Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the comments and the welcomes guys.

AmarilloMike,
It could have been quite a bit lighter but those were the customers specs, I wanted to make the barrels 24" long with a real fast taper on them. That would have taken about 10 pounds off the muzzle and allowed me to use less weight in the buttstock for counter balance saving another couple pounds...overall it could have weighed around 30-32 pounds instead of 44. But the man paying the bills gets to decide most things, except were safety is concerned or when what the customer wants would damage my reputation as a builder.

Remington40x,

We've been in a bit of a drought here for a while so my rifle range/pasture was a little bit dry. It's not the first time I've set it on fire and probably won't be the last. Once in a while I even burn it on purpose.

Rocketman,

Yeah it kicks a bit but not as bad as the single shots 2 bore's I've built.

Colin

The bill of right - void were prohibited by law!
LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

You have certainly got our attention! Your videos are great.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Left handed too. Tell us about the howda pistol.Same bore?

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm reasonably strong but I'm not sure I could shoulder AND aim a 44 pound rifle.

Thanks for posting!

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

LGF,
I'm glad you enjoyed the videos. I think I'm the first person to fully document a double rifle build.

oldmanriver,
The pistol is a 2 Bore Muzzleloader made from a scrap of barrel left over from another 2 Bore project. The bore is the same but because it is a muzzleloader it shoots 1.300" patched round balls. There is a video of me and a friend of mine shooting it before it was finished(it's somewhere in the blog or on my youtube channel, I can post a link if you want.). The pistol weighs 7 pounds and is left handed to match the rifle. Same finish on the metal. The grips are walnut instead of maple like the rifle.

ohiosam,

Don't worry I can't shoulder it with supporting the forearm either. As i described on my website it was built to the customers specifications, if I had been building it for me I would have shortened the barrels to 24" and tapered them to a fairly thin profile, that would have dropped about 10 pounds off the muzzles and I could have used less counterweight in the buttstock. If it had those changes it probably would have weighed closer to 30 pounds, still very heavy but a lot better than 44 pounds.

My policy is the man with the money gets to decide...with two exceptions to that, one being I won't build anything that is unsafe and two I won't build anything that would damage my reputation as a gunmaker. While 44 pounds is very heavy and makes the gun virtually unusable for any normal hunting situation the overall appearance of the rifle isn't to badly effected by the long heavy barrels. Since my customer is happy with the way it looks, I'm okay with his choices. The other thing I would have done different is; I would have stained the maple a lot darker to get it closer to a walnut color but he likes the color so again if he is happy I have no problem with his choices.

Colin

Last edited by CowboyCS; 01/18/13 01:38 PM.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Is the handgun a 2 bore also?? I've been looking to upgrade my CC!!

Dodging lions and wasting time.....
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Ken,
You must have hit the post button at almost the same I did.
same as above:
The pistol is a 2 Bore Muzzleloader made from a scrap of barrel left over from another 2 Bore project. The bore is the same but because it is a muzzleloader it shoots 1.300" patched round balls. There is a video of me and a friend of mine shooting it before it was finished(it's somewhere in the blog or on my youtube channel, I can post a link if you want.). The pistol weighs 7 pounds and is left handed to match the rifle. Same finish on the metal. The grips are walnut instead of maple like the rifle.

Since it weighs as much as most of my bolt actin rifles it might be a tough one to CC. grin

Colin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.