April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (bushveld, Lloyd3, obsessed-with-doubles, Argo44, Tim in PA), 228 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,041
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Franchi Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi Gang:

I have the above rifle languishing in a closet that I need to play with asap. The gun needs a period correct scope so I want to ask you people what scope would look great on that rifle for the period?

I have been thinking of a Lyman Alaskan, Kollmorgen,Redfield Leupold and last on my list is the old Weaver K4. The gun is chambered in the ubiquitous 30-06 and is in great shape. I want no more than a 4 power and the Weaver K4 is the least desirable of all of the scopes of that period. I think that Jack O'Conner always had a K4 on his Winchester 70.

What mount would look great with this combination?

What say you?

Stay well,

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

Unertl 4x Hawk, in period Redfield 1-pc base. Use the base screws for windage adjustment since the reticle isn't centered. Miles above a Weaver and of a quality equal to your fine rifle. Buehler mount would be almost as good and was made with elevation adjustment in some models.
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

REDFIELD BEARCAT LEUPOLD M8 4X

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nick Stroebel's books lists the various years
that the scopes were manufactured. If you want
a scope that was made the same year as your rifle.
The Unertl Falcon 2.75x and Hawk 4x were made from 1950-1980
The Leupold M-8 4x didn't come out until 1965. But there
were earlier models like the Mountainer 4x from 1953 to 1960.
I like the Bushnell early Scopechief's which were made
from 1953 to 1965. I totally agree with Joe about the
Redfield bases and rings. The Stith, Kollmorgan, Redfield
line were marked Stith from 1950 to 1956, Kollmorgan from 1956 to 1959 and Redfield afterwards. The Lyman Challenger 4x was made from 1949 to 1957 and the All-American line from 1954-1961, the
Lyman All-Americans with the Perma-Center markings were made from
1962 to 1980. Lyman Alaskan's are nice but, it is hard to get one for less than 200, and then the rings aren't cheap either.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Perhaps a Boone scope.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The Lyman Challenger was the top line of Lyman hunting scopes in the 1950's. It has a 26mm tube. Finding period correct rings in 26mm may be a challenge. A Norman Ford Texan is a clone of the Lyman Alaskan and would be period correct.

Franchi Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hi All:

Thanks for the suggestions!

I "found" an old Bushnell Scopechief 4X in my junk scope drawer.

This is marked Bushnell Scopechief and Triple Tested on the side of the turret. I have no idea if this is period correct. Perhaps someone can tell me the age of this scope. Sometimes one gets lucky! Lol

I had my heart set on an Alaskan or a Stith Bear Cub but this one will suffice for now

If I remember correctly, the Unertl Hawks were not weather resistant and did not have centered reticules. They may not have been coated as we have nowadays

I just remembered that I have an old Bushnell Scopechief 6X from the 50's. The reticule is not centered and it has much adjustments dialed in thus producing a very weird looking sight picture. Oh how I lusted for one of these scopes for varmints when I was young. They had a huge objective lens that had to be good!

Stay well my friends,

Zeke

Sidelock
Sidelock

"I had my heart set on an Alaskan"

I like the Alaskan a lot. If the range is around 200-yards or less the Alaskan is hard to beat. The reason they are getting more expensive is because it's a good scope and more folks want one.

I put one on my .400-Whelen and it stays zeroed. Low power and big field of view. My vote for the Alaskan.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Franchi
Hi All:

Thanks for the suggestions!

I "found" an old Bushnell Scopechief 4X in my junk scope drawer.

This is marked Bushnell Scopechief and Triple Tested on the side of the turret. I have no idea if this is period correct. Perhaps someone can tell me the age of this scope. Sometimes one gets lucky! Lol

I had my heart set on an Alaskan or a Stith Bear Cub but this one will suffice for now

If I remember correctly, the Unertl Hawks were not weather resistant and did not have centered reticules. They may not have been coated as we have nowadays

I just remembered that I have an old Bushnell Scopechief 6X from the 50's. The reticule is not centered and it has much adjustments dialed in thus producing a very weird looking sight picture. Oh how I lusted for one of these scopes for varmints when I was young. They had a huge objective lens that had to be good!

Stay well my friends,

Zeke

If I understand Nick Stroebel's book correctly, the Scopechief's were produced from 1954 to 1965, in 1959 they
added the command post feature in which you could change
from crosshairs, to a crosshairs with a vertical post by
flipping a lever beneath the windage cap. If your does
not have the command post feature, I would say it was one
of the early ones, made before 1959. I believe Whitey once told me that some or all of these may have been manufactured by Kowa in Japan. I always pick these up when I can get them cheaply.

Sidelock
Sidelock

But why is the Weaver K-4 "the least desirable of all the scopes of that period"????

Last edited by Mike A.; 12/09/12 11:41 AM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.