March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
8 members (CJF, Jimmy W, AZMike, Hugh Lomas, eightbore, 1 invisible), 605 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: 2holer
Originally Posted By: Gnomon
Does your gun have intercepting sears?

How many 3k o/u guns have intercepting sears? I can tell you a sxs that does.

I don't know.

That's why I asked. It was not a rhetorical question.

Every one of m y SxS sidelocks has them. I've never owned an O/U.

775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, did you ever determine what caused your guns to go off when closing? I have had it happen twice, both times with the same gun and am stumped.

Ms. Raven
Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe most modern O/U do NOT have true interceptors. On most the safety blocks the trigger pull, not the hammer fall. Certainly it is possible, the cause will be harder to discover.

This ain't a dress rehearsal , Don't Let the Old Man IN
Sidelock
Sidelock

2-piper's theory of a possible cook-off would be easy enough to check if you kept your fired shells. One empty would not have a firing pin indentation if it went off without a hammer dropping. I'm thinking it was more likely a worn sear due to heavy use or improper hardening. It could have been on the verge of doubling and the extra jostling from opening it let it off.

If you send it back to the maker rather than a good independant gunsmith, I think you're less likely to hear them admit the true cause if it's due to defective parts. The independant gunsmith would have no vested interest in not having such information out there to possibly be used in a future lawsuit. Hope you'll follow up and let us know what you find out.

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Guerinis have what they call a "safety sear" on all their OUs.

Quote:
8. Safety sears: Our sears incorporate a secondary interceptor notch that catches the hammer to help prevent accidental discharges. It also acts as a anti doubling device.

Caesar Guerini

If the gun involved was a Guerini, that would be most interesting.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I would opine that for there to be enough heat running around to be transferred from one barrel to the other and cause a cookoff (in a plastic shell), the barrels would be so hot the shooter would not be able to touch them without burning himself. My experience with cookoffs actually happening (as opposed to being talked about) is limited to the M60 MG, and getting to the point of risking cookoffs there came only when the barrel was close to glowing hot.

I suspect your problem is mechanical, not thermal.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

I seriously doubt it was a cook off either, but did mention it. I have seen one in my lifetime & that was on a 1,000" range with a .30cal MG, forget the model but was .30-06. Operator left it loaded at cease fire rather than opening the bolt & putting in the T-block. We were all back down off the firing line getting instructions on the next order of fire when she let go, so was a few minutes. He got one Royal Chewing out & NO it wasn't me.
I really had not thought about build up of blows incurred from inertia but that could also be a possibility, was simply thinking the hammer had to fall.
I had one double go off in closing once, & old J Stevens. All I could ever detetermine was I didn't open it quite enough to get the sears fully set & was in my early years & closed it rather swiftly. After that I always made sure I fully opened it & closed it more gently & it never did it again.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

If you want it fixed with the knowledge of what caused it, take it to a well known smith recommended by some of the folks here. The mfr may or may not have people good enough to diagnose it. Personally, I'd have that stock off 5mins after getting home from the range to see wtf was going on in there. It may be as simple as debris preventing the sear from seating fully or could be a broken part or something much more subtle.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I had an accidential discharge many years ago with an Ithaca 500 20ga over/under which I had borrowed. We were shooting skeet and I was preparing to shoot the high house on Station 8. I dropped a shell into the gun and as I was raising it to my shoulder it discharged. I did NOT have my finger on the trigger and fortunately the gun was pointed in a safe direction. I never found out the actual cause but suspected incomplete sear engagement may have been the problem.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Sidelock
Sidelock

lots of words of wisdom regarding accidental discharge

a "cook off" seems far less likely than a mechanical or cleaning issue.

I'd guess the trigger pulls had been worked on by a "gunsmith".

In any case:

take stock off
examine sear and hammer notch with magnification
clean and re-examine

or have a pro go over the gun if you are not qualified

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.