ga super with Simmons barrels measured at .001/.001 patters IM/full.

Parker VH 20ga measures .014/.006 but patterns full/full.

Uggie 410 marked IM/mod patterns full/full.

Belgian 28ga sxs measures .010/.011 but patterns IM/IM.

Model 21 12ga measures .010/.032 patterns mod/full.

I have 2 Superposed 12ga trap guns that are full/extra full and pattern perfectly.

Is this a result of modern shells with shot cups and choke charts being out of date?

Last edited by devrep; 11/28/12 12:18 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

It's nothing more than a situation where barrels are stamped based on dimensional considerations rather than performance with any individual load.

No big whoop there. Same as it ever was.

HTH

have a day

Dr.WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: devrep
Is this a result of modern shells with shot cups and choke charts being out of date?

GT Garwood / Gough Thomas wrote that in his opinion the shot cup tightened the pattern one degree of choke. I took that to mean that half choke shot as a 3/4 choke and 3/4 choke as full. He wrote that in the 1960s I believe.

And certainly not all barrels choked 20/1000ths shot the same patten density, as in your mileage may vary.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 11/28/12 03:27 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Even farther removed from serving as an accurate predictor of performance is the "choke" stamping on the barrel.

I can understand how someone might not spring for a bore gauge. Believing a specified choke stamping obviates a need to pattern with one's chosen shell is inexcusably naive.

Sam

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
It's nothing more than a situation where barrels are stamped based on dimensional considerations rather than performance with any individual load.

No big whoop there. Same as it ever was.

HTH

have a day

Dr.WtS

+1

Sidelock
Sidelock

No slight intended, but if you can't see a difference between those two chokes in that gun, I'm somewhat suspicious of your testing protocol. Just sayin'.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lovely responses. Choke is empirical as well as shot size dependent. There is no substitute no matter what any one person might say. I guess choke vs. constriction might be interjected.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

For those who have considered the idea or rejected the idea, I strongly suggest reading Dr. A. C. Jones's book on sporting shotgun performance. Per Dr. Jones, it takes 10 patterns statistically analized to say much about any given barrel-load combination. The problem is that there is so much shot-to-shot variation that a single pattern is pretty much worthless as a predictor of barrel-load performance. Likewise, eyeball analysis is not reliable. He offers a nifty bit of software that will convert digital photos of patterns into statistical terms and values. BTW, to date, choke constriction is the only predictor of choke effect. Most of what we have read and been told has been based on far to little data.

DDA

Sidelock
Sidelock

+1 on Dr. Jones' book. Not exactly breezy reading, but very informative on various shot performance issues that are often the victim of wives tales.

I was helping a friend gunshop for a target gun (hey, someone's gotta step up) and came across a post elsewhere on Beretta's new DT11 and its "Steelium" barrels - according to Beretta "The result is the creation of a progressive conicity that removes any sudden constriction, allowing the DT11 to fix new performance standards."

The poster was commenting on how the IC choke on his DT11 was delivering "hard breaks" at 40+ yards, which has to mean that the IC choke was probably delivering Mod/IMod choke performance (something like 70% at 30 or 35 yards). Which is all well and good, but the poster clearly did not recognize that there had to be a trade-off - that "IC" pattern must be ~10" smaller at 25 yards than a true IC choke in order to deliver that performance at 40 yards.

Interesting how gun makers and shell manufacturers never offer pattern testing to back up their claims of "improved patterns" and "improved shot concentration and distribution." It also makes you wonder if any pattern testing happens to confirm performance, or do they just thrown in a box of .005, .010, 0.20, .025 and .035 chokes with the standard markings and consider the job done.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
devrep Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

perhaps you are correct. I used a 30" circle at 30 yards for the 20 ga. This was years ago, I'll have to get the bore gauge out and see if I made a mistake in measuring. don't think so though.

Originally Posted By: mike campbell

No slight intended, but if you can't see a difference between those two chokes in that gun, I'm somewhat suspicious of your testing protocol. Just sayin'.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.