April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jerry G, Ian Forrester, montenegrin, Lloyd3, liverwort, 1 invisible), 491 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,068
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#307032 12/31/12 09:46 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I came across a very nice custom 30-06 on a 98 Mauseer action in a gun shop today. The receiver and barrel have German proofmarks. The gun is fully engraved in English scroll with a gold inlayed quail on the grip cap and a relief chiseled stag on the floorplate. I believe , by the style of cutting, it was engraved in Germany or Austria.

The barrel is stamped Bohler Special Stainless and hand engraved "30-06 Govt." as well as "Quail & Donaldson" The barrel also has has an open rear and ramp front sights. The receiver is tapped for a mount but has no scope mount.

Something I found unusual is that the receiver had a sliding tang safety.

Can anyone tell me anything about Quail & Donaldson? Were they British or American?

Thanks

Roger

Last edited by C. Roger Bleile; 12/31/12 09:47 PM.

C. Roger Bleile
Author of American Engravers-The 21st Century
FEGA Historian
www.engravingglossary.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

Roger: The only place I remember seeing that imprimatur was in the A&F store in N.Y. a few years before thay closed. As I recall the A&F gun guru present that day said they were imported from Austria by 2 gents, named Quayle and Dunaldsen from wee ol' Scotland. That's all I know, the gun I saw that day did not appeal to me with skipline checkering etc., though it had nice figure in the wood.HTH Jerry

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks Jerry. I'm going to visit the shop again and give it a closer look. Now that I think of it, I think the proofs are Austrian.

Roger

C. Roger Bleile
FEGA Historian
Sidelock
Sidelock

Roger: I want to make sure I have not given you the impression you were wrong on the name. Your spelling is correct, I believe they changed it according to him, to be more market friendly.BTW what are they asking for the rifle? When I saw the other one in 1974 it was $1250 Jerry

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Jerry,

He's asking $1800. but I think he will do better. He's a friend and said that he's in it right. BTW, no skip line checkering on this one. I'll let you guys know if I decide to get it.

Roger

C. Roger Bleile
FEGA Historian
Sidelock
Sidelock

For that amount of engraving it sounds like one you ought to pursue, especially if you can get it for less. Does it have ...Classic stock style, 90 degree ebony forearm tip, gripcap, pancake cheekpiece, recoil pad? Jerry

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It has a classic stock style, 90 degree ebony forearm tip, engraved gripcap with an inlayed gold quail. The cheekpiece is not a pancake. I'm not sure of the corect name for it. It may be called a Monte Carlo style but there is no hump on the comb. There is an old Pachmayer pad. It is the brown ventilated type with a white line...very ugly. The checkering is very fine. Also the bolt shank is engraved and the knob hand checkered.

C. Roger Bleile
FEGA Historian
Sidelock
Sidelock

Roger: If you can get them down below $1500 with that amount of engraving, it would be mighty attractive. Keep us posted. GOOD LUCK Jerry

Boxlock
Boxlock

I would like to shed some light on any questions related to Quaile and Donaldson guns.

George Quaile (my father) and Donny Donaldson were both Americans who met in Austria in the early 1960's whilst both were living in Europe. My father George in Austria where he also built and ran a hotel and Donny living in Munich, Bavaria Germany. Great friends and hunting partners, they had the guns made in Villach, Austria with the wood for the hilts brought over the border from the former Yugoslavia. They then imported there guns into America and sold them from their gun shop Quaile and Donaldson in Florida.

All their guns should have a Quail engraved on the hilt

I would like to reiterate that neither were Scottish (unless you go back another 100 years) but both very much Americans who wondered over to Europe and in my fathers case never left. He is now buried with his eldest son in the valley he made his home and brought all four of his children up in.

I do hope this is of assistance to someone. Also we are Quaile with a E not a Y.

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only Mauser I can recall, other than a custom, that came with a tang safety is a Voere. Where the guns were assembled it seems likely. --- John

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.