May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (FlyChamps, SKB, cpa, LGF, Der Ami, 1 invisible), 413 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,498
Posts545,433
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

I like the 97 a lot. I don't have any problem with them cutting my hand but many people do. Everyone grips the guns a little differently.
I usually lighten the hammer spring some on a 97 to make the action function smoother. It takes some of the hammer camming action off off the bottom of the bolt when it's retracted so it operates easier. Makes for less wear and if there is some bolt wear at that point, it won't be as much of an issue in closing the action with less upward hammer push while it's sliding forward.

The ejector/spring is fragile. Just a small bent flat spring L shaped piece that fits into the left side of the frame and held w/a screw. The tip can be broken off and you won't know it unless you shoot the gun. Just a quick look over , you won't see it. The larger part is still attached to the outside of the frame. Replacements (aftermarket) are available now thanks to Cowboy Shooting. The last couple I got seemed a bit brittle yet so I drew them back a little more and they seem to work well.

Worn cartridge stops can be a problem. Shells won't stay in the magazine,,or usually the problem is an extra jumps out of the mag as you are feeding one into the chamber. Sometimes it's just 100yrs of grime behind the stop & spring. But they do just plainly wear out at the small edge that catches the shell rim.

They crack the stocks at the wrist a lot. The fit up is like a M12. A through bolt with the stock fitting over a tapered extension from the back of the recv'r that the stock bolt threads into.
Things get loose, oil soaked and that tapered extension gets to act like a wedge and the wood splits.

I can't recall what the chamber length was on these (12ga) but it's not a bad idea to measure it anyway.
Some have been lengthened over the years by well intending people to make sure they are 2 3/4".
The problem is that they just take the bbl assembly and stick it in a vise and run the reamer in to the 2 3/4" mark.
What they have just done is chambered the gun to 3".
They forgot or didn't realize that there is a chamber extension ring in the receiver (as there also is in the M12) that is part of the chamber length. It's about 1/4" in length and has to be taken in to account when measurments are taken or any cutting is done.

TD is the same as the M12. Check it to see if it's still at the beginning of the take up or where it may have been adjusted to. If it's at the end of it's usable adjustment,,you have to decide if it's still tight and will stay that way for your purposes.
They used to sell different TD thread rings (1 thru 4 I think) for all the pumps including the 42 to be able to tighten them up again when the original factory fitted one ran out of adjustment.
None of these problems with a solid frame gun of course.

Check the 1/2 cock to make sure it's secure. It's your only manual Safety.
There is a firing pin safety inside the bolt. It blocks the firing pin when the bolt is unlocked and then disengages when the bolt is locked. Supposed to keep the gun from firing w/o the bolt being locked. It can fail though. Either through the parts them selves or just dirt and rust.

With the bbl assembly off the frame, slide the pump handle back and take a close look at the slide rod. Make sure it hasn't been twisted and restraightened,,welded on,,and especially the end hasn't been brazed or welded on to rebuild it 'just so it works'.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks, I'll try to give that stuff a look when I find one.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Model 12's (and 1912's) My "Vade mecum" of repeating shotguns. I grew up with M12's- all the men in my family (except my maternal grandfather, who shot a Pigeon grade Model 1897 12 gauge for ducks) shot them. I have nine, all made before 1950- and all of them are using guns, best pointing, natural action repeater ever designed. My 1948 Pigeon Grade Trap gun (30" older two-pin milled rib) has had over 200,000 registered ATA targets under its "belt" plus God only knows how many practice birds- still works as sweet as the day it left the factory in New Haven- never had a broken or defective part. The rest are field guns, mainly 12's and 20's with one 28 gauge, and two of the 12 gauges are the 3" Magnum Heavy Duck versions that came out in about 1935.

I like the M97, as I respect John Browning's genius, but it is a flawed design when compared to the Model 12-

Here are some "myths" various gun hustlers/huckers/con-men/ psuedo dealers will try to run by you to get you to buy their over priced Model 12's (1) I have a Model 1912- predecessor to the Model 12- Bull &^%$- same damn gun, WRA had beaucoup "running changes" and in 1919 they changed the roll stamp from Model 1912 to Model 12- why? Ask Edwin Puglesy or Thomas Crossley Johnson- I don't know why, and they are both dead.
This is the scarce "nickel steel" Model 12- again BS- from 1912 until about 1931- except for the short-lived Stainless steel Fubar WRA had from about 1926 to 1929- Nickel steel was their trade-mark for their nickel ordnance steel- in 1933 they went to AISI 4140- guess what- nickel steel, different markings. (3) This is a genuine Model 12 Trap gun-- Trap shooting is a game, as is skeet- But WRA confused a lot of folks when they had a Trap, Tournament and then Pigeon grade offering in trap shooting configuration: 1921 to about 1936-then 1950 era, when they went to a Simmons designed rib- I have a friend who has a (segue here to a side-by-side Winchester) Model 21 20 gauge Trap grade skeet gun--a 26" barreled 20 bore with open chokes is no more a gun for 16 yard rise at ATA Trap targets than a lemon is a fire hydrant--

All 12 gauge Model 1912's and Model 12's had std 2 & 3/4" chambering from the get-go- aprox 1914--the 16 and 20 gauges had shorter chambers until about 1930-when they were standardized at 2 &3/4" as well- exception being of course, the heavy duck gun, which has 3" chambers-- Rare Model 12's-- IMO-- Any 28" gauge with 30" barrel, ribbed or plain- Any std. 12 gauge with a 32" barrel, agauin plain or ribbed, and perhaps rarest of all the 12 gauges- a 12 with 32" solid rib barrel that was returned to New Haven and converted to a 3" chambered Model 12 (NOT a true Heavy Duck) and if you have the verifying paperwork, you have a "rara avis" indeed.

I see lots of Model 12 12 gauge "shooters' in my travels, let me know when you decide what you want and I'll try to help you find it- I love older Model 12's like Lindsay Lohan loves being a general RPA to the free world--

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
Sidelock
Sidelock

IMO the 16ga Model 12 has great lines in 28in and points as well as a non-double can.Just bought a 1947 model for $350.How can you go wrong?

GF1 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm a big fan of the Model 12, especially in 16 gauge, as it comes in with lightest receiver of them all and is a real bargain today. I'd look for a gun made in the mid/late '50s, as the stocks have a bit less drop and you don't have to worry about the short chamber issue (and all that goes with it).

Mine weighs 6 1/2# w/ 28" plain barrel, is one of the last guns I'd part with for any price.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Stay away from the 28 gauge Model 12, other than that, No!!!

More than a few gunshop owners around here believe and believe very very strongly that the Model 12 is the be all and end all of all shotguns.
An old timer in Rockwood Pa had a beautiful Model 12 in a glass case with a sign on it that said, "NOT FOR SALE AT ANY PRICE SO DON"T ASK"

MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered
MIKE THE BEAR
Unregistered

Sidekick,

Try and get a Model 12 WS-1, with ventilated rib if you can find one in good shape. It didn't achieve legendary status in Skeet Shooting without good reason. It has very good balance and dynamics.
A Browning Model 12 in 20 gauge will also work very well as a bird gun.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It's funny that you mention a 50's model with a vent rib because what I find myself being drawn to in my internet searches is a 50's model with a 28" modified vent rib barrel.

I'm not really buying the gun just for me. Two years ago my brother in law was killed in a car accident. He left my sister and his two young boys on the farm. They're still a little young to be packing a gun but they dearly love to follow their only uncle and since I'm about the only one to get them steered in the right direction and show them the stuff that young boys need to know I thought it would be nice if I could find a few classic guns that could be theirs when the time comes. Their Dad left a few behind but not all are really suitable. I'm a reloader so I can make a 12 gauge behave until they're big enough to handle it. I already have a few that belonged to my Grandpa but I need a couple more. I think it's a pretty good excuse to keep filling my gun safe lol!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I love my model 12 & 97's. I only own examples in 16 gauge, not sure why that is either, just how it worked out. My 97 was made in 1914, it's heavy but it's very dynamic and shoots like a dream. It's my 16 year olds favorite gun to hunt with, it's my goto dove gun. I like older model 12's with short barrels, no rib and corn cobb forends. I believe these are lighter in weight, handle much better and are better made than the later guns. I've had examples from the 20's, 30's, 40's and 50's on my bench torn down to the bits and can say that the guns made in the 20's and 30's are in my opinion the best of the lot. I hunted with a early 1930's model 12 16 gauge, 26" solid rib with mod choke for most of the sharp tail season and rarely missed, it was just a killer. It weighs 6lbs 10 oz and is just an incredible hunting gun.
By the way, I've never busted my knuckles working the 97'. Never even came close.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am with LeFusil on my favorite configuration of Model 12s !

Something unique about the '97s is how short and compact the Receiver is.

Last edited by postoak; 12/02/12 05:00 PM.

Mine's a tale that can't be told, my freedom I hold dear.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.