Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Silvers Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A friend came by yesterday with a Fox that has some dark staining on the forend wood. It almost looks like wood stain was applied to the surface but it's too irregular to be stain that was deliberately applied. It doesn't appear to have been darkened with a torch. I'm thinking it might be gun grease that was put on the barrels for long term storage. I tried to remove it with acetone, but that didn't work hardly at all. So the questions are, has anyone seen this before, any ideas on what this is, and how do we remove it?

Thanks in advance for replies.

Frank Silvers

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
CJO Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi frank,
Sometimes corrosion of the metal in direct contact with the wood will cause similar staining, you often see it on salt era Brownings

CJ

The taste of poor quality lingers long after the cheap price is forgotten.........
Sidelock
Sidelock

Staining due to rust is the most likely explanation . I used to make a black wood stain dissolving iron filings in vinegar.
Very difficult to get rid of entirely but bleaching with oxalic acid is a good start . Try looking at the wood work /antique restoration suppliers ,there are a number of bleaching products available . The result may be that the wood ends up "white" but can be easily stained back to match ,but go gently with the stain on the treated area as it will almost certainly darken quicker that the rest of the wood .

Sidelock
Sidelock

Frank,
I think gunman has it right. The wood was probably against a wet barrel.

Oxalic acid should be available at any paint or hardware store. It comes in white crystals and you only need a small amount dissolved in water. Apply with a Q-tip, wait a bit and rinse it off. You may be lucky and not affect the original color.

So many guns, so little time!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Looks like toxic sweat from a shooter's grimy fingers to me...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

I've found that dissolving the Oxalic chrystals in warm but not hot water helps the process. Let's us know how this turns out.
Jim

The 2nd Amendment IS an unalienable right.
Silvers Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks everyone. This is on a duck gun that probably got wet often. There's some more discoloring under the forend too. I found a source for oxalic acid, ordered, and will post results when I get to try it out. Frank

I AM SILVERS, NOT SLIVER = two different members. I'm in the northeast, the other member is in MT.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Frank, please be aware that Oxalic Acid is a 'poison' so if there are kids around, just mix enough as you need each time, and keep the crystals well out of reach. I use it regularly in my work as an entomologist. It's a muscle relaxant and if consumed, it can stop your heart from beating.

Harry

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Harry, this sounds like the beginning of a classic British murder mystery.... Not that a fine double would ever motivate a member of this upstanding board to crime...

Boxlock
Boxlock

With respect I unaware of any muscle relaxant qualities of Oxalic Acid. I am not saying that they do not exist I just an unaware of them. It is however quite toxic and can lead to kidney failure associated with the formation of calcium oxylate crystals (this is one of the causes of antifreeze toxicity). It is also highly tissue irritating especially to the respiratory and GI tract. Just FYI since the topic was brought up. James

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.